X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p0lar
    • Sep 2008

Search for an A/V Receiver

Hi all,

Based on my expected usage, I'm looking for an A/V receiver to fit the bill. I'm somewhat undetermined on my budget, but would prefer to keep it reasonable since I feel money is better spent in other parts of the system.

First and foremost is stereo audio/music. The input source will be from my computer via a digital fiber (TOSLink I believe), mostly with lossless file formats (FLAC/WAV). I do watch some movies, and would like to have a decent 5.1 setup as well. I suppose the most important aspects are good DACs (Burr-Brown hopefully), 5.1 channel line-level outputs (I plan on using an external amp from NAD or Rotel), and digital inputs. Video pass-thru/upscaling isn't worth the justification in cost to me.

With that in mind, does anyone have any budgetary recommendations for me? I'm not really interested in a pre/pro setup since it seems most are well out of line cost-wise.

Thanks!
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I think your question is way too wide open without at least giving some indication of a starting price. For instance, the Denon AVR-3808CI would be a great choice (even streams FLAC/WAV over an Ethernet connection). The SRP is $1699, but can easily be had for about 35% less than that.
    Brad

Comment

• p0lar
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Blindamood
      I think your question is way too wide open without at least giving some indication of a starting price. For instance, the Denon AVR-3808CI would be a great choice (even streams FLAC/WAV over an Ethernet connection). The SRP is $1699, but can easily be had for about 35% less than that.
      I was hoping around the $500-$600 mark to be honest, but that may be completely unachievable. Older technology, i.e. 5.1 gear, is more than acceptable for my application as long as it meets my requirements. I'm not as interested in whiz-bang features as I am solid DAC performance. The built-in amp is of little concern, excepting it may eventually drive some kitchen speakers. :T

Comment

• p0lar
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by p0lar
        I was hoping around the $500-$600 mark to be honest, but that may be completely unachievable. Older technology, i.e. 5.1 gear, is more than acceptable for my application as long as it meets my requirements. I'm not as interested in whiz-bang features as I am solid DAC performance. The built-in amp is of little concern, excepting it may eventually drive some kitchen speakers. :T
        With some digging, I found a few thus far that qualify..

Yamaha RX-V661
        Yamaha RX-V663 - $399 @ jr.com (mention AVSforum and Larone for special pricing, seems to use Burr-Brown PCM1704 DACs)

Others?
        Last edited by p0lar; 20 October 2008, 22:40 Monday.

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

A used Arcam AVR can be had for around that price and should meet your spec.

Martyn

Comment

• Gump
            • Sep 2005

I've always preferred the warm sound of Marantz AV receivers for stereo/audio. Onkyo is a close second. Both have receivers with-in your price range and are worth a listen.

Comment

• p0lar
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gump
              I've always preferred the warm sound of Marantz AV receivers for stereo/audio. Onkyo is a close second. Both have receivers with-in your price range and are worth a listen.
              I do like some of the upper-end Onkyo's; unfortunately, the newer ones don't use Burr-Brown DACs in the midrange-models (or at least not through the 806), they also don't have pre-amp outputs unless you buy at least the 706, and they're not within the price range I'm looking for.

Marantz makes good stuff, I might look at their offerings.

Thanks!

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Burrbrown isn't exactly the Bees knees... There are things equally as good or even better

Comment

• p0lar
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by edulcni
                  I think it would be cool to compare receiver ratings. This way, you'll know if it sucks or not.
                  Review sites are deceptive, especially those that advertise where to find the products they're rating. Biased ratings can generate sales which benefit the reviewer (and site); thus, they can't be trusted where advertising revenue is concerned.

Comment

• p0lar
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    Burrbrown isn't exactly the Bees knees... There are things equally as good or even better
                    I have no qualm to admit that DAC performance can be subjectively evaluated, but a cheap DAC will manifest its ugly head quickly. Also, there are many different DACs that Burr-Brown makes. This being stated, the Yamaha RX-V663 uses PCM1704s, which are highly regarded.

Perhaps the newer Cirrus Logic DACs in the new Onkyo lines are good, I've not given them a listen yet (and to be fair, I should).

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

The new Cirrus logic stuff is supposed to be very good. Also just about any receiver you get in the price range your looking at doesn't use cheap DAC's. Although in general DAC's are not very expensive. Even the higher end Sony stuff uses rather good DAC's.

Comment

• p0lar
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        The new Cirrus logic stuff is supposed to be very good. Also just about any receiver you get in the price range your looking at doesn't use cheap DAC's. Although in general DAC's are not very expensive. Even the higher end Sony stuff uses rather good DAC's.
                        Well, in the $500 range, I seem to be finding great variance in quality and specs. It's right on the cusp between average and decent, which is why I'm really trying to find what best suits my application rather than paying extra for features I'll never use. Honestly, I don't mind shelling out for a great amplifier because that technology really never makes itself obsolete. I'm eyeballing the NAD T955 with great interest simply because it allows me to use a decent receiver for a few years and still achieve fantastic results from a power perspective without having the cumbersome task of trying to source a good receiver/amp combination all in one unit; then, upgrade again at moderate cost if/when I decide I want to do something more. 4 Ohm stability is a must, and I would take a good A/B switch over HDMI switching/upscaling any day of the week. So, my priorities probably aren't in line with most, but they are identified!

The BB PCM1704s go for ~$12 each in lots of 1000, if I seem to be reading correctly, which is actually on the high side since each discreet I/O needs one. There are others that can multiplex, some more or less expensive, but have drawbacks based on implementation. It's all rather interesting stuff the way they're implemented and I've every intention of uncovering the logic board in whatever I decide on to have a look for myself.

Comment

• servicetech
                          • Sep 2007

Look into the entry level Denon's, you can find the 08's on clearance for $250 or so. I recently picked up a 7.1 ch AVR-1508 for $230.

Comment

• p0lar
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by servicetech
                            Look into the entry level Denon's, you can find the 08's on clearance for $250 or so. I recently picked up a 7.1 ch AVR-1508 for $230.
                            Unfortunately, the AVR-1508 lacks pre-amp outputs though they are kind enough to tell you exactly which DACs they use (Burr-Brown PCM1791). I applaud their honesty, even in their marketing department.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look at a few other of their models too.

Comment

• p0lar
                              • Sep 2008

It looks like the Denon AVR-2808CI is the lowest model to support preamp outputs. Though it is a fine receiver, its cost:feature ratio is too high, making its value exceptionally low. In other words, Denon appears to be out of budget for the features I'm interested in.

Apparently, the Yamaha RX-V663 can be had for $399, no tax, no shipping charges from jr.com if you mention another popular forum site.

Comment

• p0lar
                                • Sep 2008

Just a quick update to this thread, I ended up with the Yamaha RX-V663 coupled to an Emotiva XPA-5. I'm not using it for HT use, or very light since it's still only a 2 channel configuration, but my ears are pleased thus far. The combo meets my pre-defined criteria at a very reasonable price. Next up are speakers, but the models I seem to prefer are out of budget -- DIY, here I come.

Total cost of receiver + amp: $1050.00 USD

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"