X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

Various AV processors

There are a quite a few new AV processors out there we don't get to see or hear much about, and I was wondering if anyone here has anything to say about them. Here are a few:

1. Fosgate Audionics FAP-T1
    2. Cary Audio Cinema P-7 or P-8
    3. Bel Canto PrePro or Pre6 (analog multichannel preamp)
    4. Sim Audio Moon Attraction or Stargate
    5. ATI ATP8500 or ATP7500
    6. Arcam AV8
    7. McCormack MAP-1 (analog multichannel preamp)

I don't recall any reviews at audioreview.com on any of these. They are not household names, but all are well known in audio circles, and should produce good to superior products. I have seen reviews of the Arcam and the McCormack, but would like to hear more. Anyone?

dsmith
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

I have been known to answer my own questions, so here I go. I found this enlightening discussion re the Fosgate FAP-T1 on another forum (shhh).

dsmith

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Don,

Component-wise, these units are several laps ahead of where I am right now on the processor food chain (Yamaha RX-V1 receiver), so I can't really comment with any authority on them. I am very interested in others' comments about them, though. . . .

I can dream can't I?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

I'm lazy...care to put up links to them all?

Here's a link to the Fosgate FAP-T1: http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FAP_T1.asp

I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's ugly. But I am interested in seeing/reading about the others. How about a list with the prices too?

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• dsmith
          • Jan 2003

Silli, I understand the FAPT-1 will list for $2,995. I agree it is homely as Aunt Gertie, but apparently it was designed to be hidden away in a custom cabinet and not displayed in an open rack to admire. Hopefully some reviews will be forthcoming anon.

dsmith

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

I agree it is homely as Aunt Gertie
            LOL! :LOL:

I guarantee someone will post saying they like it a lot. If the reviews are good I promise not to make fun of that person's asthetic taste. :twisted:

Really, I promise.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

They like it a lot.

Sorry Sili, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, what utility would there be in showing an image of what is displaying on your TV in the middle of the face of the processor? Seems pretty "bell and whistle" to me.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

David I think the general concensus with the LCD displays is that they'll be handy in situations where the processor is located out of sight of the main display so you can cue up movies etc. It will also be handy for menu's etc instead of having to turn on the OSD all the time.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by dsmith
                  but apparently it was designed to be hidden away in a custom cabinet and not displayed in an open rack to admire
                  Originally posted by David Meek
                  what utility would there be in showing an image of what is displaying on your TV in the middle of the face of the processor?
                  Although it might seem to be just a bell/whistle, if the pre/pro is in a remote closet somewhere and you happen to be there to make adjustments to the control settings, it might be nice to see what effect that might have on the displayed program material before returning to your easy chair.

For that matter, if the built-in display shows the “on screen display” (OSD) output, and can be selected as the exclusive place to view it, that would be very convenient if the pre/pro were in the main room in view of the easy chair – to view the OSD showing what the unit is doing at the unit itself (what a concept), instead of cluttering up the main viewing screen or requiring that another one be turned on at all in the case of music listening.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

Seriously though, what utility would there be in showing an image of what is displaying on your TV in the middle of the face of the processor? Seems pretty "bell and whistle" to me.
                    I'm with David on this.
                    LCD screens are becoming a trend in this price category. I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority of pre/pro owners in the $3k to $6k price range do not have their equipment "out of sight" in a closet or whatever.

Additionally, the frequency of us actually making adjustments standing in front of the component (the only position where the little screen would be readable) is directly equal to how often we loose the remote between the couch cushion.

In other words, the LCD is there for bragging rights and to attempt to justify the price of these units.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
                      make adjustments to the control settings, it might be nice to see what effect that might have on the displayed program material before returning to your easy chair.
                      Originally posted by Pr@
                      It will also be handy for menu's etc instead of having to turn on the OSD all the time.

Sorry y'all. I guess I still don't get this. :banghead: What control settings? As much time as I we spend tweaking our displays to get the nth degree of perfection out of them, I'm not going to try and adjust from a 2" LCD. Also, if it's hidden away, the OSD will be on anyway, and if it's in the HT area, the OSD (and consequently, the LCD) will be off to minimize distractions and light bleed, right?

Dubious in Houston. . . . :??

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

David,

The "control settings" in question are the set-up screens for the pre/pro. With the built-in LCD you can simply view the set-up screens there instead of relying upon your main disply.

