X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Anyone going to see Genesis

I dropped a boat load (in my world) to see them in Cleveland on the 29th.

I saw them last in 1981, the "Duke" tour. To my delight,they performed "Suppers' ready".Eighteen minutes og unadultereted bliss.

Anyone know of a good Hotel with a jacuzzi, my wife has a bad back and will need to relax after a four hour car ride...and get ready for the show.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Guess everyone else is too young (or too old) to be into them.

Ordered my turntable. Should be spinning The Lamb Lies Down in a week or so.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What?????? They are touring?????? What's the lineup??????

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
        • May 2003

No Peter Gabriel.

I was hoping he'd change his mind, but no.
        I'd LOVE to see some Selling England by the Pound, Lamb, Foxtrot etc. but i guess they're just not ready.
        So it's back to what i call 'be-bop Genesis' for this tour.

Has anyone been to see "The Musical Box"?
        A pretty incredible tribute band out of Quebec.
        Actually, I shouldn't even use the term 'tribute'. They're a lot more than that.
        They've been touring N.A./Europe quite extensively over the past 10 years.
        (On hiatus this year, methinks).
        If you're an old school genesis fan, THIS is the show to see.
        Simply amazing.
        So amazing, in fact, that genesis gave them the rights to use the original slides/backdrops from their early shows.
        About as perfect as it gets.
        "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
        -Dark Helmet

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Leef DaLucky
          No Peter Gabriel.

I was hoping he'd change his mind, but no.
          I'd LOVE to see some Selling England by the Pound, Lamb, Foxtrot etc. but i guess they're just not ready.
          So it's back to what i call 'be-bop Genesis' for this tour.

Has anyone been to see "The Musical Box"?
          A pretty incredible tribute band out of Quebec.
          Actually, I shouldn't even use the term 'tribute'. They're a lot more than that.
          They've been touring N.A./Europe quite extensively over the past 10 years.
          (On hiatus this year, methinks).
          If you're an old school genesis fan, THIS is the show to see.
          Simply amazing.
          So amazing, in fact, that genesis gave them the rights to use the original slides/backdrops from their early shows.
          About as perfect as it gets.
          Hold on one stinkin' minute.Phil Collins took the helm for the Trick of the tail album and was a huge success.I understand the original voice was Gabriel, but...be-bop Genesis they are not.

I had the pleasure of watching them perform "Suppers' Ready" in 1981.Wow, what a treat.

Phil Collins,Tony banks,Mike Ruthoford,Darrell Sturmer,Chester Thompson !!!!!

Can't wait!!!!!!

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Hey KG, I am going to see The Who at the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood Fl on the 26th. Front row tickets! Oh yeah, I already told you that somewhere else. Have fun at Genesis!

Chuck

PS - What did you pay for your tickets to make Mrs. KG happy? Mine were outrageous but I scored a lot of points.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Hey, they're at the Hollywood FL Hard Rock? Cool... I'm going to be visiting there myself soon, right after a Miami cruise. I'm a HUGE Hard Rock fan, and always get the shot glasses from each one.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• kgveteran
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chasw98
                Hey KG, I am going to see The Who at the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood Fl on the 26th. Front row tickets! Oh yeah, I already told you that somewhere else. Have fun at Genesis!

Chuck

PS - What did you pay for your tickets to make Mrs. KG happy? Mine were outrageous but I scored a lot of points.
                Actually Mrs.KG is quite happy and.........Quite unaware of the cost.A little less than one of my RS Centers, but more than a loaf of bread .

Thats all I can hope for is a sold out show, and I'll be happy to be there.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Ordered my tickets my first night back from the UK (not great seats because A) it's the Olympic Stadium in Montreal and B) tickets went on sale while I was out of town). My all-time favourite band and I've never had the opportunity to see them live until now. Thankfully, I make enough money to do so. Still, with no corporate sponsor, the higher prices in this case are (somewhat) justified and I don't go to the 30-50 shows a year I used to (a few symphonies at modest prices and 1-3 shows a year).

Anyway, the inevitable DVD of the tour will give me the great views and sound that I won't get live, so the "event" will be sufficient.

