• Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Patty Barber Live in lyour iving room!

Hi Guys!

David you are gonna love this one!

Companion on XRCD2 Sound = UNREAL...sorry I mean so real she is right there...in your face.....

Available at musicdirect.com...I am not aware of other places.

Guys if I could make you hear this you wouldn`t believe it!

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Thanks for that info. Patricia Barber's Redbook CDs are exceptionally well engineered and all of them that I've heard sound sensational, so I can imagine that the same music in higher res formats could be even more sensational sounding.

I have the following PB albums on CD:

A Distortion of Love
    Café Blue
    Split
    Modern Cool
    Companion [live]
    Night Club
    Verse

It might be a mixed blessing to hear the XRCD2 of Companion -- I mean, I already enjoy it a lot "as is", but hearing her performance on that album sound even better could prove to be a strong reason to want to start "upgrading" my collection of her work. (So what else is new in this hobby?) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I've not heard any of Patricia Barber's works. ops: What would you recommend for a starter disc?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Try "Night Club" or "Cafe Blue" for starters. On her albums, she usually does her mostly own material (which sounds uncannily like something familiar even on first hearing, it is so "right", the way she does it) but on "Night Club" she covers the work of other song writers, so you can get a feel for her distinctive vocal style without feeling like you're, ahem, covering totally unfamiliar ground.

On her earlier albums, some of the tracks are really very "jazzy" instrumental-only and so overall, her vocals don't get as much prominence as on later albums. "Cafe Blue" gives a good intro to her work, and also includes some interesting covers of familiar tunes. But I have a feeling you'd enjoy any of her albums.

Burke

PS -- it still "kills" me that when I first heard about Patricia Barber and was listening to a couple of her albums for the first time at home, she was performing live in Houston that very night -- but I didn't find that out until it was a couple of days too late. I was working downtown at the time and, had I known, I could have taken the trolley from my office to the club where she was playing. Oh well... at least the CDs are wonderful. ;>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Burke!

Funny thing about the show...the same thing happened to me she was right beside where I work and I too only found out 2 days after she was gone! :cry:

David! YOU didn' t know about Patty Barber....never admit that out loud ops: (just kidding bud) I learnt it from you!

for me Modern cool was my first album...song 7 2:30 minutes in! As of that moment I was blown away. Patty Barber is an acquired taste but once you acquire it it is unbelievable

Bam!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"