What's the worst cd/album in your collection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What's the worst cd/album in your collection?

Today I was looking through my music for something to play. I was looking for music that I've not played in a long while. I stumbled across this disc: Spring by Anthony Williams ((Blue Note #CDP 7 461352) .

This disc really sucks! :B And is a prime example of why the drummer isn't the lead of the band.

Herbie Hancock (piano), Wayne Shorter (tenor sax), Sam Rivers (tenor sax) and Gary Peacock (bass) round out the group. Tony Williams may be a good drummer. However, this is not a disc that I'd suggest to anyone. Unless that person just wanted to be depressed. Which is how I felt while forcing myself to listen to the entire disc. I was hoping to find at least one song or redeeming quality. Didn't happen.

What makes it worst, I have know clue how it even ended up in my collection! ops:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

With the change from Genesis Genre IIs to two pairs of Magnepan MG12s, 1/10 of my CDs didn't sound all that great. I still love everyone ( from Aaron Copland, Bjork, BT to ZZ top ) but worst is Lords of Acid: Lust. I can't listen to it on my Maggies at all. I hope I get a pair of Bryston amps for X-mas.

Jaakan Shorter

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Based on content, it's a Pantera CD that I bought for one song that was getting a good bit of airtime. I won't mention the CD's title, but the rest of it was nothing but filth.

Based on poor production, it'd have to be a recent Def Leppard album titled X. It's basically unlistenable.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

probably the worst I ever bought was the Crash Test Dummies last CD...utter crap. I couldn't even give it away uker: To bad since the first two disc's are great.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I have a few lemons in my lp collection, but I have been very careful in what I have purchased in cds and pretty much like them all.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Depends on what you mean by "worst". :>) I have a couple of classic old-time recordings by artists long since dead that sound like they were recorded at the bottom of a barrel while someone scraped their fingernails over a blackboard in the background. And that's AFTER electronic "cleanup" of the sonics. :>) But the performances are indispensible and there is really no other way to hear them. So I keep them, and keep listening to them.

But if by "worst" you mean "disappointing", it would have to be Joan Osborne's second album. (Technically, it was her fourth or fifth, but her first few were very limited release albums sold at concerts and had pressings of only about 5,000 copies each.) The first one (in wide commercial release), "Relish", was so gutsy, so provocative, so well produced, so much fun to listen to, that I bought the second one, "Righteous Love", without listening to any tracks in advance. Big mistake. Instead of unsentimental, bluesy, in-your-face lyrics, she went with insipid, artsy, pseudo-religious drivel that could have been generated by a computerized greeting card slogan-writing program. And the instrumentals weren't very interesting either.

Another disappointing one would be Joan Baez' "From Every Stage", a compilation of her greatest hits using "live" performances instead of studio sessions. Only it sounded like she was sleep walking through the numbers, instead of trying to excite the audiences with her singing. My favorite pop album of all time is her "Diamonds and Rust" and I was hoping for at least a little of that album's spark in the "live" album. But, alas, that quality was AWOL.

Geez -- two Joans, two groans. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Burke,

I chose to use the term "worst" for the very essence, it is vague. I was hoping that this would allow more freedom in responding to this thread. I apologize for not being clear with my intent.

All,

Please feel free to explain those disc that also falll into the relm of being "dissapointing" :B ! It would give more credit to your claim if these were from a genre which you enjoy!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I've got a few good candidates, almost all being free or something I found in a $1 bin and thought "hmm... can't hurt to try that".

The worst though? Probably a CD of dogs barking out notes of Christmas songs. (yes, this was a free one sitting in a stack--very appropriately priced)

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Dogs barking out Christmas songs... :LOL: I love it !

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"