My post above your last post explains why I think that's still silly. Cool, but silly. And I'm the SiliGoose so I know what I'm talking about. :P

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                          Sorry y'all. I guess I still don't get this.
                          Sure could have fooled me. :>)

David -- Although one possible use of the on-board display might be to verify that the DVD program is playing instead of, say the satellite dish broadcast, by control settings I'm NOT talking about adjusting the video display parameters and checking the visual results out on the tiny display. I'm talking about the kinds of things you see on an OSD (on screen display) which are text (words) describing a whole bunch of stuff relating to what has been selected -- typically menu selections and various parameter choices.

Burke

PS -- Sili has it right, even if he says it's, well, "silly". :>)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

A few years ago, only cars like Mercedes had keyless entry systems and buyers of Hondas and Camrys said "why do you need that when you can just stick the key in the hole in the door?" Then a few years later, even Hondas and Camrys started having keyless entry systems. I'll bet you might even find them on Chevy trucks. :>) Last time I went car shopping a few years ago, Mercedes had a feature on their keyless entry system that lowered the windows from afar. My Honda that I bought at the time didn't offer that and I wondered whether it would gravitate to the plebian cars like I was buying -- but now the latest Honda Accord does have it.

A few years ago. a $20K pre/pro was introduced with an onboard display and it was considered cool but an expensive luxury no one would ever see on reasonably priced gear. Now it is showing up on lower priced, but still higher echelon gear. I don't need it, which is good, since my pre/pro is lacking the "feature", :>) but then I can almost touch my equipment rack from my easy chair. :>) Nevertheless, I can still recognize uses others might have for it. Now whether having that additional circuitry on board might muddy the quality of, say, the sound signals passing through the unit is an unanswered question. Whether the feature is cost justified in light of its convenience and/or actual usefulness is another question. But those same questions could be asked about video switching, multiple zones, remotely controlled volume and any number of other features.

Burke

Comment

• dsmith
                              • Jan 2003

My problem with the LCD screen is: 1) it adds to the electronic "noise" in the unit that could affect the audio, though I understand you can turn it off; 2) it adds cost for a feature many do not want; 3) you pay a relatively high price (assuming it adds $500 to the price) for something you may seldom use, and that is primarily for the convenience of the custom installer.

All they need to do is put an audio out on the front so the custom installer can connect a portable LCD unit to do his thing.

Fortunately, some brands offer a similar but less expensive model without the LCD screen. For example, I believe Parasound's Halo C-1 has the screen while the C-2 does not. ATI's 8500 has the screen - the 7500 does not.

dsmith

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                • Aug 2000

I agree with the potential for "noise". Less important to performance, but still important considering a large dollar purchase, is the LCD screens make these pre/pros ugly as hell.

Even the otherwise very attractive Halo & Rotel units look like poo with the LCD. I'd like to see dSmith's idea of an easy access video out for those who want this feature.

-Sili
                                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• dsmith
                                  • Jan 2003

Silli, thanks for correcting me, I did mean to say "video" out. And please call me "Don." I almost never answer to "dsmith."

Don

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                    • Aug 2000

And please call me "Don." I almost never answer to "dsmith."
                                    I certainly hope not, it's hard to pronounce.

-Sili
                                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lyle S (EdCal)
                                      • Feb 2003

Hi, One more for your list of the lesser known variety:

Audio Refinement Pre 2 DSP (A line of YBA)

I hope to audition one in my home setup some time. I've heard it at the local dealer and it is a nice sounding very simple design that incorporates analog pass through for DVD - A or SACD with component video switching, svideo switching, some variable bass management. The current model doesn't have PL II but I think an upgrade is soon to be released that replaces the DSP chip to add this feature.

Lyle.

Comment

• dsmith
                                        • Jan 2003

Lyle, I auditioned the Audio Refinement Pre2 DSP and I agree it is a very clean sounding unit. But I found its user interface extremely annoying, and its remote is inadequate - no direct input selection, and you have to toggle through the formats. The manual was poorly written and translated from French. I could not locate one of the function buttons it described. Digital processing was excellent, but switching formats was cumbersome. It does have an EQ function, but as I recall does not have OSD! Its analog bypass was very good, but I preferred my Citation. You are right it is scheduled to be upgraded with a new chip - you have to send it back to the dealer, but it is supposed to be free or minimal cost.

On pure audio performance I rate it above average, but on functionality it has some problems, IMO. But it may be just right for you, and it is well made and priced at a good level. Try it for yourself.

Don

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"