X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

What happens now with the BEE GEES ?

Even though their real hey day was during the disco period, the Bee Gees continued to be popular right up to the current period with their concert tours. Now that Maurice is gone, will the tours end ? The belnding of the three voices is what gave them their unique sound, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I enjoyed the Bee Gees while growing up. And actually just bought the 2 -disc cd (greatest hits) about two years ago.

I saw one of their recent concerts on HBO or something last year. I remember thinking that, this group has run it's course. Not that they were to old to perform. It was the Bee Gee sound which launched this group to stardon was gone. It was great to see them together but, I would not have paid to see them.

It also help me decide not to purchase one of their DTS dvd's for it was of one of the more recent shows. So imo, I doubt they will carry on the group after this.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Correct, John, their sound is from a different era. But they still seem to have a cult following so I can't help but wonder if they will try to replace Maurice and try to continue on.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

This was quite unexpected. I guess we never know. It was his time, unfortunately. Their harmonizing from the days of Saturday Night Fever, was amazing. Great songs. It's difficult to stay on top, even for a young group. As they get older, it gets even tougher for a band depending so much on their voices.

Look at Paul McCartney. Basically, the chops are gone. He's a legend, he was amazing, but his time has come and gone. Sure, I'd pay to see Paul, just because he was a Beatle, because of his amazing career. To hear some of those amazing songs. Even if, with a voice of years gone by.

so, the Bee Gees, may add another voice, but even if, their time has come and basically gone except for the nastalgia factor.

Sure, they can all have moments of greatness, because they are great musicians, professionals. But I am sure they all feel the magic leaving, probably before anyone else does.

Maurice will be missed. We hate loosing the legends.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I pretty much agree with Lex. But last night I heard on the news where Barry Gibb said they will continue to perform. Really, they should probably call it a day while they still have respect from the fans.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

George,

I was actually refering to, their inability to hit the notes. What was the draw of the Bee Gees for me was, the way they sang falsetto. IMO, it was that sound which made them famous. Now, I understand that we get older and things change (lord knows I have) . But, that is the sound that made me enjoy them. When I hear them perfoming and not being able to reproduce it, I have no interest in paying.

I like the Bee Gees and wish them well. I am sad for their loss. I just feel like a good prize fighter, athlete, etc., they should go out on top.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I understand, John.

Oh, I caught another interview where they say they will continue to sing, but no longer as the Bee Gees.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"