X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webchez
    • Dec 2004

Speaker wire length

This may be the second similar message, but I'm not sure if the first went through.

I'm installing a stereo in the basement and have two speakers that require 60 feet of 12 gauge wire. When I turn the sound up, the stereo shuts off. I thought I would only get a bit of delay at worst. The speaker wire is also in close proximity to some electric wires at some points. I have tested the speakers to the receiver using shorter wires and they sound great. I have also used a different receiver and it also cuts off. Is the problem the length of speaker wire? Could there be a break in the lines? Any thought or solutions. Please help.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hmmm... that sounds more like a power clipping problem, where your stereo receiver is maxing out on power and turns itself off to avoid damage, when you turn up the volume. I have a stereo that does the same thing, which I use for all-home audio. It's just a bit curious that it happens with two different receivers, though. Do you know their power ratings?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• webchez
      • Dec 2004

Not sure of the power. They are both Yamaha systems and weren't cheap. The main one was just over a grand and the other $500. So, I don't think it's a power problem, especially since I can connect the speakers directly into the receiver and blast them as loud as I want. I did use some staples to tie the wires down. Could that have anything to do with it?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yes that could very well have something to do with it if its shorting out the cables. I have runs about that long using 12 gauge wire without any issue so it shouldn't be a lenght issue. Do you own a good digital multimeter? If not i'd buy or borrow one and test the cables to see if ones shorting out to the other.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Do you know the ohms rating on those speakers? You haven't told us what they are

I always like to start with the wires/cables.

Q. Did you have to splice them at any part? What about the termination, are the wire ends twisted tightly and completly shoved in place, so that no strands of wire is crossed over to the other side? Are they properly phased?

Let us know a little more about them and/or do a complete cable/system check. :T
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• whoaru99
            • Jul 2004

Sounds like a short to me. I'd look closely at the full length of the wire runs. A staple too tight, a nail poking the wire, etc.
            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"