Is there any standalone device that can play IFOs, VOBs, BlueRay ripped from a HD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pwangdel
    • Aug 2008

Is there any standalone device that can play IFOs, VOBs, BlueRay ripped from a HD?

Greetings:

I would like to backup all my DVDs and BlueRay collection onto several HD. Is there any standalone device that:
    - Can hook directly into either my Denon AVR-4806 or Plasma TV TH-50PX77U HDMI port.
    - Has DTS support
    - Has a swappable or interchangeable HD (500GB and beyond) capability.
    - Allows to play the IFOs, VOBs and eventually BlueRay ripped format if needs be.

Thanks in advance for your time and help
    KLIPSCH RSW-12 Sub
    JBL THX Certified speakers HT1F (front & center), 2X HT1D (surround + surround back).
    Panasonic TH-50PX77U
    Sony DVPNC85H/S
    Playstation 3
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

There is one although I can't remember right now... An HTPC obviously. There are ways to make it work on the PS3 but its a bit of a pain.

Comment

• pwangdel
      • Aug 2008

Thanks for the info.
      Please let me know if you remember the model#.
      I don't want something that is complicated to set up and be able to swap HD easily like a computer HD rack.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, the only thing I can recommend is to build/buy an HTPC. We're not talking anything cosmic, and you can buy ones pre-made.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well if your trying to play 1080p files should be pretty decent. But if its just 720p thats pretty easy.

Comment

• cxc21
            • Mar 2008

Not sure where you are located, but in most places this is illegal and I wouldn't advertise this. Anyway, a PC is your only option to play all these formats and a fast and expensive one at that. But then the problem is to get good audio out of a PC........

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Umm playing backups of your own movies is not illegal. Downloading pirated movies is. Not the same thing.

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                Umm playing backups of your own movies is not illegal. Downloading pirated movies is. Not the same thing.
                Not entirely true. It all depends on the licensing and DRM.

People can shout Fair Use all they want, but if you purchase something with a license attached to it, you have to abide by the license. If the license is illegal, I guess you can fight it in court ($$$), but otherwise you agree to the license when you buy it. I believe Blu-ray has some backup allowances in it's license/DRM, but I'm not sure it's being implemented.
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well there are countless lawsuits still going on right now about that. And until supreme court or someone else rules differently for the time being fair use act still applies. The whole thing about the lawsuits is the company trying to prove its legal for them to say you can't copy it onto another device you have. Honestly I don't think anyone here is going to say anything about someone copying media for their own use as backups. I guarantee there is not one person who has not done this on this forum. Weather it be music, movies, or whatever in some way or form you have used a personal backup.

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                    Well there are countless lawsuits still going on right now about that. And until supreme court or someone else rules differently for the time being fair use act still applies. The whole thing about the lawsuits is the company trying to prove its legal for them to say you can't copy it onto another device you have. Honestly I don't think anyone here is going to say anything about someone copying media for their own use as backups. I guarantee there is not one person who has not done this on this forum. Weather it be music, movies, or whatever in some way or form you have used a personal backup.
                    I think backups are a good thing, but I also think you have to have some way to prevent piracy. Locking transfers to hardware ala iTunes, or what I believe is the backup licensing for HD-DVD and maybe Blu-ray, would work until you need to replace your hardware. Though there are ways to work with that as well. I think Blu-ray would be easier to implement here because it is much less portable than music.
                    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I don't know hard drive costs are coming down rapidly so 4-8 gigs for an HD movie (usually the size of a BD backup depending on how you back it up) isn't a ton.

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

4-8GBs? Talk about a compressed HD stream.

Most of my Blu-Rays put down to disc are about 27GB, granted if you rip out the extra audio tracks & extras, that helps...

Hard Drive technology still has a way to go to really catch up with the storage needed to make a "good" media server.
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Well I've got some rips that I've done that are around 10gb's for 1080p and its probably not quite BD quality but they have DTS and what not and a variable bit rate that is around 18Mbps and they look pretty darn good. But in the end it's a lot of hassle to backup a blu-ray movie so I stick to the discs. Not to mention all the space required

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"