X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasvanth
    • Jun 2006

Alicia Keys Has Returned

Hi

Has Anybody Listened To Alicia Keys New Album " As I Am", And What Do They Think Of It?

Happy Listening

Yas
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I have! We bought for our daughter for Christmas (she's a big Alicia fan and so am I). I must admit, I didn't give it the attention it deserved at the time. As my wife and I was just making sure it was 10 yr old safe!

Anyway, we had it on while getting some other things accomplished around the house. It seemed to have a 70's sound/theme to it. And very laid back for the most part. Not quite what I was expecting. Not bad, but a slight departure from her normal deliveries. Also, we didn't hear any profanity on any cut. As she seem to like to through some in here and there on previous releases.

I plan to sit down and give it a real listen soon. Hopefully before it looks like a 10 yr old owns it! :rofl:
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I enjoy listening to Alicia Keys and I have heard the song "No One", she is a former classical pianist, which is reflected in her style of play. I haven't heard all of her lyrics, but based on her upbringing and style, I would say she is a pretty safe bet. Keep us updated on the lyrical content John, although I don't believe she uses profanity, I am curious about the maturation level of her love songs.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Azeke
        I haven't heard all of her lyrics, but based on her upbringing and style, I would say she is a pretty safe bet. Keep us updated on the lyrical content John, although I don't believe she uses profanity, I am curious about the maturation level of her love songs.
        Azeke,

I tend to agree with you. However, you need to listen to her CD " Songs in A minor" the opening track " piano & I " has a certain four letter word repeated twice. There are a few others as well, scattered every so often in a few other cuts. I would not go as far to say their usage as vulgar, but they exist none-the-less.

I will let you guys know when I finish her latest release.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

I too purchased it for my young teen daughter...and quickly copied it to iTunes for me,that's still legal isn't it??
          You never know with the RIAA turning into Nazis recently.I haven't listened to the entire album yet,but that cut,No One...simply stays in my head.
          Great,great song...which she makes you 'feel' her.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I just got this album today and listened to it. I must say that it's recorded much better then her last album and I enjoyed it rather well.

Comment

• btf1980
              • Aug 2007

Superb album from a superb artist.
              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Finally did a serious listen

I'll get right to it...for the most part, I didn't like it. Two songs "No One" & "Lesson Learned" ( Feat: John Mayer) are nice. The rest, was very different from her previous work. Others may enjoy the change, I did not.

The disc also lacks dynamics. Which did not help matters. The vocals are clear though. Soundstage seemed compressed. All of this, with a stylized 70's sound, just didn't work for me.

On a side bar, a female friend of the family also got this disc for Christmas ( She's a big A.K. fan too). I spoke with her husband this morning. I was telling him my thought's on this CD. He said that his wife felt the same way. Of course, my daughter by contrast, loves the disc! :B

I'm sure that many will feel different about this release. As an Alicia Keys fan (I own all of her disc) this is not one that I would pay full price for.

Comment

• GregLett
                  • May 2005

I received it for Christmas from my sons. The album is ok but the SQ is not very good. Bad recordings are exposed on my system.
                  Greg

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Did you listen to her last album? That was a much worse recording I feel.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                      • Jun 2006

Hi Dougie,

Your right, it's just didn't have that crisp sound of Songs In A Minor.
                      Have you listened to her latest album ' As I Am' ?

Yas

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah I didn't think it was horrible. I listen to it and its pretty good. Not her best stuff but I like it. Of course I have a very broad range of music that I like so maybe that has something to do with it?

Comment

• fordster
                          • Feb 2005

Has anybody else noticed the static in the background? It sounds like an old vinyl record, or is that meant to be the 70s style? I like the album as a whole and this is my first Alicia Keys album. I had a voucher to get a free top 20 album so chose this. Has anybody heard the remix of No One done with Damian Marley? That is great.
                          Dave

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

fordster,

The "static" was on purpose, to make it simulate vinyl. I don't know why this has become so cool to do though. As I know that, most of my albums never sound like that during playback! :W

Glad you like the disc though.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"