X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Quentin Tarantino has accompanied each of his movies with great soundtracks. Mixing music from the 60's and 70's with music of today. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is his best yet.
    Most the hype on this soundtrack revolves around track one. Nancy Sinatra doing her version of Sonny Bono's "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)". What makes this interesting is the "surf" guitar that accompanies her. The channel seperation is extreme with Nancy far to the right and the guitar far to the left, somehow it works.
    The track that really got my attention, however, is Santa Esmeralda doing "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood/Esmeralda Suite". This version has a heavy bass line that requires nailing everything down in your room before playing. What is really interesting is how it is down with a Spainish flavor, both in guitars and snapping cassites (sp?), you know those little wooden blocks that go on the fingers of a Flamenco dancer.
    Unlike most soundtracks, there isn't a bad song on the entire CD. Like most soundtracks, it is best listened to loud.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is interesting Bob. I too have always thought Tarantino's scores for films were well picked. I have yet to see Kill Bill (I plan to) but I may get this track based on your review.

Thanks for the tip!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I really enjoyed the soundtrack, also - well, with one exception: the Japanese thrash (?) band in then restaurant was an audio travesty.
      :bash:
      The rest was excellent.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

David, how could you not like "Woo Hoo" repeated for three minutes accompanied by young nubile Japanese girls with electric musical instruments that they had trained for weeks on ?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"