X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Michael Jackson R.I.P.

It has been confirmed by both CNN and the LA Times that the King of Pop has died after suffering cardiac arrest at his LA home. I'm in shock, and right after Farrah Fawcett too. :E

• Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Actually CNN still says that they have not confirmed it. Seems that noone really knows. He's either in a coma or dead.

Comment

• David G
      • Jan 2005

I have recently been watching the early Ed Sullivan appearances of the Jackson 5. Even at age 10, Michael was phenomenal. For 4 decades he gave his heart and soul to an often unappreciative and judgemental world.
      Michael, you were an awesome entertainer. May you now finally rest in Neverland.
      Last edited by David G; 01 July 2009, 08:20 Wednesday.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

RIP Michael... and Farrah.... and Ed McMahon too... what a week it's been.

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

What a shock! To me, Michael was the epitomy of youthfulness. He was due to start a series of comeback concerts in London on July 13 running until March 2010. The shows for the 50 London concerts sold out within hours of going on sale in March.
          RIP.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Wasn't it more of a retirement tour? I guess CNN did finally confirm it. It is a shock that's for sure.

Comment

• 1oldguy
              • Dec 2008

Appearently Lou F(The Hulk) was training MJ for his series of up coming concerts.
              Lou Came here a ways back to promote Bodybuilding.
              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

Very sad, I grew up with his music and enjoyed most of it and still do to this day. R.I.P.

Comment

• planitismetal
                  • Dec 2008

Moonwalker is Skywalking!!! R.I.P.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Yes, it has been a tough week for sure. R.I.P, for all of our fallen icons.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Thanks for keeping this civil. I saw a thread at a photography forum where it turned really nasty with some people's comments. Whatever happened in life, in death we should show some respect. His life was never truly his, not from such a young age. His troubles although not altogether surprising, seemed to always weigh heavily in his life.

There are many many similarities to how things ended with Elvis it seems, and as things are exposed in the news, even more similar than I thought. Becoming an idol isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. What goes up, must come down, and some take that trip very very difficult. So, Elvis died I believe at either age 42 or 46, I forget. Michael not to much more.

I said a comment in another thread that the ones that handle success, seem to always have something that keeps them grounded. It may be work with homeless, 3rd world children, a spouse, something. Michael was so isolated, he was consumed in the end by that loneliness probably. I was never a huge fan, but always knew how talented he was. It was undeniable.
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• btf1980
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Lex
                        Thanks for keeping this civil. I saw a thread at a photography forum where it turned really nasty with some people's comments. Whatever happened in life, in death we should show some respect. His life was never truly his, not from such a young age. His troubles although not altogether surprising, seemed to always weigh heavily in his life.
                        Well said!

As a guy who was born in the 80s, Michael Jackson was huge to me. I remember begging my parents for a leather jacket with zippers, because I wanted to be like him. Music was huge in my family growing up, so even at a young age I had access to early motown stuff, and boy was it great. As youngsters, me and my friends would imitate Michael Jackson. Try to do moonwalks etc.

I was in the 6th Grade when Dangerous came out, and a kid in my class did a play called "It don't matter if you're black or white" because of the Michael Jackson song, and so many parents were so touched by it. It was covered by the local news, and call me naive, but things got better for a little while in my community because of it.

Michael was an ambassador and humanitarian. A gentle, kind man who was eccentric due to his upbringing and lack of a childhood. It's clearly evident that he had some sort of suspended development. He was eternally youthful, and for that misunderstood, ridiculed and attacked. I love Michael Jackson, at least his music. He is finally at rest. Away from his demons and detractors. You will be greatly missed Michael. I was a fan all throughout, even in the most difficult and trying times.
                        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Yes, he does not need to be idolized, or immortalized, but there are good things about just about everybody that can be appreciated.

Me, I never really had a thing for Jackson's music. He had a few good songs. But I appreciated that he was such a performer, that he entertained a lot of people, even if I wasn't one of them.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

I think he did the best he could. He was fighting an uphill battle from the age of 5 , at least. His success seemed his only defense against his demons. When that began to slip , the monsters under his bed came out. Just my opinion.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• planitismetal
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Lex
                              Whatever happened in life, in death we should show some respect.
                              Show total respect!!! To anybody!!! Because a dead cannot defend himself...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Like Chris, I was never into Michael's music. But there is no doubt in my mind that he was a fantastic entertainer and no one deserves to die at such a young age.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

In the end, he will be idolized by some, he will be immortalized by his music and legacy as the King of Pop in some way, rest assured. I would say neverland will wind up much like Graceland, as a tribute and lasting legacy and a glimpse into Michael's life when he was perhaps happy. If he ever truly was. That I can't say. It's a sad story any way you end the book.
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

I glad I came upon this tread. Like Lex experienced, I also ran into some bad threads on Michael. It's distasteful when people poke fun at someone who gave so much to others, entertainment, charity, etc.. Yeah, he had his troubles, but I see nothing to be gained in speculating, and attacking someone about things that were never proved, especially after they have passed. That's the main reason why I enjoy this forum more than any other. The moderators keep things in check and you get a nicer crowd.

When I was a teen I really did enjoy his music in Thriller, mostly through watching music videos. I like his music but I'm not a huge fan. But, I've always really enjoyed watching him perform on stage. I think the way he got so involved in his music, with his dancing and story telling, really made him special. He was a sensitive person and really put himself into his music. Sad that he got so beat up by the world, as it seems sensitive people do sometimes.
                                    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"