X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'm in the same boat, that I'll be needing something later this year. A Parasound unit would be great, but no guarantees when it might be here and how much it might cost. It may be in the exotic range. the new Denon stuff looks nice!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Prozakk
      • Jul 2004

I just got increa$ed allowable $$$ to $pend on a DVD player...I'm getting a 3910...YE$!!!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

:banana:
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Aaah.. the wife loosened the leash for a minute eh :lol: :T

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Cowanrg
            • Feb 2004

i just ordered mine from denon last week. should be here next week.

it will show up the same time my sony 34" widescreen tube shows up too. and my audioquest HDMI-3 is on order too (yep, they make it in a 3 already). that should set my video straight.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
              Aaah.. the wife loosened the leash for a minute eh :lol: :T

Jason
              Hehe, isn't the Internet great!?!?!? The SO loosens up for 2 minutes and in that amount of time, you race to the laptop, bring up the browser, hit the bookmark and order the latest/greatest thingy. All before she/he comes to realize what they just said. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Well, Denon's website is updated now, and doesn't even have the 5900 on there anymore. The 3910, 2910, and others are there now. Go check out the 5805 digital receiver while you're their. It's the biggest one I've ever seen!
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yeah Chris, that thing is HUGE. I just wonder why at that price point and desired level of performance, they didn't go with two-chassis configuration, ala pre/pro and amp? It may be the best receiver ever (it may not, either) but it certainly could have been a heck of a "system". I guess time will tell.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

My guess would be that they wanted specifically to stay with "receivers", and not go to separates, for the selling point. I think some people prefer a consolidated receiver, for it being simple, packaged all-in-one, that separates are too "exotic", or whatever. I don't know. I think that yes, this would be better as separates, especially at this point where it's grown to this size with all these I/O's. If nothing else, separating the power supply paths more from the processing and the amplification should give a better sound.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brian
                      • May 2004

If you check out their advertisement in S&V, I think it says it all about the 5805. They simply wanted to be an innovator, even if it isn't practical.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Brian
                        If you check out their advertisement in S&V, I think it says it all about the 5805. They simply wanted to be an innovator, even if it isn't practical.
                        But that would mean I'd have to actually buy and read S&V which would just hurt :rofl:

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• Steve Goff
                          • Feb 2002

Denon is coming out woth very high priced separates, probably some time next year. I now have the DVD 3910, and it is a pretty good universal player.
                          Steve Goff

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

That's funny, jason.

Steve, that's cool that you have the 3910. Have you posted a review on it? If so, I've missed it. Tell us about it!
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Steve Goff
                              • Feb 2002

I haven't had time to play with it that much, but SACD and DVD-A sound quite good through it, and the 720p scaling over DVI is also quite good, and may match the quality of my RP82 via SDI to my Holo3D card, which uses essentially the same Faroudja chip for deinterlacing and scaling and a FPGA for white and black level setting and LUT manipulation. The 3910 provides full bass managment, speaker distance, and level setting for DVD-A, and for SACD if you so choose (by converting DSD to PCM). I've compared direct SACD to that converted to PCM, and haven't been able to tell the difference. The bass managment and speaker distance settings are such a plus that I leave it in that mode for SACD and DVD-A. And since it has both IEEE 1394 and multichannel HDMI, I'll be able to do a direct digital connection to my pre/pro for hi-def audio when I get one with such an input.

I was going to spring for one of the really expensive multi-format players, but decided to wait for BluRay or HD DVD, whichever format wins (most likely BluRay). Sony's support for SACD may be somewhat shakey these days, what with the money and support it is pouring into BluRay and the lacklustre sales for SACD. Either one of these Hi-def disk formats could become the true hi-resolution audio winner that neither DVD-A or SACD has been, with video and PCM 7.1-channel music stored without compression or with lossless compression.
                              Steve Goff

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Good stuff, Steve. Since you're fairly close to me geographically, can I ask where you got it from? Local shop? Get a good deal? This is one player on my short list right now.

