X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Memorable Concerts of ALL time you attended

Well, I don't attend many shows now, (reads any really), but years ago, I was a concert animal.

I Know I saw, and there's perhaps others I can't recall now:

Eagles Hotel California Tour
    Heart, 2 shows
    Eric Clapton, 2 shows including my last concert Unplugged
    ZZ Top
    Boston, original tour
    Johnny and Edgar Winter
    Liberache (spelling?)
    and Yes, Elvis Pressly's 1972 or 1973 tour. I can't recall which.

My one regret, never seeing the Beatles live.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Oh Jeez, there were so many GOOD ones:

Aerosmith - Rocks
    Axe - Living On The Edge
    Def Leppard - Hysteria (wow, what a show that was)
    The Doobie Brothers - Farewell
    The Doobie Brothers - Reunion
    Texas World Music Festival - 1979 - aka Texas Jam 2. The lineup was:
    . Blue Oyster Cult
    . Boston
    . Heart
    . Nazareth
    . Sammy Hagar
    . TKO
    . Van Halen
    Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
    Michael Jackson - Bad
    George Michael - Faith

and as mentioned earlier

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

There were more, but these were the really memorable ones. Or maybe I should say the best ones that I really remember.
    :B

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Here are a few of the memorable concerts I’ve attended:

Fritz Kreisler

One of my earliest memories (at about age four) was going with my parents to see this consummate violinist perform. I fell asleep near the end because the hall was hot and it was getting late, but I do actually remember one of the selections he played early in the concert... and I have a later recording of the piece on CD.

Bob Dylan and The Band

When I was in college, Dylan came to town as part of a world wide tour -- I went with several friends because it was the “thing to do” not because I was really much of a fan – until I heard them live. The first half of the show was acoustical – just Dylan and his guitar. Then after the intermission, The Band accompanied him and the effect was electrifying. :>)

Eric Burdon and the Animals / Herman’s Hermits

Herman’s Hermits was the headline group, but honestly I cannot remember a single song that they sang, while the performances by Eric Burdon and the Animals of “San Franciscan Nights” and “House of the Rising Sun” were unforgettable.

Andre Segovia

He played solo for over two hours and not a murmur from the packed house – you could have heard a pin drop, but instead we heard the glorious sounds of his guitar. For once a standing ovation was truly deserved.

Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy – Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony

I had season tickets and there were several impressive concerts, including one with a beautiful rendition of Sheherazade, but the MOST memorable was a devastatingly heartrending performance of my fave symphony of them all . My date said “we skipped dessert for THIS?” I didn’t take her to any more symphony concerts. ;>)

Ella Fitzgerald and the Count Basie Orchestra at Carnegie Hall

Count Basie was already long dead, but the “band played on” – quite well, in fact. Ella was still in great voice and gave a rousing rendition of many of her jazz classics. I was in about the 20th row, which meant I could actually see her face without using binoculars as she sang SO expressively.

Metropolitan Opera: Benjamin Britten’s Peter Grimes

Is an opera a “concert”? Whatever – I wish I had a recording of this particular performance .

Bobby Short at the Café Carlyle

One year a while back, I was visiting relatives in NYC over Thanksgiving, and the evening of Thanksgiving Day, they wanted to take it easy, but I wanted to see Bobby Short, whom I had already heard via about a dozen albums, but not yet in person. So I took a taxi to the Café Carlyle in the middle of a blizzard and was part of an audience that filled only half the house. The maitre d’ seated me at a table about five feet from the performers. The first set was magical, and flew right by.

I was nursing a drink waiting for the second set to begin when Mr. Short surprised me when he came back after the break by asking if he could sit at my table instead of at the piano while he waited for the rest of the group to get back from the break (of course I said yes). He said I was brave to venture out alone in NYC on such a stormy night and after a bit of chit chat, he asked if there were any songs I’d like him to sing during the next set.

I named three songs and he exclaimed that with those selections, I had to be one of the ones who had bought a particular album of his with songs that he liked best but seldom sang during shows, and we quickly reviewed the lyrics for one of the songs he hadn’t done in quite a while. By then the rest of his ensemble had come back and he went to the piano and they started to play. They did all three of the numbers I had suggested, plus quite a few more.

It never occurred to me to ask for an autograph until I was long gone from the place. I’ve seen him perform several times more at Café Carlyle in NYC, and in LA and Houston, but that first show was definitely the most memorable.

