X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Of dogs, loyalty, turning three times before you lay down & a good Cuban.

John Broskie recently had some interesting comments on vinyl. As usual, I agree with much of what he has to say and respect everything he says. (John’s words are in italics, my comments are in normal text.)

I have been spinning a bunch of vinyl…and I don't want to stop. As I write this, I am spinning Peter, Paul and Mary's (Ten) Years Together album, which has never been a favorite, but dang if I am not being pulled into the music. Even the dreaded Puff the Magic Dragon is altogether compelling. I have to say again; it's amazing just how amazing LPs sound. Yes, I know they tick and pop sometimes rumble, but dang it, they can sound so...so dang real.”

Oh boy, here we go again. The dreaded ‘Tick & Pop’ protest. Look, I don’t know if this is rocket science that comes easy just to me alone, or nobody cares to think this through and see the simple obvious truth. The bottom line is that a record that has been mistreated will be noisy. Period. If you collect used vinyl you also know that just looking at the LP will not always tell the truth about its condition. That is because you can’t always see the damage done by a worn or improperly adjusted stylus. I have used vinyl that sounds brand new after a cleaning on my VPI 16.5 record cleaner. But honestly, most used vinyl tells the story of careless handling and/or poor equipment maintenance by the previous owner/s. My pristine LP’s, whether purchased brand new or fortunate finds during long hours searching the racks at used record shops, always sounds great. I treat my records with care. It’s not hard and doesn’t take more than few minutes time during each spin. When I play my good vinyl for people, I don’t tell them it’s a vinyl record playing. They assume it’s a SeeDee. They are always shocked and in disbelief when I prove to them they are listening to vinyl.

Funny thing, though. About grungy vinyl that is. It’s like the proverbial dog that when kicked by its master, will still return to its despicable excuse for an owner, bruises and all, and try its utmost to please. Sort of like what John was referring to when he says despite the surface imperfections of mistreated vinyl, the ‘realness’ of the music is still there.

At the same time, to be perfectly honest, I hate the LP's meager playing time per side and the ticks and pops can be distracting; in addition, the whole ritual of getting up, replacing a disk, cleaning, static removal, cueing up the cartridge—all are a pain. (My wife complains of not having a track-skip button.) But as they say, there are no roses without thorns...although there are plenty of rose-less, thorn-covered stems.”

This is just a V personal issue. I don’t mind the break during listening to a 33rpm LP. It somehow keeps me focused on the act of listening. Now, there is that 45rpm LP format which has an even higher sound quality (sort of like Redboook vs HiRes) that really should be part of whole lifestyle modification. I mean one side is finished in like 12 minutes. For something like KOB or ‘insert your favorite album here’, it is tolerable for certain occasions. But even for a vinyl junkie like myself………well, even I have my limits.

And the whole ritual of record care is, in a small way, exhausting and fatiguing. A friend once explained to me that within a gathering of music-lovers, spinning LPs makes sense; whereas no one gets together to spin CDs. I wasn't sure what he meant and I countered with the observation that audiophiles get together to spin CDs all the time.
    His answer was that while audiophiles do gather to listen to speakers, amplifiers, and cables, they do not gather to listen to music. Ouch. Still, I thought he was exaggerating a bit too much, so he went on to explain to me that playing an LP was special, being a more personal act than pressing buttons on a CD player's remote, as the LP required its own special ceremony of preparation, which only the owner could perform. Thus, the LP's extra effort and fragility made playing an LP for friends something of a small, personal gift. Maybe he's onto something; besides, the Eric Hoffer observation that I love to repeat is that thought requires exaggeration and an unwillingness to exaggerate often betrays an unwillingness to think
    ”.

So, come on over and I’ll make you dinner, too. No seriously. The ritual of preparing & serving food for guests is one that has origins going back through the millennia. Another example is the Japanese tea ritual. The significance is in the act itself. A respect for and honoring of the act between humans that creates a bond within the species. A bond that helps ensure the continuation of the species.

Ok, this has gone too far now. We are quoting philosophers and analyzing human origins and even the human condition itself. Maybe we just do it cuz it’s what we like to do. It just makes us feel good. I apologize, but I must invoke the words of an oft recognized psychoanalyst. As Freud supposedly said, “Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar”.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 23 January 2012, 16:19 Monday. Reason: added note re quotes from John Broskie and my text
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

More people just need to chill out and listen to the music... whether it's on Vinyl, Real to Real, CD, or Digitally on a computer.

Take the music in for what it is... and enjoy!!!

Course then there's those of us that like all the little tweakings to make any of the formats sounds their utmost best! And taking in the limitations of each format...because they ALL have limitations, and accepting each for what it is!

I really think you can't have a good "listening" session with more than 3 or 4 people. At that point it gets away from listening to the music and focusing on the equipment or other things. It's the nature of the beast so to speak.

Good points on it all Bill! This is why I NEVER mind coming over and just chilling out with a few Leffe's and listening to what each of us has brought to the table!

