X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JHDEFTECH
    • Dec 2005

Center channel diffiecult to hear

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has advice or corrections for having difficulty hearing dialog in most movies. It seems that the center channel has a much lower recording level than the rest of the channels. I find myself cranking up my system to hear the conversation and then turning down when I am blown out of my chair from the action. I have used a spl meter to set all my speaker levels correctly and even matched my subs to the proper level.. Is this something I will have to live with or is there a cure?

My System

Denon avr-3805
    Definitive Tech BP20's front
    Definitive Tech CLR1000 center
    Definitive Tech BP2X surround
    Definitive Tech Studio Monitor 350 rears

2 Subs
    M&K MX200 & Definitive Tech Super Cube 1
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

Look in the manual for the reciever for a setting that should be called something like "dynamic range" and set it to "small" or something equivalent to that.

I remember reading somewhere that DVD movies the dynamic range is like 110 dB as opposed to CDs which is closer to 100 dB. If you set is lower it should bring the volume of the action scenes by quite a but (remember dB is logarthmic) so you can turn the overall volume up so you can hear the dialogue.

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

A couple of suggestions that may be helpful.
      I have my center channel sitting on top of the large screen tv. Tilting it down so it points directly at my listening position helped with my system. I have an AVR-3801 which has a setting for "music" or "cinema". Music mode sends a lot of the center channel info to the mains, cinema leaves the info separated. Is there a similar setting on the 3805?
      There is also nothing that says you can't crank the center channel a few db above the "balanced" level if it sounds beter to you.
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

If you're using the receiver's level test to set your volumes you may not be getting an accurate setting - try a test DVD like AVIA, etc.

Paul

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Assuming your system is calibrated via avia(ignoring the auto setup that is currently out there), I would go the route of tilting your center. Simple rubber door stops will do the trick and not be visible.

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I concur mostly with the others:

1) Ensure you have calibrated your speakers using a SPL meter, and also using DVD calibration disk.

2) Tilt your speaker up/down using door stops (or wedge), have the tweeters point to your ear level.

3) Check your settings on your receiver (use the troubleshooting guide in the manual if necessary), to determine your settings (dynamic range, panaromic, dimension, etc), this depends on your receiver.

4) Set you db level for your center +1db higher than calibrated, if you are still experiencing issues.

Is your center channel the same brand as the fronts? They should timbre match, if you are using a different center, that could bring forth a different set of issues. The surround channels are more forgiving.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Nicely summed up Azeke :T
              Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Thank you Jason 8) .

Azeke

Comment

• JHDEFTECH
                  • Dec 2005

Center channel is matched size and brand with fronts. Also it is tilted down towards the viewer.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JHDEFTECH
                    Center channel is matched size and brand with fronts. Also it is tilted down towards the viewer.
                    Ok so the positioning looks good, have you calibrated with an SPL meter AND a test disc (not the receivers internal test tones)? If it's still off after that, try bumping up the the centre speaker level by one as recommended
                    Jason

Comment

• JHDEFTECH
                      • Dec 2005

I tried using Digital Video Essentials DVD to calibrate levels but not having much luck. In order for the meter to read the correct level I have to have the volume level cranked way to high to set levels. The disk says to set you volume at a base level but I am not sure what that level is.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Well first you do have to turn your reciever up fairly loud to calibrate. The baseline is 75db in DVE if I remember correctly...Not deafening but not quiet either In other words with the SPL meter set to "C" weighting, slow response and the sensitivity set appropriately to pick up a 75db signal you have to turn up your receiver until the left main channel reads 75db on the meter. Then match the remaining speakers to that level by adjusting their individual levels up or down to 75db.
                        Jason

Comment

• Rolyasm
                          • Dec 2004

A friend of mine had a different experience with his center. He originally had only the RCA connections and loved his system. He then hooked up the digital audio, and he hated it. The center channel was "muffled" but seemed to be louder??? It seemed he had lost some frequency, but it was blaring. Anyway, when he changed the receiver to Dolby Prologic IIX, it sounded better than the DTS or Dolby. He suddenly heard all kinds of new sounds. Now he has abandoned his digital for awhile until we play around with his system some more to find out what the problem is.
                          Roly

Comment

• Clive
                            Former Moderator
                            • Jan 2002

I hope you have read Jasons' reply because it is important info. Also seeing that the center channel is your concern, why not start calibrating it first so that you will bring down the range of the Front L+R to match. Also, could you check to make sure the speaker is in phase? +/+ >> -/-
                            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Marzen
                              • Jul 2005

I had the same issue with clarity/volume on my cc. I spent hours tweaking levels and settings. I recently swapped my mains for the Modula MTM's and disabled the cc and I prefer this right now. My sound stage is more open and articulate without the center. Dialogue is more intelligible and I don't get blown away during a loud passage and my imaging has greatly improved for movies. After Christmas I hope to get some time to play with my new mic and check the response curves for the room & do some optimizing on spkr placement and room treatments. If you find a solution or a work around I'd be interested in hearing about it.
                              PS - who decided the center channel would be L+R instead of dialogue only?

Ward
                              What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• wildfire99
                                • Aug 2005

Now you need a Modula for the center channel too. I've tried it both ways and always prefer a real center channel speaker (matched to the L+R's of course). The funny thing is that without a physical center, the soundstage is more diffuse and thus sounds less, 'artificial', but also less accurate for movies, IMO.

But I totally concur, better no center channel than an underachieving one. I suffered through many center channels before finding one that was actually intelligible without playing the all too common "volume control" game.
                                - Patrick
                                "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"