Minnesota Orchestra - "Big River" / "Showboat"

This was sort of a "theme" concert, since both of the shows the orchestra played numbers from had stories involving the Mississippi River, which originates in Minnesota and passes through Minneapolis and St. Paul on its way south to the Gulf. They had some of the original cast members from the Broadway production of "Big River" singing along on some of the numbers, and when they did "Showboat", the baritone who sang "Ol' Man River" might as well have been tbe original -- I've never heard it sung more convincingly, including in the various movie versions or the more recent Broadway/national tour stage revival.

As impressive as the concert was, one thing I clearly remember is how damned COLD it was going to and from the orchestra hall, and this was in June! I was kind of glad to get back to Houston from my "summer vacation" in the Twin Cities, even if the Mississippi doesn't even come close to here. :>)

Vivaldi Bassoon Concertos -- Benjamin Kamins (principal bassoonist of the Houston Symphony) and ensemble

This took place at Rice University two days after 9/11 – the show went on despite the fear that any large gathering might attract further terrorist attacks, but I went anyway and it was literally standing room only and a magnificent performance. I ended up getting CDs of almost all of Vivaldi’s bassoon concertos because of this exposure. (I had listened to a lot of Vivaldi before, but hadn’t really paid attention to his prolific output for bassoon.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Understand that I've seen hundreds of concerts, but here are a few of my favorites.

Johnny Winter and... At the Fillmore. Talk about ringing ears for days. Simply amazing.

Hendrix X's three

Dylan X's two

Rolling Stones X's two

Jethro Tull put on a great concert at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium

Spirits last concert at the same venue was one of the best I've ever seen, with Neil Young joining them to boot

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Janis Joplin is still my favorite female singer

The Who

Clash

Led Zeppelin when they first arrived on these shores - At a high school gym no less

A great free concert with the Grateful Dead (who I saw many times), Quicksilver Messenger Service, and The Jefferson Airplane. Airplane stole the show imo.

Those are a few of my favorites. Back in those days, even my high school had great groups. My junior prom had Albert King and my senior prom had The Flying Burrito Brothers with Gram Parsons.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Oh man, I forgot ALL about the Almon Brothers! Incidentally, my band played most of the Filmore East album. :-y

Burke, detailed and precise post. nice.

David, the hard rocker.

Danbry, the concert ANIMAL

Led Zeppelin at a high school gym, dude that's awesome! :T

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Mine was seeing Grover Washington Jr. (which was his last tour before passing) with Jeff Lober in Seattle. Needless to say, these gentlemen tore the show up! It was the best concert that I have been to.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Wow, there are lot of dead artists on these lists.

You guys are OLD!

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by SiliGoose
                Wow, there are lot of dead artists on these lists.

You guys are OLD!
                I guess that makes the fans of murdered rap "singers" old, too? :>) There's an advantage to being older than two decades -- means that you've had a shot at seeing some real music legends in their own time. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

I guess that makes the fans of murdered rap "singers" old, too?
                  LOL! Na...I was around for those guys...that makes them *not* old.
                  I agree, though. It's cool to see some of those names up there.

That said, I don't think I share much in common in terms of musical tastes. Not only in a generational way either.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Sili, inquiring minds wanna know. What are your musical preferences?

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

I should start by saying I'm from a very musical family. I grew up on many of the artists mentioned in this thread. I don't want to give anyone the idea that I lack any respect for the above mentioned artists (well, there are a few I could poke serious fun at )

I'm 31 (that might help with reference).
                      I started out liking goth rock (Bauhaus, Love & Rockets, The Cure) but got bored and discovered my all-time favorite band, The Pixies -the band who (thankfully) killed pop-metal with the invention of (the now overused) alternative rock genre.
                      My tastes haven't strayed too far from there, however. Currently, I've been listening to a lot of:

The White Stripes -just a lot of fun; loud, soft, they do it all (with only 2 people!). Great, smart lyrics and creative music.

Radiohead -brilliant, the Pink Floyd of the day

Stephen Malkmus -formerly of Pavement; a sarcastic and funny poet

Ani Difranco -her older stuff, she's best when angry

Beck -Sea Change is amazing...check it out if you haven't heard it -even if you hate the rest of my list you owe it to yourself to check this album out

Bjork -the female Beck

Beatles - Abbey Road is the most amazing album...I can't stop listening to the 2nd half

Elvis Costello -he is what rock 'n roll should sound like

The Clash -I've really gotten back into London Calling and Sandinista

The Black Keys -a new 2-man blues band I just discovered...tons of fun & great blues guitar

The Raveonettes - yet another 2-person rock band...very interesting "clear" sound

Weezer - I'm embarrased to add them to this list...but it's one album specifically: Pinkerton. It's my second favorite album of all time (after Abbey Road). Intensely personal and revealing...sick and real. It's amazing these guys haven't been able to accomplish this again.