Course I'll bring a lot more once you get your DAC... That'll make it easier for me to demonstrate what hi-res digital can sound like!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Gosh !! Sheesh.....99% of the time that I hunker down and seriously listen to music is by myself......most people sadly do not seriously listen to music at all..... but listen to it as they are doing dinner, dishes or other such non focused activities.........In today's world.....people do not truly listen to music any more!!!.......Sad, but true!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Listening to music is an activity for me. I get too distracted to do anything else when music is playing-dinner burns , dishes don't get clean , etc.. :B
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Miscellaneous Ramblings; Part Deux

Some other interesting quotes by Eric Hoffer tell of the hazards of listening alone, knowing what is write :W and turning three times before you (p)lay:
          1. A man by himself is in bad company.
          2. An empty head is not really empty; it is stuffed with rubbish. Hence the difficulty of forcing anything into an empty head.
          3. Animals often strike us as passionate machines.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Miscellaneous Ramblings; Part Trios

The productive powers of panic & Mayan prognostication:

You may not be aware of the work Dan (aka PewterTA) has been performing on my system, but some significant changes were brought to my RB-1090 power amp recently. Since that time, I have only had a few hours to do some uninterrupted listening. I started with some SeeDee of Patricia Barber’s ‘Blue Café’ along with some other small-group jazz with a sprinkling of vocal and some Ry Cooder “Buena Vista Social Club" along with his infamous “Chávez Ravin”. The mids and hi fq are startling since Dan’s magic was applied. Voices are now so real as to be surreal. I continually jump as I think I’m being interrupted by my wife, or a possible intruder in the house.

This past Saturday I had the luxury of enough time to fiddle with the turn table. Wanting to explore further these new capabilities, I immediately pulled my V clean & dynamic pressing of Roy Orbison and Friends, “Black and White Night”. Not disappointed by the vocal performance, and actually slack jawed, I sat thru the entire LP mesmerized by the realness of the voices, their precise placement both horizontally and their relative distance from my seat in the audience (this is a live recording for those not familiar). As I moved on I began to digest some slightly unfamiliar characteristics of my system. I was spinning Dr John, “In a Sentimental Mood”. It then became self evident. There seems to have been a shift upward, more in the sense of detail and clarity rather than tonality. And it was affecting the macro dynamics more than anything else. There was a sense of pace & speed missing. That ‘this is live and right in your room’ feeling was diluted. The bottom end was still there, but with more tunefulness and less raw boom factor.

Of course, I reacted like any normal audiophile would and immediately began flailing arms and legs about wildly as tears began to well. What had been done was not to be undone. My life was failed. Those dam Mayans were right, the world had come to an end.

Eventually my emotional torrent subsided somewhat, due in part to copious amounts of New Zealand un-oaked Chardonnay. As my rational thought processes gradually recovered I soon began to evaluate the root cause. And then it dawned like an epiphany of analog’s superiority over digital. Months ago, my pre-amp had been totally rebuilt and heavily modified. One of the results was an increase in lower mid and low fq performance that required an adjustment be made to the horizontal tracking angle on my tone arm. This was done in order compensate for the newfound manly bass production. Dropping the pivot point .010 inches brought my system back to a more neutral condition while making the best of the additional energy in the bottom region.

With impeccable arrogance fueled in goodly part by a less well behaved California Sauvignon Blanc, I coolly accessed my turntable tools from their pint-sized tool box next to my TT, and deftly raised the pivot point .010 inches, exactly one playing card thickness (I keep a deck of playing cards in my tool box to use as ‘feeler gauges’ for just this purpose). Within minutes, full harmony was restored to the universe. And yes, you’re welcome! It was no trouble at all, really.
            Last edited by wkhanna; 24 January 2012, 18:12 Tuesday.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

See now if everyone doesn't read through the whole thing they're going to blame me for your lack of low end!!!! HA HA
              -Dan

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                As Freud supposedly said, “Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar”.

Maybe, but he never had an ash tray like the one I'm assembling !!

you can probably tell what it is but can you tell what it's out of ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-14%2011.39.28[1].jpg
Views:	214
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	857248
                Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 18:49 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

I’ll take a guess.
                  Based on your profile, I say it’s a piston & con-rod from a diesel locomotive?
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• twitch54
                    • Apr 2006

I’ll take a guess.
                    Based on your profile, I say it’s a piston & con-rod from a diesel locomotive?

Very good Bill, you are correct, from an Alco '244' prime mover, V-12.

my ash tray project is for my deck, I shouldn't be worried about the wind blowing it over.........when complete it will tip the scales @ 140 + lbs !!
                    Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by twitch54
                      my ash tray project is for my deck, I shouldn't be worried about the wind blowing it over.........when complete it will tip the scales @ 140 + lbs !!
                      Ahhh…….you may want to check the condition of the joists on your deck? :W

Name:	Diesel.webp
Views:	105
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	939922
                      Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 18:48 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

Miscellaneous Ramblings; Part Quattro

The League of Atavism, Snakes & Thorns and Showing Some Tail

Animals belonging to the family Canidae, or the sub-family Caninae, or the genus Canis; as in NotCho Dawg. Otherwise known as my dawg. NotCho Dawg arrived a year and a half ago. He is my first dog. Now at 53, I missed out on that kid-dawg experience as a child. Mom said No Way. No Pets! Bless her heart. She had enough to deal with. And dealt well, she did.

