X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mukaudio
    • Oct 2005

New sound formats in HD-DVD & Blu-Ray?

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were both touting the new sound formats from Dolby and DTS. Not just Dolby Digital Plus and DTS +, but their lossless algorithms.

However, I've been browsing the titles in stores and noticed that many of them don't even seem to have Dolby Digital Plus.

Anyway, do you think that the studios will re-release their titles with better sound? Seems lame not to release all the titles with the cool new formats.

...Hmm, I also just noticed that DTS is claiming they are a "mandatory" format for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I don't think I've noticed a single title that advertises DTS on the packaging.

Mark.
    Mark
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Mukaudio
    Anyway, do you think that the studios will re-release their titles with better sound? Seems lame not to release all the titles with the cool new formats.
    They probably have not set up the production chains nor have the software tools in place to take advantage of these yet, and the video quality bump took complete precedence over improving sound on their priority list. The formats are still in their infancy don't forget.

...Hmm, I also just noticed that DTS is claiming they are a "mandatory" format for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I don't think I've noticed a single title that advertises DTS on the packaging.

Mark.
    Mandatory refers to the fact that all players must support decoding and playback of a DTS soundtrack if it is present on the disc. The studios are free to use any one, some or all of the supported formats on their discs.

BB

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

Like Brandon said, video quality bump was more important than the "audio quality improvement". I have the Toshiba HDA1, and the only way to have Dolby TrueHD was via 6 analog RCA cables directly into your receiver or preamp. You'd also need a firmware upgrade disc to upgrade to the 2.0 version firmware. If you are buying HD DVD for better audio quality, you might want to do a bit more research as some will tell you that TrueHD is better than older Dolby formats, while some will tell you that there is no difference. Everyone's system and sense of hearing is different. If you are buying mainly for improved picture quality, that's a different story completly. Tell you what though, after seeing HD DVDs, it's hard to go back watching your SD DVDs.

Comment

• Mukaudio
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
        Tell you what though, after seeing HD DVDs, it's hard to go back watching your SD DVDs.
        I can believe that. Red laser looks pretty good on my new Wega, but I've found myself recording random HDTV programming on cable just b/c I want to see a HD picture. It is simply incredible.
        Mark

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mukaudio
          HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were both touting the new sound formats from Dolby and DTS. Not just Dolby Digital Plus and DTS +, but their lossless algorithms.

However, I've been browsing the titles in stores and noticed that many of them don't even seem to have Dolby Digital Plus.

Mark.
          HD-DVD utilizes DD+ their discs and some have the DolbyTrue HD also. From the start BR was utilizing uncompressed PCM, though the DD+ is now showing up on some discs.

Comment

• Rolyasm
            • Dec 2004

I am pretty sure that you won't be able to utilize any of the newest formats until the newer receivers come out. DTS-master will be lossless, and so far, nothing on the market will accomodate that. Should be great when it arrives. I think the current DTS handles 750 or 1.5 mgb/s, while the new formats will go up to the mid 20's. Should be very noticeable.
            Roly

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

You can use them if the player decodes them and puts them out over analog and your existing setup has 5.1 or 7.1 inputs you want to hog up for movie playback, but that is a lot of "if".

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Wait, 20 mbps? Whoa...
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Mbps. mbps would be pretty slow.

Nitpick

And mgbs? I used to drive those. Had an MGC for awhile too.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Heck, all I know is 1.21 Gigawatts.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• gostan
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by Brandon B
                      You can use them if the player decodes them and puts them out over analog and your existing setup has 5.1 or 7.1 inputs you want to hog up for movie playback, but that is a lot of "if".

BB
                      The Anthem D2 will do the same via HDMI as it internally converts the audio codec to up to 8.1 PCM.
                      Stan

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Wouldn't call that a "receiver", now would you?

I'd forgotten the Anthem was already up to speed.

BB

Comment

• ht_addict
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Rolyasm
                          I am pretty sure that you won't be able to utilize any of the newest formats until the newer receivers come out. DTS-master will be lossless, and so far, nothing on the market will accomodate that. Should be great when it arrives. I think the current DTS handles 750 or 1.5 mgb/s, while the new formats will go up to the mid 20's. Should be very noticeable.
                          Roly

The Toshiba A1/XA1 do the decoding internally then send the signal via analog or HDMI to your receiver as PCM, which receivers have no problem decoding as long as you have those connections to receive the signal.

Comment

• maseline_98
                            • Apr 2005

I have a marantz sr-8400 and I was wondering what my options are for TrueHD via HD-DVD players. I do not have a HDMI input on my receiver and I can't really say that I want to go out and buy a new anytime soon. I love the sound of it, but I want to get the new sound format. I have a 7.1 channel analog input on it, but I think toshiba's new HD-DVD player doesn't have analog outputs(just HDMI). Do you think that as new players come out, they will shade away from the analog outs and opt for HDMI 1.3 only.

Other thoughts:
                            My TV kds-60a2000 and couldn't be happier with it :T -->can't wait til I get my new HD-DVD player.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                            Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• ht_addict
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by maseline_98
                              I have a marantz sr-8400 and I was wondering what my options are for TrueHD via HD-DVD players. I do not have a HDMI input on my receiver and I can't really say that I want to go out and buy a new anytime soon. I love the sound of it, but I want to get the new sound format. I have a 7.1 channel analog input on it, but I think toshiba's new HD-DVD player doesn't have analog outputs(just HDMI). Do you think that as new players come out, they will shade away from the analog outs and opt for HDMI 1.3 only.

Other thoughts:
                              My TV kds-60a2000 and couldn't be happier with it :T -->can't wait til I get my new HD-DVD player.
                              HDMI is a one cable solution and the way off the future. I would suggest you get the first generation Toshiba if you can live with the crappy remote and extended boot time(45sec). Let the A1 do all the decoding and pass it to your receiver via analog. Not to mention if you buy an A1 now you get 3 free HD movies.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                • May 2004

for those that are considering the Toshiba HDA1, the HDA2 is rumored to be shipping soon. Rumor has it that the HDA2 has a much faster loading time, but it does not have the analog 5.1 outputs currently used to send the TrueHD format to current receivers. I'm thinking about selling my HDA1 for the A2.

Comment

• maseline_98
                                  • Apr 2005

I don't think I'm quite ready to get one yet...I'm hoping the a better player will come out within a few months with analog inputs(i guess). I hope that is the case. I don't know if I could bare the long load times because I know I would end up buying another one anyway.

And I thought TrueHD is going to be passed through a 7.1

"*Dolby TrueHD can support more than eight audio channels. HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit their maximum number of audio channels to eight."

Edit: If the signal is being passed over HDMI, does it have to be an HDMI v1.3 to obtain the TrueHD(lossless signal) and from what I've seen, there aren't any receivers/processors out there that carry it, I've seen HDMI 1.2 and I have no idea the difference from 1.1 to 1.2.

-->the more I read, the more questions I have...
                                  Last edited by maseline_98; 31 October 2006, 19:17 Tuesday.

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                  Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"