X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
    I don't think the jump from VHS -> DVD had as much to do with quality as some on here believe. Heck, the first what, 5-8 years of DVD were letterboxed or pan & scan? I think what sold DVD was no more rewinding or tapes that get worn out, being able to skip to wherever you want on the disc, less bulky, etc.
    All the things you describe are part of the "quality of the experience"--though I noticed, on a then 13 year old SD CRT (for which I had to buy a little converter box as it did not even have a composite RCA input), better PQ even on non-anamorphic DVDs (as did a lot of my friends).

Comment

• H.T.C
      • Nov 2003

I don't think the jump from VHS -> DVD had as much to do with quality as some on here believe. Heck, the first what, 5-8 years of DVD were letterboxed or pan & scan? I think what sold DVD was no more rewinding or tapes that get worn out, being able to skip to wherever you want on the disc, less bulky, etc.
      I think you have one of the right reasons about the public going to dvd from tape ... remember this sign ...be kind rewind.
      Robert

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
        Don't make the mistake of comparing product lifecycles directly. Technology moves much, much faster today then it did when DVD came out. A couple of years back then is around 6 months today. Blu-ray is going into its 3rd year.
        Three years is an eternity in the computer world!! Home electronics moves much more slooooooowly which is why the big CE guys never saw the ipod and iTune coming their way like a tsunami!:P

If they continue Apple might just enjoy taking their lunch with High def download and then you can kiss Blu Ray good buy. Everyone now streams their music even if they buy a CD. The same will happen with movies except Apple and other will deliver the high def content.
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation

There is one factor to consider, though--DVD was, to EVERYONE, a clear and HUGE leap in quality above VHS. The same view is NOT universally shared in the case of BD vs SD DVD.
          That's pretty much my way of thinking, too. Now I did spend well over $1K for my 480i Sony 7700 dvd player, but it was the high end baby for my theater. I had cheaper $2-$300 players elsewhere in the house. And when the dust settles, and I know for sure that a high-end Blu-ray player is exactly a high end, glitch-free, Blu-ray player, I would likely consider putting one in my theater and moving the Panny BD30 to another room. In the meantime, though, I do feel that entry level Blu-ray players are overpriced.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wettou
            Three years is an eternity in the computer world!! Home electronics moves much more slooooooowly ....
            Very true, but the home electronics of today are essentially computer systems. You have programmable chips that can be updated with new code. You can update the technology to an extent, without having to move to an entirely new product line. This also in a way skews the pricing model, but you're not going to convince the average consumer to pay more because of a feature most think is commonplace in the computer age.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Very true, but the home electronics of today are essentially computer systems. You have programmable chips that can be updated with new code. You can update the technology to an extent, without having to move to an entirely new product line. This also in a way skews the pricing model, but you're not going to convince the average consumer to pay more because of a feature most think is commonplace in the computer age.
              Maybe except CE manufacturer don't they want to sell new boxes!!
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• georgev
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                That's pretty much my way of thinking, too. Now I did spend well over $1K for my 480i Sony 7700 dvd player, but it was the high end baby for my theater. I had cheaper $2-$300 players elsewhere in the house. And when the dust settles, and I know for sure that a high-end Blu-ray player is exactly a high end, glitch-free, Blu-ray player, I would likely consider putting one in my theater and moving the Panny BD30 to another room. In the meantime, though, I do feel that entry level Blu-ray players are overpriced.

Hows your BD 30 George?

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

FWIW, Blu-Ray.com is showing the upcoming Sony BDP-S550 (release scheduled for fall of this year) with an MSRP of $499 and it's a full blown BD-Live 2.0 player.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by georgev
                    Hows your BD 30 George?
                    It's a terrific player, George. Most reviewers have rated it as the best of the crop. I have nothing to compare it to so I'll just take their word. But I have owned it since January 6 and it has played everything I have thrown at it glitch free, which is about 45 to 50 movies by now. It also fires up pretty quickly on most titles. I'd recommend it to anybody. But if you want a live player, you will have to pay a bit more to get the BD50 or as Tex Meek just mentioned, pay a little less and get the Sony.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• cxc21
                      • Mar 2008

If that's true though, where is Blu-ray's successor after 3 years so far?
                      How about this. The confusion continues.