Finally, as an adult, I can call the shots now, so long as The wife is accepting, coerced or effectively deceived. Speaking of deception, when I pass, I sure hope The wife does not sell my system for less than 3 times what I told her I have in it. Ouch! Maybe time to amend the will?

Before NotCho Dawg, about the only thing that annoyed me more than pet owners who never stop telling cutesy little stories about their pooches, kitties, lop-eared rabbits, ferrets, you name it, they got it pets, was the ominous, pent up with unfulfilled nicotine withdrawal, ready to lecture you till Hell freezes over, ex-smoker. And yes, I still smoke. But here is some advice, never say never. And anyway, I have a caveat. These aren’t my stories. They’re from The Spectator, a weekly British magazine first published on 6 July 1828 and still in publication today. The stories are submitted by the readers. What I find most pleasing is that they are from the 1890’s and filled with all the charm and linguistic aptitude and elegance so painfully missing in today’s shorthand ‘texting’ & emailing vernacular. The compositions themselves are pure art form that would have my 9th grade English teacher brimming from ear to ear if she knew this day in the future, I final ‘got it’.

So for those so inclined, here is a link to Dog Stories from the "Spectator" being anecdotes of the intelligence, reasoning power, affection and sympathy of dogs, selected from the correspondence columns of "The Spectator"

They are part of the wonderful bounty found at Internet Archive
                        I imagine when your wealthy and retired you would have the luxury of spending all the time here that it deserves.

No, you don’t get off that easy. You must suffer my favorite two letters I pasted below because they are the basis of this entire rambling. Of course, by now you have probably skipped this whole post.

THE DOG THAT BURIED THE FROGS.
                        Feb. 2, 1895. (date Published)

Knowing your love of animals, and the interest so often shown in your columns in their ways, I venture to send you the following story I have lately heard from an eye-witness, and to ask whether you or any of your readers can throw any light upon the dog's probable object. The dog in question was a Scotch terrier. He was one day observed to appear from a corner of the garden carrying in his mouth, very gently and tenderly, a live frog. He proceeded to lay the frog down upon a flower-bed, and at once began to dig a hole in the earth, keeping one eye upon the frog to see that it did not escape. If it went more than a few feet from him, he fetched it back, and then continued his work. Having dug the hole a certain depth, he then laid the frog, still alive, at the bottom of it, and promptly scratched the loose earth back into the hole, and friend froggy was buried alive! The dog then went off to the corner of the garden, and returned with another frog, which he treated in the same way. This occurred on more than one occasion; in fact, as often as he could find frogs he occupied himself in burying them alive. Now dogs generally have some reason for what they do. What can have been a dog's reason for burying frogs alive? It does not appear that he ever dug them up again to provide himself with a meal. If, sir, you or any of your readers can throw any light on this curious, and for the frogs most uncomfortable, behaviour of my friend's Scotch terrier, I should be very much obliged.

R. ACLAND-TROYTE (submitted by)

AN EXPLANATION.
                        Feb. 9, 1895. (date Published)

I think I can explain the puzzle of the Scotch terrier and his interment of the frogs, for the satisfaction of your correspondent. A friend of mine had once a retriever who was stung by a bee, and ever afterwards, when the dog found a bee near the ground, she stamped on it, and then scraped earth over it and buried it effectually--presumably to put an end to the danger of further stings. In like manner, another dog having bitten a toad, showed every sign of having found the mouthful to the last degree unpleasant. Probably Mr. Acland-Troyte's dog had, in the same way, bitten a toad, and conceived henceforth that he rendered public service by putting every toad-like creature he saw carefully and gingerly "out of harm's way," underground.

A great number of the buryings and other odd tricks of dogs must, however, I am sure, be considered as Atavism, and traced to the instincts bequeathed by their remote progenitors when yet "wild in the woods the noble ‘beastie’ ran." Such, I believe, is generally admitted to be the explanation of the universal habit of every dog before lying down to turn round two or three times and scratch its intending bed--even when that bed is of the softest woollen or silk--apparently to ascertain that no snakes or thorns lurk in its sleeping-place.

FRANCES POWER COBBE (Submitted by)

Did you catch that? I need to quote that one more time:
                        “…and conceived henceforth that he rendered public service by putting every toad-like creature he saw carefully and gingerly "out of harm's way," underground.”

Altruism with intent in a dawg? I mean really? Mr. Cobbe is suggesting these furry, cross-bread descendants of wolves are capable of what is considered a trait that sets man above and beyond all other animals. The ability for self sacrifice is not to be taken for granted. Perhaps the good Mr. Cobbe had been partaking a bit too liberally of the absinthe? If you have ever had a dawg, you won’t argue with Mr. Cobbe. You have seen it.

