X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

Does humour belong in music?

Hi I was wondering if anybody else had an interest in what I like to call "gonzo rock" weather it be Frank Zappa , Warren Zevon ,They Might be Giants ,Ween or Tenacious D to name a few who sping to mind and what are your favorite song/album/artist DVD etc from an artist with a sense of humour or just plain weird?
    Brendon
  • CJ Paul
    • Oct 2004

For me, it depends. Alice's Restaurant is one of my favorite songs, but it is somewhat unique in the sense that it tells a story with music to go along with it. Some "funny" artists are too much for me. Like Weird Al. I can listen to one or two songs if they pop up on the radio but I have no desire to own any of his music.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Good topic Brendon.

For me, "Steely Dan" adds great humor in their lyrics. Not to mention that they seem to have a great knack of mixing the sounds of many genres into each and every song.

Another artist that I enjoy is "Michael Franks". He's more of a jazzy/easy listening type, with humor laced lyrics.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• brendon
        • Aug 2004

I am currently starting to build a small collection of Frank Zappa CD's and am blown away by the amount of material this guy released in his career .The discography section on All Music Guide site for Zappa is huge. His clasical cd Yellow Shark recorded with the Ensemble Modern topped the classical charts when released.
        Very interesting to see the top notch musicians he also had in his band before they went onto bigger and better things Steve Vai being the first who springs to mind.
        And he deserves to be famous for his song and Album titles alone.
        Brendon

Comment

• drosophila
          • Dec 2004

Personally, i've gotta give a nod to Szeki Kurva. They released 3 albums on Iris Light UK, then disappeared... only to reappear as Fighting Cocks. Combine gabber techno, Hungarian folk, thrash metal, movie soundtracks, and japanese animation, and it still doesn't quite describe it. Somehow, this melting pot gets blended into a single song, and sounds insanely, remarkably enjoyable.

szeki kurva!
          There are a couple preview MP3's - I particularly recommend the 2nd one, 'Bond Averts World War III' (the album covers link to the mp3's)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Absolutely, humor belongs in music. The classical musicians in centuries past had some moments of mirth in between their more serious works (check out Lully’s court ballet that was scored for farm implements, or Haydn’s “Surprise Symphony”).

In today’s eclectic music world, there’s a lot of room for a lighter “take” on things. But there is a difference between slyly playful lyrics and outrageously exaggerated performances that scream out "aren't we just too funny for words?"

For example, Leonard Cohen shows a twisted, dour view of the world in some of his songs that, taken on their own terms, are quite amusing, even when sung without vocal or instrumental gimmickry.

Weird Al, on the other hand, always knows he’s being “cute” and a little bit of that goes a long way. Zappa’s work ranged all over the spectrum from some fairly serious stuff to “out there” efforts that (for their time) stretched the limits of acceptability. We lost him too soon.

Interesting that you should mention Warren Zevon, whose "Werewolves of London” was quite an entertaining novelty hit about 25 years ago. The album it was on, “Excitable Boy”, was chock full of tuneful songs with somewhat off-kilter views of the world. (I really like that album a lot.) :>)

His valedictory album, “The Wind” is NOT a “novelty” album, unless you count the incredible array of musicians who helped him make it such a listenable album, well worth repeated listening, including Ry Cooder, Bruce Springsteen, Emylou Harris, Billy Bob Thornton, Joe Walsh, Dwight Yoakam, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Don Henley and more.

It is poignant to hear him sing Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” and his own “Keep Me in Your Heart” when you know he died not all that long after. He had already been diagnosed with inoperable cancer and knew his time was short when he did the album.

The level of musicianship on the album is stellar, and the CD sound quality is system demo-level – effective soundstage, life-like vocals, engaging instrumental detail.

The album won a Grammy for Best Folk Album so there’s a chance that it will reach a wider audience than just those who think of Zevon only in terms of his more whacked-out early material. However, there is still enough “devil may care” attitude and humor interspersed in songs like (Party for) “The Rest of the Night” for his original fan base to enjoy it too. (I sure did.) Warren Zevon is another very special one who left us too early.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• brendon
              • Aug 2004

Hi Burke ,
              Mozart I am told had a number of works that were crowd pleasers if you will and had a wicked sense of humour (from my dodgy musical memory The Magic Flute and a Little Night Music?).
              One thing I think that gets overlooked is as you pointed out with Warren Zevon is that some of these guys are very musically tallented but are obviously sick of the traditional Love song format etc and need to put a bit of spin on it or have a message to get across but don't want to bore us to tears in the process.
              I only have one of Warrens compilations but agree as to quality of his work and that Excitable Boy track could teach Thomas Harris a thing or too about the macarbe .I also have a soft spot for Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner for similar reasons.

