Elton John live in Cape Town - what a show!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Elton John live in Cape Town - what a show!

Elton John kicked off his world tour with a two and a half hour non-stop performance at the Sahara Park Newlands Cricket stadium here on Sunday night (13th Jan).

Elton performed emotive love-ballads such as the popular "Sacrifice" and "Believe". He also sang other slow jams including "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", infamous Vietnam War ditty "Daniel" and classic pop-rock ballad "Rocket Man" - which he hammered away at for over 20 minutes! Then there were more hits, "Crocodile Rock", "Circle of Life", "I'm Still Standing", "Sorry seems to be the hardest word" and others. He ended a spectacular evening with "Your Song" and dedicated it to all of us.

To describe Elton's piano playing as fantastic is an understatement. The word "brilliant" comes to mind.

For the first time in a long while I felt completely nostalgic. Felt like a teenager/student again. It was bliss!

A thoroughly enjoyable performance from the brilliant performer, composer & pianist that Elton is.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I am not an afficionado of Elton John, by any means, but I remember hearing that he rarely failed to ‘hold forth’ on stage, and is a quintessential performer, who pays tribute to his audience.

Glad to hear you had a great time!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Nice... yeah, he is an odd ball, but I very, very much appreciate the skill of his music writing, composition, and performance. He's one of the few people I use the terms "musical genius" with.

(one of the few things that ticked me off about Elton was how he re-used "Candle in the Wind" for Diana)
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sounds like you had a great time! "Benny and the Jets" is still my favorite Elton John piece though, I like quite a bit of his work.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

My wife speaks very fondly of Elton's Christmas concert in 1973 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London. That was the night Elton introduced Kiki Dee to the world (they later released the song "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"). The audience sang Christmas carols before the encore. Sadly I wasn't there as it was 15 years before I met my wife...

Nigel.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"