And now we come to the essence of this babble of mine. Again, I must re-quote a passage:
                        “A great number of the buryings and other odd tricks of dogs must, however, I am sure, be considered as Atavism, and traced to the instincts bequeathed by their remote progenitors when yet "wild in the woods the noble ‘beastie’ ran." Such, I believe, is generally admitted to be the explanation of the universal habit of every dog before lying down to turn round two or three times and scratch its intending bed--even when that bed is of the softest woollen or silk--apparently to ascertain that no snakes or thorns lurk in its sleeping-place.”

It seems Mr. Cobbe is as learned as he is articulate. Atavism? The tendency to revert to ancestral type. It’s why you could be born with a tail. Your ancestors had them. You have one when in the womb. Hopefully, it goes away. And Scaramanga’s superfluous third nipple? Same thing. You remember him, the ‘Man with the Golden Gun’. Every once in a while, DNA short circuits, it still remembers where we came from. Like our hypothalamus and basal ganglia. Our so called lizard brain. It regulates our breathing (good thing to do, imagine having to remember to breath all day long) sleep and wake cycles, eating and drinking, hormone release, and other critical biological functions. Our lizard brain gives us the luxury of time to think. Time to listen. To evolve, as it were.

Speaking of Atavism, it is the fifth studio album released in 2005 by the American heavy metal band Slough Feg (formerly The Lord Weird Slough Feg). A vinyl edition was also produced by Forest Moon Special Products in a limited print of 500. I guess these kids had some dormant analog genes that somehow became dominant.

And so it is, that we, when we do our dance around our turntables, carefully unsheathe and clean our black disc then gently place it on the platter, deftly lower the stylus after having inspected for snakes & thorns, we too can rest. And be at peace as the Atavistic tail of analog returns to wag the dawg in us.
                        Last edited by wkhanna; 31 January 2012, 23:25 Tuesday.
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Steve Jobs Got It.

Neil Young fights for sound quality and tells of Steve Jobs preferred format.
                          Washington Post article
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Washington Post article

You'll also note that most of Neil's CD's are recorded in HDCD format and will typically include a high rez 24 bit DVD along with it!!. Neil Young is BIG into high def sound. As I've stated before though, Vinyl records are not what I would call 'High def' by any means. They're limited frequency range and dynamic range make this impossible. However, they are obviously way better than any MP3 anything!!. I have no clue why someone would ever connect an Ipod to a high quality sound system?? :roll:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                              They're limited frequency range and dynamic range make this impossible.
                              Actually, the LP has wider frequency response than CD. Signals of 50kHz can be recorded onto an LP. It really depends on the cartridge.

LP has higher dynamic range in the upper frequencies.

Vinyl records are not what I would call 'High def' by any means.
                              It's all a matter of opinion, of course. It's really depends on one's definition of high fidelity. I think the LP has some definite advantages over CD, technically and subjectively, to me. CD has some advantages as well.

Well, to each his own ... no right or wrong about it.
                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

Neil Young is BIG into high def sound.
                                That is V true these days, but while the music itself was not underachieving in any way, some of the stuff he released in the 80’s & 90’s was hardly what anyone could call ‘high quality’. Don’t get me wrong, it is great to have the ‘great’ on the soapbox demanding better for all. We all learn if we pay attention.

As I've stated before though, Vinyl records are not what I would call 'High def' by any means. They're limited frequency range and dynamic range make this impossible. However, they are obviously way better than any MP3 anything!!
                                The argument of mathematics and scientific measurement is well worn, but I listen with my ears, not an electronic meter.

I have no clue why someone would ever connect an Ipod to a high quality sound system??
                                Lossless files can be downloaded to an Ipod. It just uses up a lot more memory per song, and you still have to deal with how to address the handling of jitter/clocking, grounding and other data chain issues. But it can still deliver a ‘reasonable’ level of performance on a quality system if properly implemented.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

I don't want to open a bag of worms here, and everyone here in the forum knows my views about vinyl (and...I'm not saying it's bad!!). Being a serious music listener, I listened to vinyl for years and years on a modest system before digital audio came to be. When digital audio came to be, I couldn't believe the difference in the audio presentation!!. It has only gotten better since then and will continue to do so. Going back to vinyl is like going back to tube technology!!. Warm....YES.....Hi Def....NO!!!.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

With all due respect, Madmac, I suggest your misconception has much to do with your benchmark. Your reference to a ‘modest’ vinyl rig does not elicit images of a well adjusted and maintained source or care given physically to the media. Serious vinylphiles do not place the responsibility of accurate reproduction in the hands of a ‘newer’ technology that provides time saving convenience. Our pursuit of fine audio playback demands study and development of skill and a dedication of time required to properly adjust and maintain our vinyl rigs and albums.

To stigmatize all vinyl and tube gear as warm is an inaccurate platitude. Regarding the attributes of my system, its tube pre-amp, tube phono-pre and vinyl media produce a quality of neutrality and detail that more reflects the acoustic music I hear live at clubs and halls than their digital facsimile.

Your contributions are greatly appreciated, and nothing would please me more than having you to my home for an evening of dinner, conversation and listening to demonstrate the true capability of analog.
                                    Last edited by wkhanna; 05 February 2012, 10:38 Sunday. Reason: Changed 'Stigmatizing' to 'To stigmatize'
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• twitch54
                                      • Apr 2006

I too concur with Bill (we're probably old, I know I am !) anyways, for the record NOBODY ever said analog was 'Hi Def'. Does it posses the freq range capable of digital....no, but that dosen't mean all digital lives up to it's billing either.

