X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Hdmi????

hello all,

anyone compared the $30 cable to the $300 cable?
    i only use the $30 cables for bluray & comcast hdtv.

hopefully this doesn't become the speaker wire vs. speaker wire fight
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by june
    hello all,

anyone compared the $30 cable to the $300 cable?
    i only use the $30 cables for bluray & comcast hdtv.

Unfortunately, it can easily become that.

I have used a $200 HDMI cable as well as a $10 HDMI cable. For the distance I am going, it really did not make any visual or audible difference.

As long as the cable you are using is a Category 2, you will be fine. That Category 2 specification is for 1080p (actually rated to 1600p) and will support the 340MHz spec in version 1.3 and above.

Do not confuse Category 2 with CL2. CL2 is an IEC specification for residential in-wall capabilities. This is an electrical code and has nothing to do with the HDMI specifications.

If you are going for long runs (over 10 feet) you will want to make sure you use a cable with a large wire gauge, usually 22AWG or larger (wire guage number get smaller as the wire gets larger so 20AWG is larger than 22AWG).

Also, sometimes, but not always, the more expensive cables may have better shielding and may perform better along or in the same vicinity as power cords. Although HDMI is digital, it is still being fed over an electrical current and is still susceptible to EMI.

I hope this answers your questions. Oh, BTW, all my current HDMI cables are from Blue Jeans Cables and vary in length between 3 feet and 5 feet, although I do have one 10 foot cable connecting my plasma to my receiver.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

It won't. The owner of the forum is a cable manufacturer , and it helps support HTGuide. If it gets brand-specific or ugly , a mod will step in and lock the thread.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Basically as long as the HDMI cable meets the required spec , a better cable ( build quality , materials , etc) will not improve anything.

Nothing wrong with wanting nice cables but Digital type cables don't improve like analog and speaker cable can. Even there is a fine line. It all goes back to using the correct cable for the job. Making sure the cable is correctly designed and terminated makes more of a difference then who made it.

So to sum this up , what ever cable you use in your system , make sure it's designed correctly. Once you achieve this goal, there is nothing more can be done.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

As previously stated:

1) Distance (~10 meter is the length limitation for Cat2, unless you utilize extenders, i.e. optical)

2) Shielding (i.e. triple anti-EMI shielding)

3) Certified Cat2 (speeds of 340 MHz, supporting bandwidth of about 10.2 Gbps, and are capable of handling the the latest 1440p and WQXGA resolutions)

4) Pricing

These would be my main considerations.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"