X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hemifever
    • Oct 2004

Contrast setting on DLP

I have a Mitsubishi 52" DLP. The contrast setting from the factory was turned all the way up. I have an Avia DVD but I know it's not "tailored" for today's tv's. For a DLP, should I follow the contrast tests on that DVD? It looks better turned all the way up.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sean,

No no!!!!! Do not turn the contrast all the way up. Yes it can look better, more vibrant when you initially use it, but you are losing a lot of detail-type information. Subtle shadings in color and texture will be completely crushed into uniformity and colors will be unnatural, both of which are bad. Don't pay top dollar for a fine TV like your Mits DLP and then look at an image equal to that of a much less capable set.

Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in the comments about AVIA "not be tailored" for current TVs. It will still get you into the upper 80-90 percentile of performance if you take the time to set each parameter properly. Once you've calibrated your Mits, save the adjusted settings, watch it consistenly for about a week and then go back to your original levels. You should be able to go back to the saved (adjusted) settings pretty easily - but check first just to be sure. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the fine quality of the adjusted image (after you get used to looking at a more lifelike picture). If you still want more, have your set adjusted by an ISF-certified technician. Then you'll see what your set can really do!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Actually the Avia section on setting contrast is ideal for DLP. There is a test pattern that shows the grey scale on top and a white area below. In the white area you should be able to see two moving bars if you turn the contrast way down. Once you can see them, bring the contrast up slowly until you can just barely see the moving bars. By not being able to see the bars, says that the contrast is so high it is blowing out detail. Why not give it a try, Sean.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• hemifever
        • Oct 2004

I've got the Contrast set per the Avia DVD. The picture looks good. I didn't know why the contrast was set to max from the factory. I had heard that the Avia DVD wasn't tailored to the newer style systems so I wanted to make sure the Contrast test applied. I have it set correctly I believe.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Whew, that's good Sean. Sets generally come from the factory configured to look good on the showroom floor where they need to be eye-popping in competition with the sets next to them, so high contrast and oversaturated colors are the norm.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"