Also for the record (no pun intended) if you for one minute think the early days of digital were that superior to analog then your analog system of that era was severly lacking.

Since this is the 'analog section' we are entitled to be pro-analog, I am and with that being said I'm actually pro-music, with equal oprtunity granted to digital as well.
                                      Dave

Comment

• madmac
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2010

With all due respect, Madmac, I suggest your misconception has much to do with your benchmark. Your reference to a ‘modest’ vinyl rig does not elicit images of a well adjusted and maintained source or care given physically to the media. Serious vinylphiles do not place the responsibility of accurate reproduction in the hands of a ‘newer’ technology that provides time saving convenience. Our pursuit of fine audio playback demands study and development of skill and a dedication of time required to properly adjust and maintain our vinyl rigs and albums.

To stigmatize all vinyl and tube gear as warm is an inaccurate platitude. Regarding the attributes of my system, its tube pre-amp, tube phono-pre and vinyl media produce a quality of neutrality and detail that more reflects the acoustic music I hear live at clubs and halls than their digital facsimile.

Your contributions are greatly appreciated, and nothing would please me more than having you to my home for an evening of dinner, conversation and listening to demonstrate the true capability of analog.

That is very well said and, my history with records was on a very modest system to say the least. I remember going into a high end audio shop with a friend that wanted to buy some good gear (Before digital) and I was blown away by what I heard at the time. It sounded like the band was 'live' and in the room!!. Perhaps I will walk away from the vinyl debate because at this point, I probably do not have an adequate knowledge of how good vinyl can sound nowaydays. :lol:

Comment

• madmac
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by twitch54
                                          I too concur with Bill (we're probably old, I know I am !) anyways, for the record NOBODY ever said analog was 'Hi Def'. Does it posses the freq range capable of digital....no, but that dosen't mean all digital lives up to it's billing either.

Also for the record (no pun intended) if you for one minute think the early days of digital were that superior to analog then your analog system of that era was severly lacking.

Since this is the 'analog section' we are entitled to be pro-analog, I am and with that being said I'm actually pro-music, with equal oprtunity granted to digital as well.
                                          Once again well said!. Some of the early CD's were just horrible. I remember getting Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours' on CD expecting to be blown away and it was substantially worse than my vinyl record (SUBSTANTIALLY!!). However, some knocked my socks off like Supertramp's "Breakfast in America" which utterly blew the record away sonically.

I do understand that this is the 'Analog' part of the forum and I also understand as well that analog can sound damn good too. Some people here on the forum probably have some VERY substantial analog gear that produces excellent sonic results. I guess all I can say is that digital at the time brought a 'higher' def to the modest systems of the generation. I'm pretty sure my digital setup is very modest compared to some of the analog gear floating around in this forum. :W

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

........... I probably do not have an adequate knowledge of how good vinyl can sound nowaydays. :lol:
                                            It is not a recent development.
                                            Vinyl has always sounded good. :lol:

Perhaps I will walk away from the vinyl debate........
                                            Instead, maybe you could seek out some vinyl rigs that are near you to audition? After some time listening to a few different set-ups, you could develop a sense for the unique character of analog sound quality. Then we can continue our discussion. :T
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

Best Use Yet for SeeDee?

Finally, SeeDee put to a task it is actually capable of. :W
                                              link
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Profligating Pedigree, Parsimonious Mongrels & Particularly Profound Performance

Some people here on the forum probably have some VERY substantial analog gear that produces excellent sonic results. I guess all I can say is that digital at the time brought a 'higher' def to the modest systems of the generation. I'm pretty sure my digital setup is very modest compared to some of the analog gear floating around in this forum. :W
                                                In the Hot Rod world there is a saying, “Speed cost money, How fast do you want to go?”

The same can be said for audio gear, I suppose. To take the correlation one step further, a $20k Toyota would be embarrassed by an $80k Porsche. But while certainly not in the same league, that same Porsche would keep respectable pace with a $240k Ferrari. It’s the same with audio gear. Once you hit the mid level, comparatively minimal increases in performance become more and more expensive. The ratio of return relative to performance per dollar spent becomes less and less productive.

Next up. Say you have a $700 SeeDee player or DAC. Then some old fart like me says, “My LP’s sound better than your SeeDee’s”. Well hey, how is a $700 digitzer supposed to compete with that big $ vinyl rig?

Wrong!

Let’s look at a good (IMHO) entry level vinyl package.
                                                I’ll do the math for you:

Rega RP-1 Turntable - $445
                                                Cambridge Audio - 640P Outboard Audiophile MM/MC Phono Stage - $179

Grand Total - $624

Throw in $20 for stylus force gauge, $25 carbon fiber brush for record cleaning and you have a few bucks left to buy a record or two or three.

