X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Just picked up "Thriller" And "Off the Wall" Re-Mastered

I have no clue as to how an album or cd gets re-mastered but, they did one helluva job with these two. I am impressed with how much more they can squeeze out of redbook cd's with each passing year.

This release of Thriller best any prior release on any format (though I've not heard the SACD version). The dynamics of the re-master are incredible! You will also get some background of a few of the songs on the disc.

Both disc are are worth a listen to.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Sounds good, John. What do you think about Jacko's rant regarding the poor sales of his last cd? Is it justified. It really isn't like Michael to go off like this.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

You know George, when an artist (or anyone for that matter) begins to yell "foul-play", and it is in follow up to a dissapointing outing, most would just turn a deaf ear. But when that person is the "King of Pop" or as such, you tend to pay more attention.

Now with that said. I have no clue if MJ is justified in his position for, as we all know, many things go on behind close doors. And more so when big $$$ are at stake. But, Michael being the reserved type most of his life, it seems strange that he would choose to speak out and not have a leg to stand on.

Sony music reportedly spent 25 million dollars promoting this release. However, I have yet to see one commercial for his latest release. Maybe I have just missed them! When "Thriller" was hot, I always saw something on tv or heard something on the radio about it. And I have seen tons of advertisements for groups that are imo less worthy.

The other side is of course, the album could simply suck. Thus, no amount of publicity could save it. I have yet to hear it so, I cannot judge one way or the other.

Interestingly enough, Johnnie Cocharane (SP) as well as many other big names, gave their support at this press conference (so to speak). So, I'm sure many things will come to light in the days ahead.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

If you recall, there was a time when Elvis couldn't get much going in his career either, and he was the King of Rock and Roll! Then later on, people began to realize, hey this is Elvis, he's not going to be around forever and he's important to Rock and Roll. So, his last concert tour, he really packed em in!

I believe it was Beatle mania that had something to do with Elvis career slowdown.

Michael, like it or not, is in one of those career lulls. Part of it is perhaps his own fault. You can't stay locked up, not produce songs, and keep on top. People move on. The key to continued success is well, continued performances, evolving, changing with the times. Look at the Rolling Stones!

Then again, maybe look at Michael, what he's done to himself. People feel sorry for him I think, at what he's become. He ruined his physical appearance, then there were child molestation charges brought and dropped, etc... That's not to say he was guilty, I don't know. But he sure leads a weird lifestyle, got to admit that. As to how Michael can become sucessful in the future? I just don't know.

I sure don't know much about these allegations he's made, etc...

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It doesn't make sense to me. Why would Sony want sales for Mr. J's release to slump? They have as vested an interest in his music making a profit as he does. Personally, I don't think his last couple of releases have contained much in the way of good music. Is this maybe sour grapes because Janet has eclipsed him in popularity and in quality music?

:roll:

Back on topic - OTW and Thriller remastered? Now that's kewl. Have to head to Wherehouse and give them a listen.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah, Tex, that's pretty much the way I was leaning in my thinking.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Michael Calls Tommy Mottola A Racist

Multiplatinum singer Michael Jackson, already feuding with his record company, charged Saturday that the recording industry was a racist conspiracy that turns profits at the expense of performers - particularly minority artists.

"The recording companies really, really do conspire against the artists - they steal, they cheat, they do everything they can," Jackson said in a rare public appearance." (Especially) against the black artists."

Jackson, 43, who began his recording career as a child, spoke at the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network in Harlem. Sharpton and attorney Johnnie Cochran Jr. recently formed a coalition to investigate whether artists are being financially exploited by record labels.

He also singled out Sony Music chairman Tommy Mottola, saying he was "mean, he's a racist, and he's very, very, very devilish." Jackson also accused Mottola of using "the n-word" [nigger] when speaking about an unidentified black Sony artist. Sony Music issued a statement calling Jackson's comments "ludicrous, spiteful and hurtful. It seems particularly bizarre that he has chosen to launch an unwarranted and ugly attack on an executive who has championed his career ... for many, many years."

Sony produced Jackson's last album, "Invincible," which has had disappointing sales despite an estimated $25 million in promotion. The singer's fans say Sony didn't do enough to launch the album. Others in the industry say sagging sales were indicative of Jackson's declining appeal.

Jackson mentioned several black artists as victims

These are some of the "behind closed door" issues I was refering to. I don't agree or dissagree, it does seem strange though.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

If you would like to read more about it: http://news.mjfc.net.ru/latestnews.shtml

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

David,

I think you will be very pleased with them. Treat yourself to a listen.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Thanks for the article, John. I'm still might surprised by this outburst from Jacko.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

seems funny reading that MK feels Sony doens't like blacks...he's the whitest black man I've ever seen :roll:

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"