X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Blu-ray audio all over the board

I don't own a receiver that handles HDMI so my sound is plain vanilla dolby digital via a coax cable. What I am finding is that the audio from various blu-ray discs is all over the board, with many of them recorded at dangerously high levels. 30 Days Of Night was really loud and most recently Enchanted nearly melted my Energy subs. You really have to be careful, especially those who set their volume at reference, or else you may damage your speakers. I usually have the volume set at -12 below reference on my receiver, and this setting has always worked for most of the 1000 or so dvds in my collection -- with the odd exception. But with Blu-ray discs, there were only a few I could actually play at this setting ( most I have to lower to -20 or more ) without being fearful of blowing my speakers. So now, when playing a Blu disc, I lower the volume significantly until I get an idea what kind of volume I am dealing with, then adjust the setting accordingly. Is it just me, or is anyone else encountering this situation.
    My Homepage!
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

I wonder if this may be an issue with their dolby digital tracks. I also usually have mine set around -12, and haven't really had to change it much for blu-rays or HD-DVDs.
    -Chuck

Comment

• H.T.C
      • Nov 2003

The amplifier i have does not adjust by a readout so i do it manually to taste but the audio tracks due seem to have a increase in volume (loudness) and i turn it down.

This is corrected or compensated by the update (2.20) for movies played (dolby digital) on ps3 which can be adjusted on the system menu.

Edit: update (2.20) is for dialogue and softens background noise or loudness on pcm tracks.

re edit : 2.20 is for mosquito noise reduction for movies and the dialogue filtering was already there in the menu.
      Last edited by H.T.C; 25 March 2008, 13:00 Tuesday.
      Robert

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by impala454
        I wonder if this may be an issue with their dolby digital tracks. I also usually have mine set around -12, and haven't really had to change it much for blu-rays or HD-DVDs.
        That could be the case. It could also be a peculiarity with my player, a Panasonic BD30, when it defaults to the core DD 5.1 for my Denon 3801 receiver. I have only played a couple of discs that had DTS HD defaulting to DTS core and to be honest, I don't recall having a loudness problem there. So, yes, perhaps it is the core Dolby Digital tracks. Just a nusiance, I guess. But I wanted to warn anyone else who may also find the audio awfully loud. I haven't damaged my speakers so far, but I haven't checked the foundation yet for cracks ...
        My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          That could be the case. It could also be a peculiarity with my player, a Panasonic BD30, when it defaults to the core DD 5.1 for my Denon 3801 receiver. I have only played a couple of discs that had DTS HD defaulting to DTS core and to be honest, I don't recall having a loudness problem there. So, yes, perhaps it is the core Dolby Digital tracks. Just a nusiance, I guess. But I wanted to warn anyone else who may also find the audio awfully loud. I haven't damaged my speakers so far, but I haven't checked the foundation yet for cracks ...
          Lol, it does appear certain films may be recorded at a higher volume enough to shake the foundation and walls but i think the movie studios just want to make sure those surround receivers are working properly. :B
          Robert

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Is the DD playback a true DD track, or a TrueHD track that is transcoded to DD? There is a difference.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• NMG
              • Oct 2004

Interesting observation George. I've only watched two BR discs thus far (I Am Legend and Hitman) and based on my recollection, both were quite loud, especially during peaks. To compensate, I just lowered the volume (which incidentally I usually fiddle with to find the "right level" at the start of the movie anyway). If you just rely on a "reference" setting, then yeah, I could see how you'd be surprised

Incidentally, I did find the bass on Hitman to be way too much. I actually turned my sub down to compensate. I never have to do that. I wonder if the sound engineers are just making everything a little "hot" on purpose? It probably would make for a more impressive demo at the stores . . .

Meant to add, I'm pretty sure these were just plain ole DD 5.1 tracks.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Hmm... I haven't noticed moves on my PS3 or HD-DVD player being different volumes. I do use HDMI for those. My equipment rack is in a different room from the theater, though, and I've been adjusting the volume as appropriate, not looking to see where it ends up.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by littlesaint
                  Is the DD playback a true DD track, or a TrueHD track that is transcoded to DD? There is a difference.
                  Most seem to be TrueHD transcoded to DD and maybe that's where the problem lies.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

I watched Flight of the Phoenix the other night.

WOW... I had to turn down my subwoofer. I normally watched movies at maybe 60 or 62 on my 1098 volume control.

I watched this movie at 56.
                    -Joe

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"