Is it worth going to 7.1? What's your experience?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlunde
    • Oct 2005

Is it worth going to 7.1? What's your experience?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is worth the expense going from 5.1 to 7.1 setup?

Does anyone want to share their experiences with this, the pro's and con's?

I have no doubt that many future movies will contain the EX/ES track, but isn't that a 6.1 track? Or will it be expanded to 7.1 in the future?

I want as much detail as possible, and if that means expansion from 5.1 to 7.1, then that's the next upgrade. I'm thinking it's worth it, but I have heard some negative reviews on the 7.1 (from people who sell this kind of gear), and that is why I come here for a broader opinion.

Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Depends on a lot of things. The size and shape of your room. Furniture layout, gear etc. There is no right or wrong answer. Generally in smaller rooms it's not necessary or worthwhile IMO but in larger spaces it can add a LOT. If it's a matter of budget I'll always vote 5.1. Good 5.1 is better than mediocre 7.1 anyday
    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Personally, it was worth it for me. Just the cost of the back two speakers added to a 5.1 setup. My room is about 12' x 22', which is decent, but not big. I like having the sound field enveloping around from behind as well. For those who visit Club Parasound, you know that I've become a very big fan of DPL IIx. The more speakers you have with DPLIIx, the better. So even though there's no true 7.1 material right now, I get 7.1 output from ALL material through DPLIIx. It gives me 7.1 channels from 6 channel material, 5.1, stereo... even mono.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Yes 7.1 is worth it. It's not something I will use ALL the time because not all mixes work when converted to 7.1.
        I have no doubt that many future movies will contain the EX/ES track, but isn't that a 6.1 track?
        Only DTS 6.1 Discrete is truly a 6.1 track otherwise the others are 5.1 with a matrix track that gets extrapolated from the 5.1 mix. It's not true 6.1(discrete) but it works.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Those extra two speakers in back, even without EX or ES tracks, really add fullness to my room. So, yes, it was worth it for me.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

As long as you have the room it's very well worth it. If you don't have the room/small room trying to fit all the speakers in, I'd stick with 5.1.

But if you have the room, yes do it as long as you have a good processor with good chips for the DPLIIx.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Yes, I concur with the others. I certainly enjoy 7.1 utilizing DoProIIx, but again as previously mentioned you must have the room to spread the configuration correctly. Otherwise you might as well have a good 5.1 system.

Also don't skimp on the cost of the back speakers, synergy is important. I initially just threw some old speakers I had lying around into the 7.1 mix, then I upgraded, made a significant difference in my personal experience.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Azeke

Also don't skimp on the cost of the back speakers, synergy is important. I initially just threw some old speakers I had lying around into the 7.1 mix, then I upgraded, made a significant difference in my personal experience

Azeke
                I agree. When I first added 2 more speakers to the back, I was using a different make. There was a definite difference and it bothered me, so I bought two new ones that matched the rest of my system.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I pretty much concur with the advice people have already given. Especially with the first comment "Good 5.1 is better than mediocre 7.1 anyday." However, if you have a large space to fill then 7.1 might be better suited.

I prefer and use a 5.1 setup in my own home. The key is to create the ideal 5.1 setup and this takes time and some effort but you will be rewarded for it in the end. I have listened to 7.1 setups and they are okay I just dont think they add any more "ambiance". More sound does not mean better sound.

I offer a professional Hollywood recording/mixing engineer's point of view to help you make up your mind.

Hopefully this reference doesn't break any forum rules. Just trying to be helpful.
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• krek
                    • Jun 2005

My room is too small for 7,1. So I'm using the extra back-surround amps to bi-amp my fronts. This was a very good upgrade for stereo listening! More detail and music enjoyment to name a few. So even if my room would be big enough for 7.1, I wouldn't change my 5.1 setup to a 7.1 cause then I would loose the bi-amp possibility.

If your front speakers and receiver have this possibility, maybe you should try this out first and take this into the equation.

Good luck on your decision!

Comment

• marshahu_cr
                      • Aug 2003

7.1 really is a big difference to me. 5.1 I found didn't feel like you were totally surrounded. In activities like games where my PC uses positional audio and it uses 7.1 to it's fullest the experience is a big improvement. For example when a helicopter is flying all around you or you are being ambushed, in 5.1 there is a "gap" in the soundfield and you never get the feeling of somebody or something being directly behind you as you would in 7.1 where its 360 degree surround sound.

When watching DVD movies even those encoded in DTS ES or DD EX, the experience was an improvement over 5.1 giving a more cinematic feel but it wasn't that much noticeable unlike something as defined as positional audio in games or maybe THX movies which are engineered to a fantastic degree. MP3, CD and DAB radio music was pretty much the same story, although with DVD Audio discs I did not use any algorithms like Dolby Pro Logic IIX or DTS Neo:6 Matrix to upmix the content to 7.1 as this would decrease the sample rate, so I was stuck with 5.1 sound in this case.

It is possible that 7.1 will be used in the future. HDMI cables (those used for true HD connections) have the capability of carrying 8 channels worth of audio data so having a 7.1 system should futureproof you for when the HD content actually uses all those channels! The only thing you may need to change is your receiver to accomodate these new signals.

Of course the wiring and the positioning of each speaker is the fly in the ointment with all these larger setups. With some trial and error and a bit of patience, it will be worth the trouble and the experience will be an improvement over 5.1 - just make sure the components in your setup are of a good quality!

Comment

• Bob
                        • Jul 2000

I don't have a HT any longer but, when I did I used a Casablanca II which gives you the option of a 8.1 system. Fronts, center, sides, rears, center rear, and of course subs. I had 8 speakers from the same manufacturer, two subs crossed over with the front speakers, and one large sub for the .1 or LFE track.
                        So, here were my observations using that set up, movies only. The Casablanca has the option to use just two front speakers in a "phantom" channel mode. This actually works pretty good. Adding a sub for the LFE channel made a big difference for that underlying rumble that many movies have and took the load off the main speakers on the loud thunderous stuff. Really a must have for HT.
                        Then, adding a center channel was a improvement. Not a huge improvement but, a improvement. Using the Phantom center channel mode really anchored the voices in the center just as well as the center channel did but, the sound was slightly in front of the screen. Plus, the L and R front speakers were not having to do double duty as a voice anchor and side to side effects.
                        Adding the rear L and R speakers were good for increasing the foley effects of surround ambiance, fly overs, footfalls behind you, doors behind you, etc. Don't really add anything to the main aspects of the movie but, greatly adding to the overall experience.
                        Adding the side channels slighty smoothed out some occasional effects found in action movies. The improvement was so small, and only on some movies that how worthwhile it is depends on how much it hurts to pay for it. If you had it and then took it away, you probably would never miss it. Although, I never did gamming so can't speak to that.
                        Adding the rear center channel was a absolute waste of money. Adding it was financially painless for me so, I don't have any reason to pretend that it is the best thing since slice bread or to be profoundly dissappointed. I just didn't get anything out of having it.
                        Now, if you have a large room, and usually seat a large crowd, then the side channels and even the rear center may be a much bigger player in your HT set up. I think my case is more the norm though. The room is only a little bit over 20' deep and wide, and there was seldom more than four people watching the movie.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"