You like Rock and Roll but, not Country?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

You like Rock and Roll but, not Country?

The last couple of years I have been trying to trace the origins of rock and roll and gathering up the "essential" albums while they can still be found.
    Mostly I had worked my way back through the roots in the blues and gospel. The past few months I have been working my way back to the country roots and especially the Rockabilly years that started in 1954 and pretty much ended in 1960 for a variety of reasons. When I listen to what was going on during those years, both in Rockabilly and in Blues, it is hard not to get frustrated that rock and roll came to such a early demise. Only to be "revived" in the mid-60's with the insipid English version that to me was about as interesting as Pat Boone's versions of Little Richard's hard rocking tunes. But, that is another story.
    I would suggest that anybody that has even a mild intrest in rock and roll but, doesn't know its history to give a bit of a listen to www.rockabillyradio.net the next time you are working on your computer.
    Although most of the Rockabilly artists are obvious, Elvis, Conway Twitty, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, the real find for me has been Wanda Jackson.
    How it could be that I didn't know her is a real mystery to me. She toured with all the greats and is a lot like a female Elvis or Carl Perkins. One of her songs has the lines " ...it was called rockabilly fever way before it was rock and roll..." and in the same song "...we just took a little bit of country and mixed it with a little bit of blues...".
    Wanda Jackson is her name, check her out.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have one LP by Wanda Jackson. Don't know why I didn't buy more.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

The R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland has a whole floor dedicated to the origins of Rock & Roll. Everything from the Singers themselves to the scouts who found them, and the recording companys they made famous. They even have a 20min film you watch when you first arrive. Personally I hear more blues in R&R than I do country.

I've only been once, but I plan to go back again.
      I'm a Hendrix fan, and one of their exhibits is a surround theater blasting unreleased recordings of him jamming... :E

Well worth a plane ticket, motel, and $20 admission/donation.
      ~Nick

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Hendrix started out as a blues/jazz guitarists but, after getting out of the army and discovering LSD his music took on a new sound. It was never really rock and roll but, it was some of the best psychedelic rock ever.
        Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Bill Hailly, Conway Twitty (before the big hair), Buddy Holly, Elvis Presly, all came from country. Not to say that blues didn't have a huge impact on post 60 rock and roll but, not much on the early rock music.

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

George,
          I took a look at the pictures of your HT, very nice. My wife and I were in Maine last summer and took the ferry to N.S. You guys are a hardy bunch. I complain if the temp drops below 70•.
          I don't see a TT in your pictures but, I can see some records behind you. Where is the TT?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Bob, what you see are laserdiscs. I keep my collection of LPs and CDs in another room, primarily because I don't use the theater for music. That I do elsewhere in the house with a 2 channel setup.

Hardy ? Oh, yeah. In fact as I look out the window at this moment, there is a blizzard raging.

BTW, I love reading your posts. Always interesting.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Good topic Bob! :T

If you (not just Nicholas, but whoever is reading this) are looking for Country influences in rock (not rock 'n roll) you need to check out Southern Rock such as offered by The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38-Special and Gov't Mule. And, not to forget rock with country influences (which differs from Southern Rock), I offer up The Eagles, The Doobies (well they had country, jazz, blues - you name it - rolled into their music), Fleetwood Mac (maybe more Folk here than Country?) and ZZ Top. All these suggestions are off the top of my head as I sit here at work, so don't hold me accountable for any major omissions.

Now back on topic....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Joseki
                • Sep 2003

To follow up on David's post, check out:

Byrds - Sweethearts of the Rodeo
                Cross Canadian Ragweed
                Uncle Tupelo
                Jayhawks

David

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I know southern rock (Skynyrd), but 40's/50's era country music that morphed into 50's rock isn't easy for me to find.

I suppose Elvis is one, but he did alot of blues too. Personally I think the biggest influence on the creation of rock were blues and the electric guitar. Hendrix took 50s rock to a whole new level in the 60s. His improvisations are amazing, and the music has soul to it, not just great riffs. Songs like Hotel California by the Eagles are great tunes, but a note is a note. Hendrix had the passion like Muddy Waters where a string pluck felt like it was alive and breathing. He also had the psychedelic capacity of Dylan. Hands down my favorite artist.

One modern guy that came close was Slash from G&R. November Rain is a fantastic tune.

Just my $0.02 :dudes:
                  ~Nick

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"