What exactly does dolby volume do for me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

What exactly does dolby volume do for me?

I hear the hype about this, but I was wondering if the hype is worth it. To me, it seems like smart sounds(which is something old crt sets used to have pre hdtv. It used to keep the sound of the channel at the same level so when flipping through channels, one channel wouldn't be really loud and the next wouldn't be really silent).

I'm thinking of purchasing either of Emo UMC-1 or Emo XMC-1(whenever it is they finally come out) or another AV receiver that has HDMI and was wondering if this option is something that persuade my buying options.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Jul 2007

Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Dolby demo'd it for me at CEDIA. It was noticeable, and nice. Not something that I'm going to insist is in my next purchase, but it's nice.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• JustinGN
        • May 2009

An interesting feature if you're piping a badly mastered source or HDTV material through the Processor; it's kind of like an Equalizer with Volume Consistency Control, judging by how Dolby presents it. I doubt it'd work the miracles it claims (Being Dolby and all), but it'd definitely be handy for those HDTV Channels or Programs with badly mastered sound.

It's one of those "Nice to have, but not a deal breaker" features.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

If all the thing does is keep the volume from going through the roof when a commercial comes on, it'll be worth every penny in my book.
          -Chuck

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"