X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wozza
    • Jan 2005

New to HT. How do you rate this setup?

Hello All!!

I'm new to the whole HT thing, and have spent the entire day researching, and have finally come up with a list of products I like the look of.. If you could just give me any opinions etc you see relevant, I'd be very grateful! Here goes:

I have noticed that the Impedance on the Receiver does not match that of the speakers (The speakers have a rating of 6Ohms where, as far as I can tell, the Receiver is rated at 8Ohms). Can anyone verify this for me, and also, how much does it matter?

I did consider going with 7.1, but seems as most DVDs are 5.1, didn't see the point. I presumed that the surround rear speakers would be silent with a 5.1 source? (Or is the signal simply mirrored between Surround Left and Surround Rear Left? etc)

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Regards, Will.
    wozza
    http://www.ph34r.me.uk/
    Ph34r Is Everything
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Yamaha makes some nice electronics. I'm not as familiar with their speakers, though, but generally Japanese speakers don't usually rate as well as American or Canadian brands. Receivers usually have a switch for 4 or 8 ohm speakers. The Yammy should be able to handle the 6 ohm speakers; it'll just run hotter than with 8 ohm speakers.

As for 7.1, the receiver extrapolates the back channels from the surrounds. There's no such thing as Dolby Digital 7.1, but there is DD EX (which is 5.1 matrixed to 6.1), DPL IIx (2 channels matrixed to 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1), and DTS ES (6.1 matrix or discrete). So even with 5.1 DVDs you can still make use of the back surrounds. However, if your room is small and you don't have room for back speakers, you don't need to have them. 5.1 is still the standard for home theater.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Unfortunately the Japanese mfgrs just don't have their act together when it comes to making good speakers.

The Brits however have been making great speakers for decades .. hint, hint, hint ... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Receiver: Yamaha RX-SL80 (£249.95)
        DVD Player: Yamaha DV-SL100 (£169.95)
        Centre Speaker: Yamaha NS-C225 (Silver) (£99.95)
        Speakers: Yamaha NS-225F (Silver) (£299.95 A Pair => £599.90)
        Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW225 (Silver) (£199.95)
        As the guys above said the Yamaha electronics are fine choices...the speakers on the other hand are not. Being in the UK I'd look at Missions and B&W as two "local" speaker brands that are MUCH more highly rated. There's a host of other speaker makers as well that you should audition if you can but the general rule is if that company also sells electronics under the same name skip them (Denon, JVC, Sony etc)

I have noticed that the Impedance on the Receiver does not match that of the speakers (The speakers have a rating of 6Ohms where, as far as I can tell, the Receiver is rated at 8Ohms). Can anyone verify this for me, and also, how much does it matter?
        The Yamaha should be ok with a 6 ohm load though it will run hotter then if the speakers were 8 ohm loads.

I did consider going with 7.1, but seems as most DVDs are 5.1, didn't see the point. I presumed that the surround rear speakers would be silent with a 5.1 source? (Or is the signal simply mirrored between Surround Left and Surround Rear Left? etc)
        As kevin says there's only a handful of 6.1 DVD's out there but most of the modern receivers can utilize all the speakers you have upto 7. Having the back two surrounds can really help to fill in the surround sound stage if your room is either wide or deep. Its a subtle effect but once you've had it for awhile its difficult to go back to 5.1

Comment

• wozza
          • Jan 2005

First off, thanks to everyone for rapid responses!

I have reconsidered my position with the speakers and have come up with this:
          • Centre Speaker: Wharfedale 9.CS (£149.95)
          • Speakers: Wharfedale 9.4 (£299.95 A Pair => £599.90)
          • Subwoofer: Wharfedale Diamond SW150 (£249.95)

Wharfedale speakers are very sexy... But you've tempted me to upgrade to 7.1 now! Would cost me an extra £509.95... hmmmmm... (Assuming I went with the Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver)

Most speakers I've spotted have an Impedence of 6 Ohms? Having trouble finding 8 Ohm speakers, or a 6 Ohm rated receiver? Although the aforementioned Wharfedale speakers' specs say "Nominal Impedance". Does that mean its variable?

Also.. I'd like to connect my iPod to this sytem eventually, does that mean I'll need a Processor in order to use all speakers?
          wozza
          Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

All speakers have a variable resistance rating that fluctuates depending on the frequency its playing (the only exception are Magnepans which are more or less constant 4 ohm). The yamaha's should be fine with 6 ohm loads though and wharfedale makes some nice speakers though I haven't heard those models. As for 7.1 you don't have to jump into the deepend on your first swim! If the budget it tight start with 5.1 and add the two other speakers later if need be.

Comment

• wozza
              • Jan 2005

The budget isn't too tight, just trying to control myself a little! heh.. My system will be funded by my Late Grandad via inheritance.. :-(.

I'm very tired now, but have read and read and read... And i *think* I've made a decision!!

That covers pretty much all my needs, and any forseeable needs in the near future. Also, during my extensive reading I discovered the RwX-V650 has a switch, so you can knock it onto 6Ohm Impedance!

Wharfedale has only recently started the Diamond 9 range (as far as I can tell). You can find more info about them at: http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond9/

I'm quite pleased with the final pricetag, considering the functionality I will be getting. Also, the functionality of the DVD Player means I won't be needing a CD Player, which is nice!

oooh, its getting exciting now! \o/ £200 off the RX-V650 at www.richersounds.co.uk! Happy Days!

