X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzyng
    • Dec 2004

Speaker Recommendations

OK, I got some good info on this thread regarding placement of speakers in the new house http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=10845

and now I need to get some ideas for speakers in the $2000-$2500 range. I've seen alot of ads for paradigm, definitive tech, etc but not sure what is the best bang for the buck. I don't want huge bulky speakers. For the rear speakers, I'lll have to go with speakers on stands ... how high should the speakers sit.

I have a Denon 4800 and Sony RPTV
  • Fishy
    • Jul 2004

There is a small problem with asking this type of question. You might not like what is being recommended.

The best thing you can do, is go to a dealer and listen to as many types within your budget and pick the ones YOU like.

Fish

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Fish has a good point. Can you give us more detail on your likes/dislikes as far as the sound goes? Ie, detail, warmth, accuracy, bass.... That way we can make (hopefully) more educated suggestions.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I went with Phase Tech after a long journey of deciding on speakers:

The Velocity series is what route I went. I got 7 speakers(for a full 7.1 system) for $1800 with Tax. The speakers themselves have a 10 yr warranty and the soft dome tweeter they use was designed by the guy who invented the soft dome tweeter.

I preferred them over about 30 brands I listened to and many more.

I went with:

V-12 mains
        V-6 Center
        V-4 Rears
        V-Surround for sides.

Their PC series is even better.

Other suggestions:

KEF
        B&W
        Paradigm
        Polk and Polk LSI
        Snell
        Mirage
        Boston Acoustics
        Linn
        Magnepan http://www.magnepan.com <-- these are uniquely different.

FWIW I went into this thread thinking you want a 5.1 system or a 7.1 system and not just 2 or 3 speakers. One thing to mention: You don't need or should go with the same brand for your subwoofer. 99% of the time you are better off going another route.

If you are wanting just 2 or 3 speakers then that opens up your options more.

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

I agree...first you have to listen to a BUNCH of speakers on your own. Then try to narrow down your choices to two or three. If possible, get those final choices into your own home, into your own listening room. They'll sound completely different in your own setting being run by your own gear.

When I was in the market for a new pair of bookshelf speakers, I listened to speakers for months and narrowed my choices down to the Energy C-3, and the Axiom M22ti (based soley on rave reviews). I bought a pair of each and gave the the old Pepsi challenge in my own living room. The Axioms won, and the Energy's went back to the store. (Many local stores will let you demo gear in your home, or at least have a liberal return policy)

I personaly like super clear, tight, forward sounding speakers. So for me, Axiom is a fantastic speaker choice. Others prefer a more mellow, laid back sound. The first thing you need to do is go out there and listen, and decide what kind of sound you like. Once you've decided that, let us know, and then people can give you some more educated offerings.

Comment

• buzzyng
            • Dec 2004

Wow, as far as my likes/dislikes, I really don't know. I have been using Bose acousitmass system for 10yrs and that is fine with us although I know there are better systems but have no idea where to direct my attention as to brands, size, etc.

I talked to Definitive Tech and they said their ProMonitors or in ceiling UIW BP/As would be acceptable for my surrounds.

We mainly use the 'home theater' for watching TV and probably only watch movies 3-4 times a month. Thus, we want something good but not super extravagant.

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

The best suggestion is take your favorite music and go listen. Listen for a while though as if a speaker's brightness is giong to bother you, its going to bother you if you listen to it for extended periods of time. A good 15-20 minutes is what I'd recommend.

Soon enough after several auditions, you'll find out what taste you prefer.

Comment

• purplepeople
                • Aug 2004

As I've suggested in other threads, I recommend pro studio monitors. When you add in the cost of amplification, these offer the best boom for buck. For $2500 you could probably get 4 Mackie HR624s with a HR626 center. I just demo'ed some Dynaudio BM5a's and they are very good for the price. Most of these speakers are better than +/- 3dB from around 40Hz-20kHz. Tannoy 600s are very good. If you have a small room, the Blue Sky Prodesk is quite smooth. I would stay away from the System One (I think the bigger sats have a problem with the crossover to the sub). Even my own cheap Yorkvilles are very good active speakers for under $1000/pair and I would place them up against any passive pair of the same price.

ensen.
                Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• buzzyng
                  • Dec 2004

I am looking for at least a 5.1 system not just rear surrounds

Comment

• Foxman
                    • Jan 2003

All the speakers already mentioned are fine to demo. Just whatever you do demo as many as you can. All kinds including some you know are out of your price range. Make notes of speakers you like the sound and look of regardless of price and then once you have compared as many differant brands and models as you can, then narrow your search based on what you decided you liked about the speakers you liked. Sound and size wise.

Be sure that you take familier material as stated, that way you know what it should sound like to your ears.

Lastly, try to demo these speakers on something comperable to the AVR you have. No sense comparing Martin Logans being feed by a Krell set up when you are planning on Denon gear.

So, anyway I hope that helps. FWIW I really enjoy my Klipsch speakers. I have owned Kef's and really enjoyed those and I bet if I purchased some B&W 800's youd have to break my arm to take them back.

Good luck.
                    IMO

My Movies
                    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• jaakan
                      • Dec 2002

Local companies to me
                      Polk Audio (LSI and RTI line)
                      Definitive Tech
                      both great picks

Magnepan "I love my Maggies"
                      ----- but they need a real 4 ohm/100+watt per channel
                      OHM speakers
                      ----- you have to hear them

I never liked B&W until I hear the B&W 800 with a Krell amp
                      if you like the sound of the B&W600s buy them.

Take it from me, someone that grow up around QUAD ESLs.
                      When you listen to speakers
                      1. Bring your own music and take your time.
                      2. Listen to as many different speakers as you can even ones not on your list or that you can't even buy.
                      3. It your money and your ears.
                      4. if you can't demo speakers in your own place ask if you can bring your Denon or if they have your model to power the speakers you will be listening to.
                      5. Listen with and without a Sub and with and without a center Channel.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"