X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

"Like A Rolling Stone" voted best song

Bob Dylan's song topped the best 500 list by the mag of the same name.
    Personally I like his more recent stuff better. Just finished reading his book and have to say it was fascinating. Now I understand why there was a period of such poor material that came out prior to his last two albums.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bob, why was that? (I doubt I'll be reading the book)

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Bob, why was that? (I doubt I'll be reading the book)
      A series of things happened. There was the much publicized motorcycle accident that kept him out of music for awhile, then a hand injury that almost ended his guitar playing. But, those only delayed performing for a year or so. He married and simply wanted to raise his family in Woodstock and be left alone. Then the prostests of the 60's started as well as the Turn on, Tune out, Mill Valley movement. People that read way too much into his lyrics wanted him to be a spokesman and a leader. There was a constant migration to his farm including people breaking into it and scaring his family. They tried moving to NY city to live in a condo but, protestors would stand outside with bull horns trying to get him to become involved and his fellow home owners wanted him to leave.
      He thought that if he changed directions musically he would no longer be thought of as a "protest singer/songwriter" and his family would be left alone. He tried country western music first (hippies thought all country western music was red-neck music). When that didn't work he tried religious music, anything that wouldn't be political or commentary. He even tried to make music he figured nobody would like so that they would leave him alone and he contemplated becoming involved in investment capitol instead of music. I have worked a lot with his oldest son and Jessie told me how hard those years were when so many people chased them about.
      This is a very brief synopsis. I work enough with famous people to know how hard their life is in regards to privacy. Dylan's was worst than most because people didn't just want his autograph they wanted him to lead movements he didn't want any part of.

Comment

• H.Donald
        • Aug 2004

I was never much of a Dylan fan..but I always liked that song,Hendrix did a great version of it at Monterey.I use to have an album "live at Monterey"...Hendrix on one side Otis Redding on the other.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"