Do you know of any good retails for this kinda stuff (UK, online or offline, not bothered)

Thanks ever so much everyone for your help... I think I shall become a permenant resident of these parts :-).
              wozza
              Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• Fishy
                • Jul 2004

Have you thought about trying either the Kef Eggs or even the Q range of speakers?

They would work well with the equipment listed, and at around 250 quid a pair for Q1's, cheaper than the Wharfdales.

Fish

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hi Will, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Another Yamaha fan - great! You shouldn't have any issues driving the Wharfdales, even though they aren't the most efficient speakers (86 dB/W/m). I've been driving a pair of 4 ohm, 86dB/W/m speakers with my RX-V1 for almost 2 years now. It's been a fine match up with no complaints movie-wise and only a desire for more oomph in 2-channel audio at very loud settings.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• wozza
                    • Jan 2005

hmm, not too keen on the design of those Kef Eggs (the speaker's I have gone with are all floorstanding, basic square-ish). Can you give me a link for the Q range? Was having problems hunting those down. Thanks for your comments Fishy!

David, Definately a Yamaha fan! Their Pro-Audio (mmm MSP5's) stuff has good rep so figured their high-end consumer stuff would kick-ass also
                    Last edited by wozza; 10 January 2005, 14:07 Monday.
                    wozza
                    Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• NMyTree
                      • May 2004

Many of the "American " , " Canadian" and "British " speakers (but certainly not all) are actually being made in ........China (Quad, Wharfedale, Klipsch, Energy)....Malaysia (Acoustic Energy) and other Asian areas.

While I haven't heard any of the Wharfedale Diamond 9 series as of yet, I have been reading some good stuff from consumers who have auditioned them. From what I have read the Diamond Series is a serious bang-for-the-buck speaker series. Make no mistake, they are a budget speaker line. But I've read quite a few comments where people were shocked at the low price, in comparison to what they were hearing.

The Diamond 9.6 and 9.2 seem to be the amazing performers and bargains in the Series. Again, I have not heard them, this is only what I have read and heard from consumers/friends.

I have the Wharfedale Evolution 10, which will be used as rear speakers (in HT), with the Wharfedale Opus 2 and Opus Center Channel manning the front. I've been using the Evolution 10 as fronts, for the sake of "break-in" and to just see what they can do as fronts. I have been impressed with them. One day, I put in the Eagles Greatest Hits CD and played "One Of These Nights". Well, I was shocked how wonderfully defined the bass line is and how much nice, tight weight the bass carries. I've noticed this in other songs too. The vocals also come across real nice.

Really, it seems to depend on the recording/mix of a song. These speakers don't exaggerate the bass frequencies...or any other frequency. These speakers have a balanced (or as some say.."flat" ) sound, but I find them smooth, musical and very pleasant to listen to.

Happy Hunting for your speakers :B

And WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! 8)
                      Tony

Comment

• wozza
                        • Jan 2005

mmm Opus! Now they are some Sexy speakers!!! a tad outta the price range I'd like to stick to tho really! The Evo series are damn sexy, I did consider a 6 Evo20's, but again, little steep! Nothing is final til I goto the shop and actually buy tho (well.. 28 days after that I suppose! lol)
                        wozza
                        Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• NMyTree
                          • May 2004

Maybe you may want to try to audition the Acoustic Energy Aelite series. Just another suggestion.

The Aelite series has earned some nice praise in reviews and from consumers who audition them and/or own them. I don't know the price range of each speaker, though. Won't hurt to listen.

Hello, is it me you’re looking for? Oops, something appears to have gone wrong. We’ve updated our site recently so you may have come looking for a page that’s moved.  Trying clicking here, or use the logo above to go back to the home page. Anyway, the page doesn’t exist. If you think it should […]
                          Tony

Comment

• shokhead
                            • Jan 2005

Rate mine,Denon 2805,Yamaha C750,603's and 601's and cc6 and Klipsch KSW300.

Comment

• wozza
                              • Jan 2005

hmm, there is so much choice out there! Would you recommend getting matching speakers all the way around the room, or different speakers for the surround speakers? I presumed eqaulity was best, but like I say, only a presumption.

Also, I'd like a nice TV to go with all this.... but the decent ones seem rather expensive! Can you recommend any decent TVs that aren't over say £1000? (maybe stretch to £1500)
                              wozza
                              Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Matched speakers are the best bet. At the very least, make sure your fronts and center are matched. Surrounds aren't as critical to match but it's nice if they are.

If I recall correctly, £1 is equivalent to $2 US, right (might be even more now). There are plenty of quality sets in the $2K US range. Mostly CRT RPTV sets, but these have the best picture quality overall anyway.

Comment

• wozza
                                  • Jan 2005

aye thats roughly it... It's what I work off anyway.

Originally posted by xe.com/ucc
                                  1.00 GBP = 1.87479 USD
                                  Any good makes etc? TVs i dont know much about, in the past I've just gone with Sony and been happy.
                                  wozza
                                  Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Sony still makes a nice set and my CRT is a 32" Sony Wega that has a very nice image. Its what I use for daytime TV and news shows etc. For movies and sports though I have a front projector. If you already own a TV I'd strongly suggest looking at a projector instead of a TV since there's nothing like a huge image to make you feel like you really own a home cinema.

Comment

• purplepeople
                                      • Aug 2004

I don't understand... you're in the UK and you haven't checked out the Tannoy Group stuff?

ensen.
                                      Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"