X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bundi1098
    • Nov 2004

System Setup Question

Please forgive me I am a novice but enjoyed reading many posts on this site.

I just recently bought a Yamaha RX-V2500 and was looking for some help with some basic questions.

I curently have Infinity Front and Center speakers and a set of Bose rear. I need to pickup a set of speakers for the 7.1 suround.

Which speakers are more important back or side?

Any suggestions on speakers for around $100 each to either buy for back or replace the side?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Michael, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Which speakers are more important back or side?
    I'm not sure of the reasons behind your question, so I'll answer it a couple of ways.

Initially I'll come squarely down on the fence and say "both are just as important". To me, if you are panning from side-to-side (which with a 7.1 system, it generally sends the pan across the rear speakers also) mis-matched speakers cause all sorts of noticable changes in the sound as it moves around the room. Not a good thing for keeping you into the moment of the movie or musical selection IMO. My advice would be to save a bit longer and wait on your purchase until you can get 4 of the same speaker for the surrounds.

Now, if you are just going to use 2 of the 4 channels for a long period of time, I'd go with the sides over the rears. 5.1 used side (or corner) placement of the surrounds, and I suspect if you go into the set-up menu, you can shut the rears off which should cause the information going to them to be folded into the side channels. My RX-V1 has this capability.

Okay, reading the manual (from the Yamaha website), on page 63 it says:

Select "None" if yo do not have a surround back speaker. The unit directs all of the surround back channel signal to the surround left and right speakers.

I hope this helps.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bundi1098
      • Nov 2004

That was quick - Thank you for the info.

Should I then make all my speakers and Sub the same brand or is it OK to just make my side and rear the same and keep my current front, Center and Sub(12" Klipsch Sub)?

I currently have Bose Series 161 sides which I can either buy a new set, $160 a pair, or I can buy 4 new speakers. I have about $350 in my budget to replace them.

I have also thought about replacing all my speakers but do not know if I need to.

Comment

• Bundi1098
        • Nov 2004

There is so much I do not know.

I just recieved my new reciever (Yamaha RX-V2500) and let me say Oh Mama .

In reading the setup manual they mention Presence Speakers. Can anyone tell me what they are and are they a must have?

Second question are banana plugs a must for my wires?

Comment

• murphy3414
          • Nov 2004

Have been looking for new speakers myself. Take a look at orbaudio.com. For what you are looking to spend these would be great. I have been on the fence with B&W, Jamo, and Canton until I found these. Reviews are great.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Bundi1098
            In reading the setup manual they mention Presence Speakers. Can anyone tell me what they are and are they a must have?
            Yamaha has a proprietary ambiance-enhancing scheme that uses two extra speakers (the "presence" speakers) typically mounted on the front wall and to the sides of the main L/R speakers to "enlarge" the soundstage. The "need" for them is a matter of personal taste. They typically work most effectively when the front main speakers are direct radiating box speakers, which happens to be the most common design.

If the sound up front is "constricted" or "two dimensional" and you've already tried changing the position of the two main speakers, then the use of "presence" speakers might be worth a try. They don't have to be big and expensive, and in use, they should NOT be localizable as a source. In fact, small wall mounted speakers of limited range, such as you might find at Radio Shack, will serve the purpose well. (Remember, they are just adding a bit of "ambiance" to the overall sound, not serving as the main drivers.)

On the other hand, the introduction of Dolby Prologic II music mode, with its adjustable parameters affecting the soundstage, has lessened the need for alternative measures such as the Yamaha front "presence" scheme when the soundstage needs a bit of a boost.

Also, if you already like the imaging and soundstage properties of your system without them, the "presence" speakers may actually degrade the cohesiveness of the overall sound up front, adding extra apparent reverb-type reflections that might sound a bit unnatural. You would probably not find them of much benefit with dipole planar speakers like Martin Logans or Magnepans and probably not with bipolars like the Def Tech towers, either.

I mention these because I used to use a Yamaha DSP-A3090 (before I stepped up to separates) which had the front "presence" feature. When I was using traditional forward radiating speakers for the front mains, adding the "presence" speakers enhanced the sense of "air" and "expansiveness" with some source material. I stopped using them when I moved up to bipolar towers, and definitely would not use them with planar speakers, which do not need assistance in that regard.

Originally posted by Bundi1098
            Second question are banana plugs a must for my wires?
            Unless your speakers have binding posts that are made specifically to accept banana plugs and nothing else, then they are not a "must" for your wires. Twisted bare wire can work just as effectively, although if the strands fray and touch something on the receiver other than the binding post, there could be a problem. But assuming the binding posts on your equipment accept them, banana plugs sure make it a lot more convenient to reconnect everything if you move things around. (For the record, I use banana plugs on all my speaker wires.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bundi1098
              • Nov 2004

Thank you for the info. I have to say this forum is a great source of info.

Comment

• mcwilson
                • Sep 2004

Banana?

Banana plugs are just (much) easier to deal with. And as was pointed out earlier, they can prevent (when properly installed) speaker shorts caused by frayed wires.

Good Luck.

Mark

Comment

• Bundi1098
                  • Nov 2004

Thank you again

I have ordered 200 Ft of 12 Gauge wire and enough Banana plugs for the back of the Receiver. I figure that was my best bet. I hope all the stuff comes in so I can hook it all up over Thanksgiving weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"