I know a lot of people cant see past the weird lyrics to the underlying music,These are probably the same people who spend hours trying to find deep meaning in lyrics that songs writers have written simply because they sound good.I seem to recall reading that Don McClean said his American Pie lyrics really did not have any great hidden meaning to them at all but rhymed nicely.
              Bands like Ween or Frank Zappas can play any genre that amuses them amazingly well (eg, Ween's Twelve Country Golden Greats featuring a host Nashville top session musos) and are great to have around when people start taking themselves and music too seriously eg FZ's Dancing Fool poke at the disco madness of the 70's .
              I am afraid I too am long past thinking that this weeks pop hit is suddenly hugely funny just cause Weird Al put a Polka beat under it and tweeked the lyrics and also someone please stop that Sar Trek guy William Shatner murdering popular songs by doing spoken word versions of them,He has almost ruined Pulps Common People for me! 8O

Brendon

Comment

• Cyclesberuff
                • Jun 2005

All music whether it is funny pop or just spanking intricate to play, fullfills one purpose; to transport you away from your body and everyday problems, IMO. To me music takes me somewhere into my own mind and spirit. I do not know of any musician who does not put thier emotions into thier writing onto one cd, you can have a slew of emotions.

Being Cuban myself, after my parents left Cuba no matter how hard that was the music never changed, always happy and upbeat.I remember them taking me to see Celia Cruz, everyone in the auditorium were in tears. Only years later I realized she had transported them back to Cuba, even just for two hours.That's the purpose of music.

Now back to a serious note Frank Zappa to me was never a comedian as much as a genius.The song Suzy Cream Cheese is fantastic I always hear something new no matter how long I've been playing it. Another group that brings a smile to my face are The Beat Farmers, Buster Pointdexter...the list goes on and on. Well that's all Folks !

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Brendon, humour definitely does have a place in music, and you've hit the nail right on the head with Frank Zappa. Cyclesberuff, I agree with you, the man was a genius. There are so many examples of humour in his albums, but the one that comes to mind immediately is Cosmik Debris off Apostrophe ('). I Don't know Suzy Cream Cheese but I will soon!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                    • Apr 2005

10 funny bands (Rock based format)

I believe a musician who is capable of injecting humor into their songs requires intelect and wit. Two items sorely lacking in popular radio music today. The below albums and bands, I find entertaining and darn funny.

In no particular order...

1) Young Fresh Fellows : Album : Topsy Turvy

2) The Flaming Lips : Album : Sky Tastes Matalic

3) Chris & Tad : Album : Hand me that door

4) Presidents of the United States: Album : Same

5) Frank Zappa : Album : You are what you is

6) Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks : Album : Pig Lib

7) Alice Cooper : Album : Billion Dollar Babies

8 ) George Clinton : Album : Computer Games

9) Fastbacks : Album : "And his orchestra"

10) Adrian Belew : Album : Lone Rhinocerous

All of these can be purchased or searched online (Amazon for example)
                    Enjoy

Andrew M Ward
                    Last edited by Andrew M Ward; 28 August 2005, 18:35 Sunday.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Joe Walsh.

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I bought a secondhand DVD on Saturday - Frank Zappa's "Does Humor Belong In Music?", filmed/recorded at The Pier NYC on 24 August 1984, so YES Brendon, it appears that humour does belong in music!

Comment

• brendon
                          • Aug 2004

How about a short review of the DVD?
                          brendon

Comment

• Cyclesberuff
                            • Jun 2005

yes I second the motion for a review

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Cyclesberuff
                              OK, twist my arm.

I love Frank Zappa, so I was always going to like this DVD, come what may. But would it convert someone who doesn’t already know or like Frank? No, probably not. Take the first track – Zoot Allures. Great guitar work but an unusual choice for an opening number at a concert. It assumes that the audience knows and loves Frank, which judging by the rapturous applause, they do, and unusually it contains no humour at all.

Fortunately the majority of the DVD is music, with only a few short interviews with Frank inserted here and there. Of great importance is the sound quality on the DVD, which I’m pleased to report, is very good. The video is OK, but as I’m into audio that wasn’t too important to me.

The band is very tight. They look like they have been playing together for a while, and they all appear to be having a good time on stage.

I was a bit disappointed about the amount of guitar work on the DVD. I really rate Frank’s lead but there isn’t enough of it. Cosmik Debris and Whippin’ Post are the highlights in that department, as well as Zoot Allures which is one of my all-time guitar favourites (the studio version).

Whippin’ Post was the highlight of the concert for me, which is ironic because it’s the only track not written by Frank (it’s an Allman Brothers song as I’m sure you all know). The keyboard player sings it and does an excellent job. Frank’s guitar on this track is top notch. I also enjoyed Dinah-Moe Humm and Dancin' Fool for no particular reason other than I like those songs.

Last but not least, I was a bit surprised that this DVD is called Does Humor Belong in Music? because there’s not a lot of humour on it, other than in the songs which were humorous to start with. Perhaps that’s the humorous bit? I’m starting to think like Frank now…

Overall conclusion? Money not wasted, but an FZ fan would say that.

The full list of tracks is: Zoot Allures, Tinsel Town Rebellion, Trouble Every Day, Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, The Dangerous Kitchen, He’s So Gay, Bobby Brown, Keep It Greasey, Honey Don’t You Want A Man Like Me?, Dinah-Moe Humm, Cosmik Debris, Be In My Video, Dancin’ Fool, and Whippin’ Post.

Comment

• brendon
                                • Aug 2004

thanks Bigburner will have to hunt it down.
                                Brendon

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Cyclesberuff
                                  So does the review earn me an mp3 copy of Suzy Cream Cheese?

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"