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

I wouldn't really call that a "successor." My comment you quoted was in reference to littlesaint talking about how technology advancements occur much faster now than they did when we went from VHS -> DVD. Blu-ray -> Whateverthisnewthingiscalled wouldn't really be a technology advancement.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• cxc21
                          • Mar 2008

Well, if that works, most won't need blue ray for a while.

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

I don't understand what you mean... the thing toshiba is coming up with would still require a separate player...
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

If the player works as advertised, though, one won't need "blu" discs as SD DVDs will look "as good" (again, if the claims are true). So the new player would be the only cost to get in on 'the good stuff' (and they are supposed to be available at an MSRP of 200$).

Meh--I'll get one to go with my SED display. Should make a great match.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

That's not what the new toshiba product is though. The link he pasted talks of a disc that will look "as good" as blu-rays, but only in a new player. The "backwards compatibility" was that the same disc would play (albeit not in HD) on a regular DVD player. Basically this is almost no different than an HD-DVD combo disc was. The article he pasted equated it to how SACDs can play in a normal CD player but play higher quality audio in a SACD player.

It does not say that the new player will make current SD-DVDs look "as good" as blu-rays. That would be impossible.
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

There are other articles, however, where such a claim (implicitly, but still) IS being made. Of course it is not LITERALLY possible, but with the reports of much greater computer processing and the application of a next-gen video processing software (I'm not an engineer, but if I understood correctly, it has something to do with processing across multiple frames rather than frame by frame), it could be significantly better than current "upconversion" and, on sub 50 inch displays, the difference between BD and SD DVD in that situation may become far smaller. It's all pure speculation, at this point, but the potential for this tech, if it is even half as good as advertised, is quite good. It can be incorporated into BD players to make SD look that much better, it can be put into displays directly (which would be a boon for other sources going to the display). I'm not holding my breath, but I would not dismiss it entirely out of hand either.

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

Well that does sound great, but to the original question I wouldn't really see it as a "successor" to blu-ray.
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• georgev
                                      • Jul 2004

But if you want a live player, you will have to pay a bit more to get the BD50 or as Tex Meek just mentioned, pay a little less and get the Sony.
                                      Live Player? Whats that?(sorry if it's a foolish question)
                                      I will need a player that does decoding on board and send sthe signals via a 7.1 analog to my Pre/Pro

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by georgev
                                        Live Player? Whats that?(sorry if it's a foolish question)
                                        I will need a player that does decoding on board and send sthe signals via a 7.1 analog to my Pre/Pro
                                        Live simply means it is 2.0 and has a port for internet connection. Also, George, my BD30 does not decode. It bitstreams to a receiver that can do the decoding. I believe the BD50 will do internal decoding, but you had best check it out before buying when it becomes available.
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

The only players that are currently announced that will decode ALL the audio codecs internally AND pass them out via analogue MCH outputs are the Panny BD50 and the Sony S550. Perhaps the 2000$ plus Denon (don't remember the model number) does this as well, but it's not on my radar. Right now (though it remains to be confirmed), the Sony is at the top of my list with its MSRP supposed to be 499$. That represents what I'm prepared to spend over a PS3 to get the advanced audio codecs. If it comes in at BD50 prices, I'll go without the advanced audio for now, get a PS3 and upgrade my receiver sometime down the line. With my A2, relying only on "core" audio tracks, I've been sufficiently impressed that I think I can live without "lossless" for a while without feeling like my life is empty, meaningless and tortured (as some "lossless only" posters in various fora have indicated).

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

FYI, not sure if it's been posted here, but Walmart is currently offering a $100 gift card with purchase of a blu-ray player. Yes, that includes the PS3.
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                                              The only players that are currently announced that will decode ALL the audio codecs internally AND pass them out via analogue MCH outputs are the Panny BD50 and the Sony S550. Perhaps the 2000$ plus Denon (don't remember the model number) does this as well, but it's not on my radar. Right now (though it remains to be confirmed), the Sony is at the top of my list with its MSRP supposed to be 499$. That represents what I'm prepared to spend over a PS3 to get the advanced audio codecs. If it comes in at BD50 prices, I'll go without the advanced audio for now, get a PS3 and upgrade my receiver sometime down the line. With my A2, relying only on "core" audio tracks, I've been sufficiently impressed that I think I can live without "lossless" for a while without feeling like my life is empty, meaningless and tortured (as some "lossless only" posters in various fora have indicated).
                                              There is also the Pioneer BDP-51FD at $599.00 US and the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD at $799.00 US. Both are shipping in July (at this point anyway).