That's all the stuff I've been spending a lot of time with.

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Interesting list Silli I'm almost 29 and I can't say I've heard much from any of the artist you listed :B

My favorite concerts would have to be Nitty Gritty Dirt band...lots of good songs but mainly b/c i've seen them twice in very small venues which is always cool.

For big shows though Rod Stewarts last show in town was amazing. He basically started at the beginining and sang a hit song for every year since then. It was amazing to hear so many popular songs all night. Again though it helpped having 9th row seats:T

Comment

• dave
                          • Aug 2003

my best memorys are # 1 Van Morrison put on a great show in seattle at the paramount theater in the early 70s #2 then there was ELO who played at the arena in seattle along with deep purple (purple was the draw & they werent to good) #3 was chicago saw them 4 times in seattle excellent concerts #4 the Four Tops& The Temptations played at the paramount in the 80s that was incredible# 5 was a old band called bread I saw them in thier prime that was great :P

dave
                          Dave...

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Dave, you dawg you! I never had a chance to see the "original" Chicago and it's something I regret.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• dave
                              • Aug 2003

Dave:: That band really had something special in those days. I can,t remember any band that rocked so hard & yet played so elegently as Chicago::: Now one band I missed Was Pink Floyd & I really regret that. But hey weve got all the records & cds........... :P

dave
                              Dave...

Comment

• dave
                                • Aug 2003

Dave:: That band really had something special in those days. I can,t remember any band that rocked so hard & yet played so elegently as Chicago::: Now one band I missed Was Pink Floyd & I really regret that. But hey weve got all the records & cds........... :P

dave
                                Dave...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                  • Jan 2002

I will always remember 2 great concerts:

Pink Floyd - (Birmingham, AL. 1993)
                                  The Eagles - (Orlando, FL. 1994 and Birmingham, AL. 1994)

Being a full time ticket broker back in the 90's I attended my share of concerts in the southeast but none as good as these.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Eduardo
                                    Moderator emeritus
                                    • Jun 2002

I love concerts. Probably been to about a 100 or so. I listen all ranges of music from rock to jazz. Here a few that I will never forget.

Bruce Springsteen & E. Street Band - The Rising Tour. With out a doubt one of the most energized musicians I have ever seen.

Phish - What great show and music. Half the ambiance is the crowd.

The Eagles - Farewell I -> I never thought I'd ever see them.

Huey Lewis and the News - 1986 what a great concert.

Santana - 1985 - raised my apreciation of live music.

Iron Maiden (1983-1985) - I don't think I have ever been to a louder concert -> Radio City

Oh the memories. Thanks for taking me down memory Lane.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

I've been to a few concerts over the years, most of which I enjoyed very much. I don't know if there's one, though, that would be the most memorable of all times.

I'll tell you this, though--if I could go to one concert in the rest of my life, which I guarantee WOULD be the best concert of my life, it would have to be U2, my favorite band.

CHRIS
                                      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• gd
                                        • Jan 2003

Out of hundreds attended, these are standouts:

Jeff Beck (1973, 80, 99, 02, 03)... 99 was otherworldly... he's just the best.

Miles Davis (70)... Bitches Brew had just been unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

King Crimson, and various side projects (80s-present)... high art... incredible improvisations.

Stones (66, 75, 80)... 66 was chaotic fun with Brian Jones present, 75 was one the best rock shows ever, 80 was a total yawn.

San Francisco benefit concert to throw bail for the Grateful Dead (70 -- those were the days, huh)... from opener to headliner, all in their prime, it was: Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks... It's A Beautiful Day... Santana... Quicksilver Messenger Service... Jefferson Airplane... (Quicksilver was just stunning!)

Frank Zappa, premiere of "Sinister Footware" (84)... one-time performance with the Berkeley Symphony Orchestra, Kent Nagano conducting... included costumed choreography... FZ was there only to introduce and describe the pieces; he didn't look happy, but it was a great concert.

Ornette Coleman Trio (02)... avant garde living legend.

So many others... Doors, Zep, Talking Heads...
                                        greg (gd to you)
                                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"