X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blues
    • Feb 2011

Phono Preamps

Is anyone familiar with Mark Voigt and his Magi phono preamps? I've seen some old threads on other audio forums, but no concrete listener feedback.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Have tried quite a few phono preamps but never heard that one.. Sorry

Comment

• Blues
      • Feb 2011

Would you happen to have any recommendations for good unit under 600 bucks?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Moving magnet or moving coil ?

Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 (MM only)
        The world's largest online retailer of high-end audio, audiophile music, and accessories. We specialize in vinyl records and turntables.

Graham Slee Gram Amp 3 (MC only)
        The world's largest online retailer of high-end audio, audiophile music, and accessories. We specialize in vinyl records and turntables.

Musical Fidelity V-LPS MKII

Pro-Ject Phono Box SEII

Pro-Ject Tube Box II

Comment

• Blues
          • Feb 2011

Thanks Glen! I'm currently using MM, but I suppose a preamp that can be adjusted for both would be ideal. I'd also really like to get something that utilizes tubes. I will check out some of your suggestions and below are some that I've been considering along with the Pro-Ject units. Haven't been able to find a whole lot regarding user's listening experience on the Pro-Ject stuff though.

YS Audio Concerto:

Jolida D9:

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

In the October issue of Stereophile there is a review of the Lejonklu phono preamps. In fact two versions are tested and the verdict was the best mm phono amp he ever heard - or one off (cannot recall 100%).
            They are pretty cheap. Alternatively Musical Fidelity have just launched a very interesting model with a lot of possibility to adjust settings - and I also believe the price was well below $ 1000. It is the M1 vinyl. Haven't seen any official test yet, but people are giving it glowing reviews online.
            My own favorite it the Heed Quasar, but as that is more geared toward MC usage and I use only MC myself, then I cannot guarantee MM performance. But it is well capable of beating allmost everything else I have heard even at many times it's cost.
            In the end however it is more about system matching than finding the best individual component. So my best advise is to get as many different models as possible and hear them in your own setup. Then when you find one you like then try to see if there is any advices against it with your next pickup upgrade. Getting a phono preamp you cannot grow with is a very bad idea. Especially since vinyl is really a great place for a lot of upgrades that tend to sneak in very fast..
            But best of luck with it..

Comment

• Blues
              • Feb 2011

Thanks aarsoe! I'll give those a look as well.

Comment

• Blues
                • Feb 2011

I think we may have a winner folks! Any thoughts?

Grant Fidelity P-307:

Specifications:

•Output Voltage to Power Amp:
                •Dual outputs of either .25V or .7V
                •Distortion: <0.2%
                •Input Voltage: CD/DVD: <.25V
                •Frequency Response: 15Hz-100kHz (-2B)
                •Signal To Noise Ratio:
                •CD/DVD-Less Than 75dB(A)1kHz
                •RIAA: Less Than 65dB(A)1kHz(@10mV input)

Features:

•Heavy-Duty All- Metal Chassis and Faceplate. You can use this with your turntable and CD/DVD player.
                •Stereo RIAA Phono inputs (2.5-5mV sensitivity) on front panel, CD/DVD Stereo Inputs on rear panel, Dual Stereo Outputs-either .7V or .25V.
                •Controls include: Stereo Volume, Input Switches for CD/DVD and Phono, on-off power switch.
                •Vacuum Tube Compliment: 2 x 12AU7 and 2 x 12AX7
                •DC on Tube Filaments for ultra-low noise.
                •Removable RF interference tube covers.
                •12 lbs net weight

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"