X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

Power Conditioners

Do you guys believe a power conditioner is necessary? What do you use?

Tom
    Tom
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, I believe, I just don't own. PS Audio are well regarded. I've actually had my eye out to add a line to my own products, but as yet, that hasn't happened. Someday... As well, to my own system, likely at that point.

I use a Panamax 1000, but little conditioning going on there, mostly just glorified surge suppression.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yep, I'm a believer and an owner. I have a VansEvers Model 100/14. It's the bottom one shown in the photo - the 14-outlet full-width chassis one.

I called Mike up to discuss options for a conditioner that had more than 8 outlets, and he told me about the Model 100. For some reason, it isn't shown in the table of models. It fit my needs exactly. Plus, he configured the outlets to my request. Build quality is quite good, and the unit has a detachable power cord. One nice little feature is a warning light that comes on if the unit has taken a surge and needs your attention. One other benefit (to me) was in dealing direct with the owner - especially one as pleasant and knowledgeable as Mike. You want customer service? You get it with him.

The desirability of surge suppression is pretty universally accepted, but there are a couple of "camps" on the need/benefits of power conditioning. Some feel that there is no benefit - they can't see it or hear it. Some feel that there is and may have seen or heard it to some degree. I bought my unit without having tested the premise. I felt that the benefits of a good suppressor was necessary for my system and if it had conditioning characteristics, so much the better. It turned out that I definitely saw a difference in my picture quality - I had to recalibrate my TV with my Video Essentials DVD. The colors were "cleaner", a bit more vibrant and had better definition. The sound portion was more ambiguous but I perceived a change for the better in clarity and a reduced sound floor. I'm willing to listen to arguments about the placebo effect and such. These could be right, but as I cycle the Model 100 in/out of my system, I hear differences. YMMV.

I recommend a conditioner/protector for your system. I hope that if/when you take the step, you are as satisfied as I am. Good luck in your search and let us know what develops.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• sattothestars
        • Jan 2003

Power conditioning does work and varies in performance according to model and brand.I am not a big fan of PS Audio. .There has been some complaints as to it doing damage to some components,primarily tube gear.There are some very good pieces available that do not cost an arm and a leg.You can find them used on the net or even new that are discounted.The Blue Circle Music Ring is probably the best bang for the buck with plenty of outlets.Another is the Richard Gray,Furman 1500 and even some of the higher end Panamax.The Vansevers is also excellent.Look into his model 85 reference.

JLF sattothestars
        JLF sattothestars

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

I am a new Panamax 5100 owner. I posted the same thead here some time ago and was convinced that having one is a good investment. Sometimes we want to believe there are differences with these gears we buy - allowing our ears and eyes to play trickson us. Definately no tricks here. There was a difference in the sound and picture. I took the panamax out and then in again a couple of times to prove it works and it does. There was for the longest while static noice coming through my speakers...now gone, no matter how high I turn the volume up (Without any source material).

That's just the conditioning side, of course the surge and power up protection goes without saying.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"