X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Stanley Clark

At work we often share CD's and MP3's to listen to so I'll often be given something I've either never heard of or just something I may not have choosen to listen to. Today I was given a CD full of MP3's from all sorts of people covering a wide range of genre. anyway about twenty minutes into the disc this guy starts playing the guitar and I'm all ears. The guys name is Stanley Clark and from what little I've heard so far ( 3 songs) it tends to be intrumental and sort of like Kenny G but much better with more edge to it. Anyway anyone know anyhting about this guy?

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew

I assume you're referring to "the" Stanley Clarke.

He's got just a little more on his plate than Kenny G.

These links will get you headed in the right direction. Enjoy, I sure do. :B

In-depth, uncompromising interviews with music's most vital and original voices by Anil Prasad.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

thanks thomas

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Congrats Andrew. Clarke is one of the "Masters".

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

so which of his numerous CD's would you guys recomend? I've been listening to a few of his tunes that I downloaded and I'm not that interested in his work with george duke (at least what I've heard so far...sounds like 80's music to me) I really like his guitar rifts though.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Andrew,
            I just went through my entire album collection. To my surprise, I don't own one of his solo efforts:O I have all of his projects with George Duke as well as his work with other artist.

I apologize that I cannot suggest some of his solo work. I guess I need to get some myself. He is a great artist and I really enjoy his work.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

"School Days" was one of his best solo albums- the record, that is. The CD version is a pale shadow of the original recording- I used to use a transfer from the vinyl to an Otari 10" 15ips half track machine for demoing. Yes, vinyl can be better than CD when mediocre mastering and 2nd or third generation tapes are used for the CD.
              There's a newer collection of his solo stuff out, that the mastering is better, though not optimum, I can't remember the name, but I'll look it up tonight or this weekend.
              A recent disk with good ensemble playing by him is the McCoy Tyner/Stanley Clarke/Al Foster release on Telarc, it's a DSD recording, down converted for the CD, and dual layer in the SACD/CD hybrid. Obviously, with McCoy Tyner, it's much more in a traditional jazz vein than the fusion material Clarke is known for.
              A nice older album Clarke was on is Return to Forever "Romantic Warrior"; get the remastered version, it should have a number with a -2.
              I also have both the Animal Logic albums, projectos he did with the Police's Sterwart Copeland and Deborah Muholland. Sort of Power Jazz Pop, if you can imaging such a category. There were sort of an East Coast thing; no one out here in CA seems to have heard of them besides me. I like 'em a lot, but as ThomasW will tell you, I have strange taste in music.
              Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yes Jon has strange taste in music but he thinks my stuff is weird, go figure

I suggest the 1st Animal Logic, it's musically more diverse/interesting than II

There's also a somewhat newer CD "The Rite Of Strings I.R.S." (Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola & Jean-Luc Ponty) 1995 I didn't know this existed so can't say for sure how good it is, but I will be buying it soon, given the great musicians.

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

thanks guys I'll keep an eye for them

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"