X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

Intense Painting Tweak!

In case anyone was interested, I painted my HT room last week (well okay, I hired someone); but anyway, I went with Ralph Lauren Bluegrass Suede paint and holy crap it looks incredible. The depth and texture, not to mention the color is so cool and it really looks like suede on the walls (warning - there is an art to it, you can't just paint it on the walls like regular paint).

But perhaps the most amazing thing about it is that one of its claims to fame is its ability to absorb light and its here that this paint really excels (if that's your goal). I recommend it for anyone with a true dedicated HT /front projector as it took way down the ambient light level in my room (which already has no windows, etc.) and boosted the perceived contrast on my projector to a level where I have to say this is the single greatest tweak I have ever made (in the class with acoustical room treatments). When I turn the lights on now its dim, really dim; and I can even watch a movie with them on if I want which I wasn't able to before. Downside is that I can no longer read in that room so I need to get a night light or some standing fixture next to my couch. :T
    Adz
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Sounds great. By way of comparison, what did you have on the walls before?

Paul

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Adam, that sounds really interesting. Can you post a picture or two?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Adz
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Paul H
        Sounds great. By way of comparison, what did you have on the walls before?

Paul
        I had regular Benjamin Moore Camel (~Tan) color - semi-gloss finish (which I know that reflective finish was part of the problem).
        Adz

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
          Adam, that sounds really interesting. Can you post a picture or two?
          I tried to do just that, but they didn't come out good at all which may be a testament to my photography abilities more than any thing else. I have a Sony Cyber Shot 5.1 Megapixel camera -- if someone can tell me the proper settings to use to capture this type of scene, I will try again. We picked up a small sample first and tried it on a wall before pulling the trigger. Its about $38/gallon, took three gallons to paint a 22x18 sized room.
          Adz

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I've used Ralph's 'regular' paints in a couple of rooms when remodeling. It's not only very good paint, but he has an interesting palette of colors not available elsewhere.... :T :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DelRay
              • Jun 2004

I've been painting about 25 years now. A few months back I did my first Ralph Lauren paint job. It was the River Rock. Really nice looking texture. Not like regular painting, thats for sure. I also checked out the Suede paint. It's great looking too. And the colors are nice and warm. Glade to hear that you liked it.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"