Comment

• kgveteran
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                    Ordered my tickets my first night back from the UK (not great seats because A) it's the Olympic Stadium in Montreal and B) tickets went on sale while I was out of town). My all-time favourite band and I've never had the opportunity to see them live until now. Thankfully, I make enough money to do so. Still, with no corporate sponsor, the higher prices in this case are (somewhat) justified and I don't go to the 30-50 shows a year I used to (a few symphonies at modest prices and 1-3 shows a year).

Anyway, the inevitable DVD of the tour will give me the great views and sound that I won't get live, so the "event" will be sufficient.
                    We'll cross our fingers for a DTS soundtrack.Should be a great DVD though.

In 1981 The tickets for Rochester,Buffalo,Syracuse together were about 100.00 total....times have changed.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Anyone going to see Genesis
                      Probably-just not me. I have this personal issue with "80s" music. Don't believe the 70s were any better , but that's my bad music! Thought Phil Collins was superb for Led Zep during Live Aid . ( Not Bonham superb , but very good) I always lump the Police , Genesis , Flock Of Seagulls , etc.... into the same category. Probably has something to do with owning a decent stereo and living near Miami when Miami Vice was a going concern.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Genesis formed in 1969 or 70. Start with Trespass and work up through The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

The 80's stuff is not their best IMO, and bears very not so much relation to the older progressive material.

BB

Comment

• kgveteran
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Brandon B
                          Genesis formed in 1969 or 70. Start with Trespass and work up through The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

The 80's stuff is not their best IMO, and bears very not so much relation to the older progressive material.

BB
                          Well put. They could do the "Seconds out" soundtrack and I'd be a happy camper

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Brandon B

BB
                            Did not know that.(obviously!) I will have to check it out . Thanks for the tip , guys. :T
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                              • May 2003

Yep. I'm in that camp too.
                              I grew up on Trick on the Tail (still, one of my favourite albums of all time).
                              I have a couple friends that are diehard Genesis fans, that set me straight though.
                              Unless you listen to the early albums when Peter Gabriel was Lead, you're REALLY missing out.

At this point, I'd rather see them do a Seconds Out tour as well.
                              I never did see Genesis. I saw Collins twice, but never Genesis.
                              I really wish that Gabriel was in there for a bit, and i'd plunk down my $300, easily.

There's been a lot of buzz about potential set lists. I know Tony Banks was pretty adamant that they represent the entire repetoire (sp?) spanning Genesis's career. So on one hand, they WILL do some early stuff (maybe supper's ready, cinema show, Firth, etc). Just not a lot of it.

And, for the record, i'm a huge 80's fan. But I'd NEVER lump the Police in with Flock of Seagulls. They're just on a completely different level.
                              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

You mean building a band around hairstyles isn't on par with actual musicianship?

Crap, there goes my hobby.

BB

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

A good friend of mine saw the Lamb tour and I envy him for it--but I was only 8 years old at the time so I could hardly have expected to go (I didn't even know the band existed--my parents were foisting Conway Twitty and Lynn Anderson on me in the early seventies). I would love to catch a Lamb Reunion tour (and will, if it ever comes to pass). But I "discovered" Genesis with Abacab and I enjoy 90% of their music, from ALL the eras. And, since I've never had the chance to catch them live (I've seen Gabriel twice, Collins once--he was in Montreal on the same date in 2004 that Genesis will be on this tour, 14 September--and Mike and the Mechanics), I'm going to this show. I expect to enjoy the "event", as much as anything else (the Olympic Stadium--or "the Big Owe", as we call it around here--is a poor place, acoustically, for a show).

Maybe we can start a thread about the setlist we would pick--given a three hour time limit and the current line-up on tour? Could be fun. (I don't have time right this minute, but I will start one later if no one else has.).

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

You mean building a band around hairstyles isn't on par with actual musicianship?
                                    That was exactly my problem with "music" in the eighties! That , and way too much disco/dance influence in rock. Never cared for the Police . (or Ratt,Poison,Great White,Def Leppard , etc.)
                                    Yes , I know the seventies gave us the Bay City Rollers. I'm sorry. ops:
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"