My point is you don’t need a first litter, aka registered, pure-bred to get a V good quality sound from vinyl. Rescue that bright-eyed, loyal mutt. Give him a good home and little love. And he will more than hold forth against digital gear in the same price range.
                                                Last edited by wkhanna; 23 February 2012, 23:30 Thursday.
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2010

In the Hot Rod world there is a saying, “Speed cost money, How fast do you want to go?”

The same can be said for audio gear, I suppose. To take the correlation one step further, a $20k Toyota would be embarrassed by an $80k Porsche. But while certainly not in the same league, that same Porsche would keep respectable pace with a $240k Ferrari. It’s the same with audio gear. Once you hit the mid level, comparatively minimal increases in performance become more and more expensive. The ratio of return relative to performance per dollar spent becomes less and less productive.

Next up. Say you have a $700 SeeDee player or DAC. Then some old fart like me says, “My LP’s sound better than your SeeDee’s”. Well hey, how is a $700 digitzer supposed to compete with that big $ vinyl rig?

Wrong!

Let’s look at a good (IMHO) entry level vinyl package.
                                                  I’ll do the math for you:

Rega RP-1 Turntable - $445
                                                  Cambridge Audio - 640P Outboard Audiophile MM/MC Phono Stage - $179

Grand Total - $624

Throw in $20 for stylus force gauge, $25 carbon fiber brush for record cleaning and you have a few bucks left to buy a record or two or three.

My point is you don’t need a first litter, aka registered, pure-bred to get a V good quality sound from vinyl. Rescue that bright-eyed, loyal mutt. Give him a good home and little love. And he will more than hold forth against digital gear in the same price range.
                                                  Well said and probably true. I guess I would have to hear some decent vinyl gear to be convinced of this. I still believe that good digital gear is better if not only for the specs. I believe specs give a good, unbiased idea of what you are hearing in terms of sound quality. If I listened to the same album both in digital format and then on good vinyl gear and liked the vinyl better, that would change my views on this of course. That dream will probably never happen however sadly :cry:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Madmac
                                                    I still believe that good digital gear is better if not only for the specs. I believe specs give a good, unbiased idea of what you are hearing in terms of sound quality.
                                                    “…sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” :W

(Quote by the White Queen from the Lewis Carroll's book, "Through the Looking-Glass", AKA - Alice in Wonderland)
                                                    Last edited by wkhanna; 28 March 2012, 16:42 Wednesday. Reason: Added 'quote' from previous post
                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      • Jan 2006

glorious insults

These glorious insults are from an era when cleverness with words was still valued, unlike today as the vast majority of the English language has been distilled down to 4-letter words & waving of middle fingers. :F

The exchange between Winston Churchill and Lady Astor: She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison," and he said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease." "That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "on whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about." - Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know." - Abraham Lincoln

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator."- John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure." Jack E. Leonard

"He has the attention span of a lightning bolt." - Robert Redford

"They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge." - Thomas Brackett Reed

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

And Last But Not Least.............

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder
                                                      Last edited by wkhanna; 28 March 2012, 07:37 Wednesday.
                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Nice. I like the one about the girl being a flirt, and of course, Groucho Marx. He's had some awesome lines over the years. Different topic, but my favorite Marx quote is:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2007

I believe specs give a good, unbiased idea of what you are hearing in terms of sound quality.
                                                          The problem with this is that the specs are not comparable to two systems which are trying to achieve the same outcome. To continue Bill's car analogy, it'd be like having a race between two cars, but rather than look at the outcome of the race you're deciding the winner based on what's under the hood.

Nice discussion. Funny quotes Bill. Allow me to toss in one from my small collection which seems appropriate:

"The word LISTEN contains the same letters as the word SILENT."
                                                          -Alfred Brendel
                                                          -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454
                                                            The problem with this is that the specs are not comparable to two systems which are trying to achieve the same outcome. To continue Bill's car analogy, it'd be like having a race between two cars, but rather than look at the outcome of the race you're deciding the winner based on what's under the hood.

Nice discussion. Funny quotes Bill. Allow me to toss in one from my small collection which seems appropriate:

"The word LISTEN contains the same letters as the word SILENT."
                                                            -Alfred Brendel

Specs don't lie........statistics do !! :T

Comment

• btf1980
                                                              • Aug 2007

I guess I would have to hear some decent vinyl gear to be convinced of this. I still believe that good digital gear is better if not only for the specs. I believe specs give a good, unbiased idea of what you are hearing in terms of sound quality.
                                                              I don't agree with this. Specs don't tell the entire story, and I think it's dangerous to base everything on measurements. There are a lot of variables, like how the gear mates with the room, system matching and synergy etc. Not accounting for matters of taste, but some gear rates well, but leave a lot to be desired in terms of sound. B&W speakers aren't the most efficient speakers. They don't rate that well. A look at their specs and measurements tell a different story to how they actually sound. When you get into tube amplifier territory, it's the same deal. A no frills solid state amp will probably measure better (in whatever barometer you feel like using) - however, those that know the magic of tubes will tell you a different story, and if you've heard a good tube system, you wouldn't need to be told this. You'd already know.