(and hey, let me know if you get tired of it and want to move on to something else)
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                  • Feb 2002

I just bought it from Magnolia on Rosevelt in Seattle. I have several friend in the business who will often give me deals on stuff, and sometimes purchase some of my stuff this way, but this time I just bought it, since they had a sale on it for some reason, seemingly because it was its first day in the store.
                                  Steve Goff

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Strange... I was just at Magnolia on Wednesday, and they had the unit there. It surprised me to see it that soon. They were asking retail price, though, $1299. This was the Magnolia Hi-Fi by the Tacoma mall.

Tell you what... I'll take this off-line in the future so we can focus on Denon talk.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• TheBottom
                                      • Sep 2004

I'm very impressed with the Denon 2900 I have in Store!!!

Certainly good for the money :T

Comment

• soundhound
                                        • Mar 2004

dvd-1910

Finally got my 1910 about a week ago, took forever to get them in the ultimateelectronics stores in the midwest. The digital audio out still passes signal w/ the dvi-d output. Paid $249 and so far is a heck of a buy for the $$$$. My first and only high-def source for our new HD monitor. 2 channel analog udio is identacle to that of my old dvd-900. Only gripe is the cable from dvd to monitor was $129, and the player only $249....................Cable was dvd-i to hdmi.

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

For those who haven't seen it yet, this is the new Denon 5805 digital receiver coming out in a few months:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• soundhound
                                            • Mar 2004

re: Denon 5805

Howdy Chris, so where do you retrieve the pizza when the timer goes off?

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Cowanrg
                                                • Feb 2004

i just got my 3910 last night, and WOW, its awesome. the PQ is phenomenal. its the best ive seen. i havent done audio yet, but i have a feeling its going to be good. for now, its worth it. ill keep everyone informed about the break-in period too.

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                  • Jul 2004

Well...

I got a Zenith DVB-318 instead. Why? I have no interest in more than 2 channel music. Also, it freed up funds for new toys. Microfiber sleeper/dual recliner sectional. Also, in route is a SVS PB12-Ultra/2 subwoofer! :T

Other upgrades to follow soon:
                                                  3- Axiom M60Ti
                                                  4- Axiom M22Ti
                                                  Sony ES dvd changer (for cds only)
                                                  Sony ES 5+1 CDR
                                                  2 Dedicated 20 amp circuits
                                                  Canare Tools to build Canare cables
                                                  DIY Flexi-rack
                                                  Tripp-Lite power protection
                                                  Inclosing the quite open HT room

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                    For those who haven't seen it yet, this is the new Denon 5805 digital receiver coming out in a few months:

I'd like to have that...but only as a pre-amp. :E
                                                    Last edited by Chris D; 01 January 2013, 00:21 Tuesday.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jerry
                                                      I'd like to have that...but only as a pre-amp. :E
                                                      Can you imagine the heat factor from 10 Halo JC-1 monoblocks???? :B

"Hello, Houston Lighting & Power? I need a kilowatt line installed to my house. Thank you." 8O

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                        • Jul 2004

1KW... :E Problem though. I think the most a residential service that can be provided is 250 amp supply in Texas. Better make your home a "business". Can you say no purchasing taxes???

I'd be fine using my 2 amps:

Harman Kardon Signature 1.5 & 2.1. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

How did we get back to Parasound Halos? (not that I'm complaining) Why yes, the power, sheer size, electric bill, and heat from 10 JC-1's would be overwhelming. As it is, my A51 puts out quite enough heat.

You know, I was going to do this anyway, let me calculate all the amp wattage in my theater right now:
                                                          5 x 250w Parasound A51 Halo amp
                                                          2 x 250w Parasound A21 Halo amp
                                                          6 x 250w Audio Source 5.3 amps driving my Clark Synthesis seating tactile transducers
                                                          2 x 120w Kenwood receiver driving all-home audio distribution system using zone outputs
                                                          2 x 525w amps in dual SVS PC-Ultra subwoofers

Grand Total: 4,540 Watts of amplifier power. Wow, I didn't realize I had that much until just now. Good thing I've got all those dedicated 20 amp circuits in addition to everything else in the theater!
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
                                                            How did we get back to Parasound Halos?
                                                            Oh you know. Some wannabe Halo owner just jumped in.

Comment

• brendon
                                                              • Aug 2004

Lucky your a C17 pilot Chris you would never be able to shift those amps between postings in a F15!
                                                              Brendon

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"