X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwgwin
    • Dec 2005

Video upscaling??? Someone please help

OK, I embarked on a mission to buy a new home theater system and I thought I had everything down. Now that I have all my equipment, Im wondering if I should have bought a different receiver.

I bought the Yamaha RX-V1600 to go with my Dell 5600mp projector. What Im wondering is now that I am hooking everying up and looking more closely at the specs, I see that the RX-V2600 will upscale video to 1080i and the 1600 only does 480p.

So, my question is, does that mean that my dish network satellite signal that is coming in S-video would be upconverted to 1080i and look more like HD? because I must say, watching SD television is almost unbearable after watching HD. Also, if the receiver does this upconversion, is having an upscaling DVD player redundant?

Is the video upscaling that the RX-V2600 offers worth the extra $300?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Your FP will already upscale incoming signals to it's native rate (guessing 720p) and I doubt the scaling difference between it's internal components and the 2600 would make more than a negligeable difference. In other words unless you're going to invest in a high quality scaler, I wouldn't worry about it. What is the native res of your FP anyways?
    Jason

Comment

• mwgwin
      • Dec 2005

Im sorry, what is FP?

Comment

• mwgwin
        • Dec 2005

If you mean my projector. Native res is SXGA+(1400x1050). I also misquoted the model number, its a 5100MP.
        Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Yeah sorry FP = front projector So your projector already has to scale everything internally to 1400x1050 anyway. Because 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i are all different from your FP's native rate

So again, I doubt any quality difference between your projector's scaling and the Yamaha, is worth the extra money or effort. Especially considering there's just as much possibility the Yamaha's scaling could even be worse. Now if you wanted to purchase something like a DVDO iScan HD to upscale to your native res that's a different story! :P
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"