With respect to good vinyl, I have one recommendation. Music Matters. The fidelity on the records will trump any digital you toss at it. I have changed the opinions of even the most ardent digital guys. Even they conceded that it was superlative. I'm no vinyl purist either btw. I have an extensive digital collection. 8)
                                                              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Spec's lie all the time, especially when it comes to audio. Everyone has a different way of measuring watts, distortion, and S/N ratio. Some do it in an honest sort of way that is realistic, some do it so the numbers look good but aren't all that honest.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2007

Correct, specs don't lie, but you're not comparing specs. You're using specs to compare sound quality, which is not a measurable number. It's akin to tasting food. There's no measure you can really use to compare. Sure a $80 steak cooked medium rare will probably taste good to most people, but to some it will be gross. You can't say "well the steak is a 175 on the taste meter, so that proves that it tastes good.
                                                                  -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Bose and Monster Cables would disagree with where you guys are going with this....

Wait that's not specs, that's called Marketing!

LMAO.
                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                      • Jan 2006

A primmer: Specs 101

For our newcomer's benifit, of course.

link
                                                                      Last edited by wkhanna; 31 March 2012, 11:24 Saturday. Reason: corrected punctuation
                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454
                                                                        Correct, specs don't lie, but you're not comparing specs. You're using specs to compare sound quality, which is not a measurable number. It's akin to tasting food. There's no measure you can really use to compare. Sure a $80 steak cooked medium rare will probably taste good to most people, but to some it will be gross. You can't say "well the steak is a 175 on the taste meter, so that proves that it tastes good.
                                                                        An 80 buck steak cooked medium rare is perfect. I'd spec that baby at at least 200db's !!! :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15293

Interesting discussions, guys...

Feel like I just stepped into an alternate universe- like "Fringe"...

Keep up the good work, as I will in my little universe of mixed signal digital and analog... :W

~Jon
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 5673

It is beyond flattering to see that such a high ranking agent of the Dark One is monitoring our discussion, especially knowing the extreme work-load put upon him by his Master. ;x(

Double our efforts we shall, to insure pleased you both remain . :W
                                                                            Last edited by wkhanna; 30 March 2012, 21:28 Friday.
                                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 5673

#39
                                                                              In memory of my best friend who waged the mother of all wars on cancer for 8 years and next to my own father, is the benchmark of everything I do in life, who passed Sunday.

Rod was truly a modern day Renaissance Man. An earlier victory over tongue cancer diverted him from the profession of classical trumpet player. As a luthier, his creations have been appreciated and played by the best artists of our time, including Yo Yo Ma. As a man, he was able to elicit the ultimate potential in each person he came in contact with. When you were with Rod, you were always the best you could ever be. As a friend, he was the most valuable human asset a person could have. He introduced me to the joy of music and the passion for its perfect reproduction. More importantly, he showed everyone he met the passion we should all have for life. There are no ordinary moments.

From Towndock.net - The cover Photos on the 10 April 2012 edition.

Kip and Rod Nicholas at last July’s Croakerfest. Rod Nicholas passed away Sunday after a long battle with cancer. He was 62. For the past decade, the Nicholases hosted Sunday afternoon croquet games on their front lawn; in Rod’s honor, a croquet flag has been flying at half-staff.

Name:	RodKip.webp
Views:	100
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	939923

On the lawn of Rod and Kip Nicholas’ home near the Lou Mac Pier, a croquet flag was flying at half-staff Monday. For years, the Nicholas’s hosted Sunday afternoon croquet games on that lawn. This past Sunday, Rod Nicholas died after several years of fighting cancer. The Canadian-born violin maker had owned a violin studio in Pittsburgh before moving to Oriental.

Name:	rod.webp
Views:	98
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	939924
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 18:49 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                Very sad, Bill. I can very much appreciate your relationship with him, and your description of the type of person he was.
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 5673

#41
                                                                                  Washington Post article
                                                                                  This guy just won't give it up.
                                                                                  Something interestng is cooking.
                                                                                  article from audiostream.com
                                                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Nov 2004
                                                                                    • 2901

#42
                                                                                    Huh... sounds good to me! Sort of like expanding the B&W Society of Sound and giving a cool portable player and streaming in hi-res... I'm all for it as long as they master well also!
                                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 5673

#43
                                                                                      The Sound of Dead Men, your Legacy in 1’s & Zero’s, & are there Heavens in Dawg?

Maybe it is me. Maybe I am just lucky. After loosing three friends in four years, how can I call myself lucky? Easy. Consider the current status of my three missing friends. Perpendicular and breathing is my definition of the perfect day.

My first friend to pass was an acquaintance met via the internet when I was selling an amp on one of ‘those’ sites. We did not have an intimate friendship. It was based more on respect. He was touched by my honesty and understanding. I was touched and a bit confused by his admiration. He only seemed to see the best in me. We did not talk often, but never lost touch. Plain & simple acknowledgments just to make sure the other knew they were not forgotten. He was terminally ill when we first began communications. He always insisted I should have his system when he passed. I respectfully declined.

Then there is Bob. Bob passed in early 2009. He was member here and contributed almost daily. Turned out, he lived less than an hour North of my home in Pittsburgh. Bob loved music. And like us, he loved sharing his passion. Bob was the kind of guy who never did anything half-assed. I spent some great days with Bob at his place. Dan (PewterTA) joined us at least once that I remember.

