X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jclyle
    • Feb 2005

"rockin" classical CD's

Hey -
    Just curious if anyone could reccomend a few classical CD's.. i'm curious how classical would sound on my system, I mainly listen to rock, but have a Virgil Fox CD that I play sometimes when i'm switching cables etc just for fun. Any titles that have heavy organ and fast tempo would be nice, and ones that are easy to find, say at a BestBuy, or BMG music club online.

Yes, this is an odd request, but thanks!
    Carter
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Carter-- for "heavy organ and fast tempo", check out the complete soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera. There's some good music in there.

Of course, many will recommend the 1812 Overture. If you can, make sure you get a good recording. Some wimp out with kettle drums instead of howitzers for the finale.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

Hi Carter,

Not sure if they are exactly Classical but I sure do enjoy them and they are instrumental.

Acoustic Alchemy........against the grain, back on the case, new edge.
      Incendio....................misterioso.
      Holst........................the planets.
      Stravinsky.................cincinatti symphony orchestra.
      David Helfgott............brilliatissimo.

Drop on down to the In Tune Forum for lots of suggestions too.
      ......Pat

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Patt, has Helfgott put out actual album(s)?
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Patt
          • Feb 2005

......sorry I dont know about the "albums / vinyl", but I do have his Cd.

Chris, are you a vinyl guy?.......my brother has a couple hundred from the 70's and 80's and doesnt play them.
          ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Moved thread to more appropriate forum - In Tune.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Ah, no, sorry, I got full-swing into the HT craze much after I could have salvaged my family's vinyl records growing up. Neil Diamond, Star Wars soundtrack, Peter Paul and Mary, Disneyland music, and Sesame Street all on record.

Oh well.

As for Helfgott, I didn't know he had anything produced. I'll have to check it out.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Carter look for ALSO SPRACH ZARATHRUSTRA by Richard Strauss. I have the Bernstein New York Philarmonic version on vinyl from Columbia Records. It may also be on cd. Others have done this piece as well. It was used in the opening sequence of 2001: A Space Oddysey. The organ is something else on this piece.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

There is a CD called Masterworks Reworked that has various artists playing uptempo arrangements of classical works. I was listening to MusicChoice on my local cable service a couple nights ago and they played Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata by artist Dakesh York. I checked several of the major music retailers and the CD was not listed. I Googled the artist name and found the following website where the CD can be purchased.
                  Domain for Sale. MobileUnderground.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

Vince Guaraldi........Jazz impressions of a Boy named Charlie Brown is an upbeat keyboard.

.........and Vanessa Mae plays a fast tempo "wicked" electric violin. :T
                    ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"