Anthem AVM-20 vs. B&K REF50 in 2-channel...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lee-M
    • Feb 2003

Anthem AVM-20 vs. B&K REF50 in 2-channel...

These two units are the top two finalists on my list of pre-processors to hook into my Rotel 1095 5-channel amp...
    I feel pretty comfortable with either unit for HT sound, but the two channel analogue listening is what I am concerned about. I gave up my McCormack TLC-1 and DNA-1 combo to go multi-channel separates, and I am missing the two-channel music listening bliss (currently using an HK520 receiver as a pre-pro).

The Anthem tops the list, but I am seeing the B&K available for a cool thousand less...
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

You are right that either of those units will do a terrific job on HT surround sound. Both do a fine job on two channel music as well, but each handles it slightly differently. Although I've spent several hours each listening to both units and could tell you which I would choose based on my opinion of their sound in light of my own listening preferences, since two channel sound is so important to you, your decision should be based on your own listening to them, using music you are familiar with (and preferably in familiar surroundings), rather than being swayed too heavily by any comments on the subject offered here.

Another consideration, even if all other things were equal, (which of course they never are), :>) is the user interface. The Anthem AVM-20 allows virtually complete control of the most-likely-to-be- used functions from either the front panel or the remote. With its minimalist front panel design, the B&K almost requires use of the remote and an external video display, not just to set it up, but to control it in day-to-day use as well. (The few controls on the front panel can take on different functions, and to keep track of what is happening, the external display comes in real handy.) If you plan to make extensive use of macros and preset your most used functions, that may not be a major hurdle. OTOH, if you like having discrete buttons for each operation, then the Ref 50 probably isn't for you. Again, it would be good to play around with both and see which of their user interfaces is more to your liking.

If you prefer the sound of one and the user interface of the other, you've got a tough decision (and that may be where the $1K difference comes into play). Of course, if one or the other wins on both sound and user interface, then the price difference becomes a much less important consideration -- better to get what you really like than to have buyer's remorse later for having saved a few/spent too many bucks.

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lee-M
      • Feb 2003

Thanks for the advice... I had not considered the difference in day-to-day set-up options; and since I do not like to use the on-screen set-up very often, that would put one more point in the Anthem's corner.

Regarding the comparison allowed by auditioning: I have no local dealer for B&K, so I would most likely be deciding on the unit by comparing reviews and features (which is one reason I am posing the question in this forum )...

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Hey Burke,

Is the remote that comes with the Ref 50 the MX-500 or the MX-700. They're both great remotes but if it's the MX-700 that's a huge advantage as that is an incredible remote.

The Anthem's remote, while nice (especially it's rubbery grip) is pretty basic by comparison.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by SiliGoose
          Is the remote that comes with the Ref 50 the MX-500 or the MX-700. They're both great remotes but if it's the MX-700 that's a huge advantage as that is an incredible remote
          The MX-700 comes with the Ref50 (also the B&K 507 receiver, I believe).

Michael

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"