When Bob got his RB-1090, I bought his newly factory-refurbished RB-990. When Bob was battling cancer, he fought it using willpower. Seriously. He studied the seudo science of mind over matter the only way he knew how to do anything. With total dedication. He survived far longer than any chance given him by the traditional Western medical community. Eventually even Bob ran out of either will or power. His condition deteriorated V quickly, unbeknownst to me. I found out about his passing in an odd manner. An add I answered on Audiogon for an RB-1090 being offered locally turned out to have been listed by Bob’s brother. It was his posthumous amp. It, along with the RB-990, has resided in my main system since.

Just recently, I lost my dearest and V best friend. Rod’s accomplishments are only surpassed by his knowledge. One of his many vocations was luthier. His creations are played by the best artists in the world today; including Yo-Yo Ma. He was truly a modern Renaissance Man. In my 54 years I have never met an individual who possessed a greater passion for life, knowledge, music or friends. To have Rod as friend was to have the greatest human asset possible.

Years ago, Rod gave me his old Carver C-19 pre-amp. It has since been heavily modified by the capable talents of Tom & Anders at Pittsburgh Vintage Hi-Fi along with technical input from Bob Carver, who has selected PVHF as an exclusive dealer for his new line of tube amps.

So what is the point of this entire somewhat fatalistic ramble……..?
                                                                                      Well……maybe to warn you of the possible consequences should you offer me any of your audio equipment.

Not quite, but why risk the chance?

No……..the point is my friends are still with me every time my music plays. They live in the air of my home, in the brassy ‘blat’ of Miles’ trumpet, the black background of Melody Gardots’ supple vocal inflections, the transient impact of Mahler’s symphonies. Every day I hear the sound of dead men. And I thank them, every day.

But where are they, really? And where will we be?
                                                                                      Is there afterlife in the ‘Cloud’?
                                                                                      Think about all the stuff of you that lingers on this ‘information highway’. It is all still there after we are gone. Our legacy is left for anyone with access to this data base that is expanding exponentially by the hour.
                                                                                      All it takes is one good 15 second U-tube video, or a blog or post on a forum to go viral, and next thing you know, you are on the first page of a Google search. It is so easy to be famous that now fame has no credit or worth. With the twenty-four second news cycle that now is the norm, the term 'notoriety' can not exist simply because it has too many syllables.

There are actually companies that will erase you from the web after you take the next step. Err.......the Last step. And lawyers that consider your contribution to this mass of ‘data’ (I hesitate to call it information) part of your estate!

When I pass, do me a kind favor please……..
                                                                                      Have drink, spin a tune, do something good for a stranger, and stay in touch with your friends.

On a side note, I took my dawg, Not Cho Dawg, with me to N Carolina where I delivered the eulogy at Rod’s memorial service. Afterwards, when the majority of his ashes were cast into the Atlantic from the pier at the water’s edge of his property, still visible as a light patch creeping & ever-expanding over the surface of the Intracoastal Waterway, we drank his finest scotch, smoked his best cigars & played croquet on his Oak shaded lawn whilst his stereo looped through a playlist comprising some of his favorite compositions & provided an ethereal ambiance thru the open windows of his home. I derived great comfort from the companionship provided by NotCho Dawg while there. All the while it seemed as though my sadness was tangible to him. Granted that human nature might allow me the luxury of feeling as though he understood and made purposeful intent to comfort me. I was reminded of when I was a child hearing it said that there was a Heaven for Dawgs. What ever the truth is for this cosmos, all I know is that he is a piece of heaven to me.
                                                                                      Last edited by wkhanna; 23 June 2012, 12:02 Saturday. Reason: Editing & Grammar
                                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

#44
                                                                                        Wow, Bill.

My respect to your friends.

And... I guess you can't have any of my gear. You'll just have to come up to Alaska and listen to it all when I'm gone.
                                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                                          • 2649

#45
                                                                                          Yes Bill, I understand your predicament well.

Four years ago on July 8 I lost my dearest friend aged 54. We met at Cubs when we were 8 years old. We went to primary school, high school and university together. We travelled through South East Asia and Nepal together. When I was drained from illness travelling from Java to Sumatra he carried me off the ferry in his arms and took me to hospital. We flatted together in London. Later in 1990 back in New Zealand he was my best man. He babysat my children and later took them to events that I couldn't stand. He died from esophageal cancer after a 14 month battle. It's a horrible way to die, and I lived the nightmare with him every day of those 14 months, though my suffering was nothing compared to his. His bravery astounded me. Will I die as bravely as him? Being a cancer surviver myself I knew from the first day of his diagnosis how bad his situation was. Everyone with cancer has a 5-year survival percentage but few people bother looking it up. His was 14%. Mine was 85%. Most people thought he would be OK, but I knew otherwise. His death has cast a shadow over my life, a shadow that I will never erase. These are the events that shape our lives.

Anyway, enough of this grimness. Your post got me going! Life is good and our shared hobby makes it even better.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"