X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickp15
    • Aug 2008

Are all HDMI cables created equally?

I need a HDMI cable 25' long to go from my BD to my CRT projector. I see Amazon has the el cheapo for 14$, I am sure there are do's and don'ts for the HDMI cables I just don't know what they are.

Please advise

Thanks, Rick.
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

To answer your thread title... yes and no.

Will inexpensive cables work? Yes. Will they be durable and withstand the test of time? Maybe. The main difference between most cables is construction. Some may have better ends, others may have thicker sheathing. But, for the most part, an HDMI cable will either work or it won't. Common symptoms for bad HDMI cables will be HDCP handshaking issues and pixelation.

If you are running it in-wall/ceiling, you will need a CL2 certified cable. Otherwise, any Category 2 cable will support 1080p material.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

25' isn't a bad distance and you should be fine with a decently constructed cable.

Once you get to 40+ feet, the gauge of the conductors really start coming into play, especially when trying to send 1080p.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

It also depends on your equipment. I previously had a Denon DVD-3910 player, that has a notoriously anemic HDMI output. I too needed a 25' HDMI cable. At first, I used Pacific Cable because they were cheapest, but I kept getting signal loss, dropouts, and flashing snow. I returned it to Pacific Cable. (who then charged me a restocking fee, saying that they checked it out and there was nothing wrong with it, which still irks me) I then bought a 25 or 30' Gefen cable, and it worked just great, same equipment. Now all my HDMI cables are Gefen. Good stuff, fair prices, and I don't have to worry about quality.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

There was some comparison a while back (I think audioholics) where they compared lots of different cables. Short run, they found no differences. It was mentioned that in long runs, Monster Cable (imagine that!) actually worked when other cables started producing artifacts. Try looking it up on Google. That comparison showed some good tests and results.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• rickp15
            • Aug 2008

Thanks, all.

I will try to find the comparison.

I will be sending a 1080P signal to my CRT.

I am only using a 80" wide screen so I should be able to get a referance quality picture and would rather not have a cheap cable mess things up. I am also trying to eliminate as many potential problems as possible since this whole set up is brand new.

Thanks, Rick.

Comment

• JustinGN
              • May 2009

The answer depends on length, obstacles, and interference. In my experience, I've always recommended simple Monoprice HDMI cables for the usual jaunts between sources, processors, and displays - $4 a pop for 3ft., and there's never been an issue with them. That said, if you're running cable in an interference prone area (In-walls, along power cords, etc), you're better off buying a properly shielded CL2 cable; same goes for longer runs, though 25ft. borders on medium/long cable runs. Honestly? I say better safe than sorry, and pony up for a shielded cable.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"