Convert surrounds from bipole to dipole?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Convert surrounds from bipole to dipole?

Currently I'm using DefTech bipolar speakers for my surrounds, I presume it would be relatively easy to convert them to dipole by changing the phase of one set of drivers in each speaker.

Would this conversion, assuming it is as simple as I seem to think, cause any negative reactions or be harmful to the speakers in any way?

What effect could I expect to hear?
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

Don't do it.You'll mess up the sound from how it was designed.Namely you'll have a loss in bass responce.The Def Techs have a very spacious sound to begin with.But you can always try it then switch back.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

With di-pole speakers there is a "null" area that, when positioned properly, should be centered on the listening position. That gives you a greater sense of immersion in the soundfield as the null makes it much harder to sonically localize the source of the sounds. The soundfield still has directionality, but it is more diffuse than you would get with a bi-pole or direct-firing source.

FWIW, I use di-poles.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Claude D D
        • Jan 2003

I've tried both as well (I have a pair of Energy RVSS and Definitive Technology BPX)and prefer both over a monpole rear.I prefer the BPX's in my current room + they match better with my other Def Techs. :T

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

I used to have direct radiating and went with dipoled surrounds and haven't looked back. I (and others watching the movies with me) have been tricked like 3 times now where I actually got up off my couch to see how bad the weather was outside b/c I thought a storm was coming and it was actually pefectly clear outside and it was the movie that was getting ready to have a storm or rain. That is just awesome to me, to sound like I am in the middle of the downpour, and completely defines a 'surround' system IMO. Just to add, my dipoles are set up in a way where the low freqs are in phase and it doesnt matter b/c its non directional, while the higher freqs are out of phase to create the null that David spoke of. Just be sure you don't cancel out your low freqs when considering this modification, but I would definately give it a try and you can change it back if you don't like it as Claude pointed out.

AJ
          AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

I believe that Paradigm's "Adapted Di-Poles" are configure such that the bass drivers are in phase, as is the front tweeter, but they simply reversed the phase of the rear tweeter.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"