X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    • Sep 2000

Troubleshooting a Marantz AV9000

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member here for a long time, but have been absent lately as the pace of work has increased.

I have a Marantz AV9000 that keeps blowing fuses in the power supply. It has worked for years, and then one day the fuses on the power supply board with the transformer blew. I replaced them and the new fuses lasted for 3 weeks before they blew again. I replaced the fuses a second time and they lasted only 3 days.

Figuring I was facing an uphill battle with just fuses alone, I replaced all of the electrolytic caps (26 of them!) on the regulated power supply board (some of them were truly dead), put in new fuses and put it all back together. This time, it lasted for 3 hours before it died again.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next?

Thanks!
    My DIY Theater Projects
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Could be a bad trace (thermal intermittent) on the PCB. Only way to diagnose for sure is to put it on a scope and see what happens just before the fuses blow.

If you don't have a scope I don't know what to suggest.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eric S
      • Sep 2000

Thanks for the suggestion, Thomas. I don't have a scope (though from time to time an occasional use does arise). I have the full service manual (schematics and parts list), so I was thinking that the next step is simply replacing the transistors from the regulated power supply. I figured I'd start with the ones that are attached to the biggest heat sinks first assuming that they have suffered the most from heat-related stress over the past decade.

Its a shame, its a nice sounding pre-amp. While it worked after I re-capped the power supply, the noise floor was much reduced.
      My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• Eric S
        • Sep 2000

So much for random shots in the dark - replacing the caps and all of the heat sinked transistors (mostly voltage regulators) in the power supply produced the same results. It worked for a few hours then died again. The same fuse is always blown...
        My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I would give their tech support a call, perhaps they can provide some insight.

Just a shot in the dark, have you changed to a lower ohm speaker configuration?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"