Eric

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Analogue MCH output on each of them--and not just of PCM? Perhaps there are more options on the horizon--but 599$ is more than I want to pay.

Edit to add: The Pioneers, unlike the Sony and Panny, are NOT Profile 2.0.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                  There is also the Pioneer BDP-51FD at $599.00 US and the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD at $799.00 US. Both are shipping in July (at this point anyway).
                                                  The official Blu-ray site is still showing them shipping on July 18th.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

All this stuff about analogue multi-channel out raises a big question.

Is the analogue stage on these players going to be any good. If not then HD audio benefits will be lost anyway.

I have heard a CD on a good CD player beat a SACD on a Denon 3910 hi def audio player.
                                                    I suspect that unless the analogue stage on the blueray player and the gazillion cables (7 or whatever) are up to scratch you have gained little over a good receiver doing DTS (particularly when I borrow a decent power cord off my CD player and use it on my receiver).

Unless convinced otherwise I would save the dollars and go with the cheaper BD30 player and enjoy the nice pictures.
                                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                      All this stuff about analogue multi-channel out raises a big question.

Is the analogue stage on these players going to be any good. If not then HD audio benefits will be lost anyway.

I have heard a CD on a good CD player beat a SACD on a Denon 3910 hi def audio player.
                                                      I suspect that unless the analogue stage on the blueray player and the gazillion cables (7 or whatever) are up to scratch you have gained little over a good receiver doing DTS (particularly when I borrow a decent power cord off my CD player and use it on my receiver).

Unless convinced otherwise I would save the dollars and go with the cheaper BD30 player and enjoy the nice pictures.
                                                      The analog stage on my XA2 HD-DVD player is decent. The DACs are Burr-Brown 1755 for 5.1 and Wolfsen 8740 for separate stereo connections with JRC 4580 dual op-amps on all channels. Not top of the line, but certainly no worse than a lot of AVRs out there. No reason Blu-ray players can't follow suit.

Remember that although HD audio supports 24/192, film is only 24/48 at best. Some video may be 24/96, but it's not that common.
                                                      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2007

The analog stage on my XA2 HD-DVD player is decent. The DACs are Burr-Brown 1755 for 5.1 and Wolfsen 8740 for separate stereo connections with JRC 4580 dual op-amps on all channels. Not top of the line, but certainly no worse than a lot of AVRs out there. No reason Blu-ray players can't follow suit.

Remember that although HD audio supports 24/192, film is only 24/48 at best. Some video may be 24/96, but it's not that common.
                                                        I have a question for you. I've never really used any of the HD-DVD players so do they give you the ability to set speakers at small, large, or none; have crossover settings, like selectable frequencies; speaker distance; and channel level for each front speaker, center, each rear, and sub? The only BD player that has that that I've used is the Denon DVD-3800BDCI. Without that stuff the multi-channel analog output is not worth using IMO. I've even come across a BD player that will decode Dolby TrueHD but only output the decoded signal through the HDMI output. The analog only gets the shadow DD track.

Eric

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                          I have a question for you. I've never really used any of the HD-DVD players so do they give you the ability to set speakers at small, large, or none; have crossover settings, like selectable frequencies; speaker distance; and channel level for each front speaker, center, each rear, and sub? The only BD player that has that that I've used is the Denon DVD-3800BDCI. Without that stuff the multi-channel analog output is not worth using IMO. I've even come across a BD player that will decode Dolby TrueHD but only output the decoded signal through the HDMI output. The analog only gets the shadow DD track.

Eric
                                                          Yes, they have bass management. Though, some complain about the sub output being -10 db.

I use the analog out on my XA1 and am very pleased with the results. Even with my center channel being mislabeled ( reading small but actually is large and vis-verse). For the bass difference, I just bump the sub trim on my pre/pro to compensate.
                                                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"