This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

We dont need to buy expensive HTS when this alternate DOLBY technology works

DOLBY VIRTUAL TECHNOLOGY

"Dolby Virtual Speaker technology is a highly sophisticated audio virtualization technology that makes it possible to enjoy natural, realistic 5.1-channel surround sound from just two stereo speakers. Dolby Virtual Speaker transforms TV, movies, and music into a thrilling surround sound experience, bringing surround sound to anyone with a two-speaker system. "

What I am trying to figure out is, why should I buy full HTS when I can use this technology and make a smaller hole in my pocket with the same levels of sound and if ppl can recommend any DVD players using this. I know one from Denon D-M51DVS. Also no clutter in our living rooms and yes, we dont need to feel surrounded by speakers and ofcourse no web of wires in the room.

I have also added below few more FAQ's from the DOLBY site so that people have clarity while reponding to this thread.

Who will benefit from Dolby Virtual Speaker?

Dolby Virtual Speaker is perfect for anyone who wants to experience full, rich surround sound. Dolby Virtual Speaker is ideal for the new flat-panel displays and for any system in an apartment, dorm room, or other small space where the cost or installation of multiple speakers and wiring is impractical.

Are special speakers required for Dolby Virtual Speaker?

Dolby Virtual Speaker technology can be used with any pair of stereo speakers, including speakers made specifically for PCs. Of course, a powerful amplifier and high-quality speakers will give you better sound.

Are TV sets with built-in, closely spaced speakers suitable for Dolby Virtual Speaker?

Dolby Virtual Speaker technology works very well with your TV’s built-in speakers, especially those in widescreen monitors and HDTV sets. In fact, Dolby Virtual Speaker’s Wide mode makes the speakers sound further apart than they actually are.

Can Dolby Virtual Technology be added to a TV set or other playback system?

Generally speaking, yes. A DVD player equipped with Dolby Virtual Speaker can be connected to the analog audio inputs of a TV set (or other playback system) to create surround sound.
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Dolby Virtual Speaker is ideal for the new flat-panel displays and for any system in an apartment, dorm room, or other small space where the cost or installation of multiple speakers and wiring is impractical.
    So basically whipped husbands

I honestly do not see this being a threat to traditional surround sound with multiple speakers. Many people want something like this but its not practical if you wish to recreate the home theater experience at home.

Bose has tried something like this with their 123 system and it flat out stinks.

Comment

• billz260
      • Dec 2004

I think it would be ok for a regular TV room or your bedroom but if you want real surround from your DVD's then a "HT" is what you need. You don't have to buy the cheapest or the most expensive stuff out there to be happy. And if you are worried about wires, run them through the walls and ceiling, unless you are in an apt, it's not that big a deal to do. Lowes carries decent looking wall plates for not too much $$. You can pc together a really good system for around $1000 or less depending on how patient you are.

Good luck!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

I think this will have it's place and like the rest of the Dolby schemes simply be licensed into the regular surround chips as a choice. I don't think it's really meant to compete with the other dolby formats unless they've changed their line of thinking and will only let manufacturers incorporate this into DVD players and dedicated stereo receivers.

This sounds more like Dolby's answer to SRS virtual surround. The thing with these 2 channel pyscho-acoustic methodologies is that they can work IF you sit perfectly in the sweet spot....otherwise the field collapses like a ton of bricks.

Also people on a budget will benefit from this. I don't think there's a need to knock this pursuit....it certainly doesn't minimize peoples 5.1/6.1/7.1 and future 10.1 efforts. This is just another tool to allow more people to enjoy the benefits of hometheater, regardless of cost (I imagine).

Really this technology best suits someone on a slightly different path than the true surround sound enthusiast....but sort of merges back to both parties enjoying theater at home...so no harm no foul.

Go Dolby I say
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

These also assume you're sitting in a perfectly symetrical room with solid walls around you and that you're dead center on the display. They're neat tricks but certinaly not a replacement for a proper speaker setup (of any description).

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

It has its place as a budget or small-room alternative.

Nothing wrong with cutting corners here and there when it's needed... many TVs are available with speakers that throw off a mild surround effect... and other manufacturers such as Pioneer are working on 1-speaker solutions... anything's possible.

But don't think for a minute that a DVS could compete in sound quality and ambience in a side-by-side test with a contemporary 5.1 system... at least as the technology stands today.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• 8thDwarf
              • Feb 2005

Thing is 2 channels delivering all the sonic information of 5-7 channels will have a lot more speaker cone doppler distortion.
              If there is more sound and effects in the mix ,I prefer more drivers to deliver that and deliver it in discrete channels.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Given the construction of my HT, 5.1 is all the speakers it can handle.

My ancient Sony TA-E9000 pre/pro has a Virtual 6.1, and it's an interesting listen.

There are some interesting new technologies out there. HERE's one of them.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• saurabh
                  • Feb 2005

Yeah, I guess.....its a tradeoff between cost and surround sound quality.....but i guess its good for small living rooms and people not wanting to spend more on the HT systems. But is there an end to it 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, there is no end to human needs but i can imagine someday people will draw a circle around them and then cover the line of the circle with set of speakers and say " this is perfect surround sound, but still I cant hear sounds from below or above me and if something could be done about it" :wink:. Just kiddin. Anyways, I prefer compact systems, even if it means slight tradeoff with sound.
                  Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

There's a difference between compact systems which are fine and this proposition which is not. A compact system to me would be something like a HTIB or a Energy Take 5 with a basic receiver.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"