X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roteller
    • Nov 2007

Directional Audio Cables

Hi, can someone shed some light on some audio cables I purchased that have arrows on them. I want to run the cables from my RSP 1066 to my RMB 1095 but not quite sure which direction the arrows should be pointed. Thanks
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Point to the amp

Roteller,

The arrows go from the 1066 to the amp.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

AFAIK, typically, the arrow on an analog RCA style interconnect will indicate which end the shielding is terminated on. If you experience noise, such as stray low-level radio stations or buzzing/hum caused by electromagnetic fields generated by power cords and power supplies, sometimes reversing the cable can help attenuate the unwanted signal.

Also, if a cable has been ‘cooked’, the arrow may indicate the direction of electron flow during the ‘burn-in’.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

agree with WK.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• servicetech
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
          Also, if a cable has been ‘cooked’, the arrow may indicate the direction of electron flow during the ‘burn-in’.
          Huh? I can understand the shielding termination making a difference, but "cooking" the wire makes no sense to me.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I'd like to see more people use a name in their posts!

Cooking refers to the process of running a low voltage electrical charge through a cable for a period of time to condition the wire for electron flow. Like it or not, wire is directional, and conditioning it for a direction makes sense.

that is why CAT's silver cables are conditioned, and why they have directional arrors.

Doug

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Several cable manufacturers actually charge extra for it. CAT Cables does it to all their audio ICs.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

I'm going to tread lightly here since Lex is the boss :B , but I have a hard time agreeing with the directional cable theory. Audio signals are AC which means by definition, the electrons move in both directions sympathetic to the applied signal. If the cable truly is directional, it would technically be a semiconductor and acting as a rectifier, which would certainly be a "bad thing".

-Santino
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Isn't the important part of the signal carried only on one portion of the sine wave?
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
                    Isn't the important part of the signal carried only on one portion of the sine wave?
                    Not sure about that, but regardless of the audio signal, it's still alternating current and therefore electrons have to move unimpeded in both directions.
                    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• chrispy35
                      • Feb 2004

Nope. The entire signal is important, there is no modulation on signals in an audio system so the shape of the amplitude waveform on the wire will ideally match the shape of the SPL amplitude in the air. I don't know exactly what half of a sinewave sounds like but I imagine it's not pleasant.

If only half of the waveform was important, we could make our amps 50% more efficient right away by just chopping off the negative portion of the input signal.

Like littlesaint said, it should perform equally well in both directions...

Chris P.

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

If only half of the waveform was important, we could make our amps 50% more efficient right away by just chopping off the negative portion of the input signal
                        Isn't that what DC headphone/phono amps do? Not trying to be difficult , just trying to learn.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

it should perform equally well in both directions...
                          I should be rich and good lookin'. Lemme tell you how that worked out.......
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• chrispy35
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                            I should be rich and good lookin'. Lemme tell you how that worked out.......
                            I'm sure in an AB test, your mother (owner?), would probably say you're both...others may argue the test wasn't properly done. :P

Chris P.

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Ok, final answer, yes, an audio cable will perform both directions. but YES, a cable cooker is able to condition wire. Silver is the most brittle sounding wire for cables when new. It is not until the wire settles into a system that it begins to sound best. This is true. What the cooker does is give a head start on this conditioning, and the arrows allow you to see which way conditioning was performed. This may or may not make a difference with copper cables, ut can't hurt though. But silver is unique, and as such must be treated so for best performance. This is why many people say silver is bright, to bright, but hardly a CAT customer has ever returned one of our silver cables. Excellent silver, and excellent conditioning are the difference.
                              Doug

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Who returned a Silvercat?!?! Where's He/She at, We'll hunt them down and... well.. do something to them! :P :T ha ha
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"