X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

$500 budget for a (used) cd player

What's available on the used market that will smoke my Pioneer DV-525? I received a couple of recommendations to have the Pioneer modified at ModWright.. but I don't know about that. Anyone experienced a ModWright mod? This will be used for 2 channel only with the B&K Pro10 and Ref4420 I just picked up. No external dac right now.

Or should I use an external dac with the Pioneer?

How would I get the best out of my CDs?

Tom
    Tom
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Tom,

Ah, now more fun can start. You can play the dac/cdp game. $300-500 used will get you a very good dac (data perpetuaties, parasound, msb, ead, etc). Once you buy Dac A, you compare it to your pioneer's dacs, with pioneer as transport. If Dac A doesn't provide a noticeable improvement, sell it and get Dac B. Once you have a dac that clearly outperforms the Pioneer, you're sitting pretty. Once the upgrade buy hits, buy Dac C...but keep Dac B in the system to compare...Dac C must beat Dac B head-to-head before it stays in the system..and the cycle starts over

I did this and ended up with the Parasound DAC1600 on a $400 budget. When I want an improvement, I might go after $800 used dacs. Differences between dacs and cd players can be so small and system dependent that reviews don't really help, you need to a/b on the fly, level-matched in your system to be sure.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Used Sony S7000 DVD/CD unit, great CD player.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

There's an awful lot of options from spending between $400 and $1K. What is best for you depends on the rest of your system and electronics, and overall goals- which may change as you discover and evaluate new pieces.

There are some additional options if you're handy with a soldering iron and not afraid of kits.

For "bang for the buck" with relatively conventional DAC cirruitry (i.e., op amp outputs), I'd shop around for a used Parts Connection DAC (which were available in kit form), particuarly one of their later models, like the 2.6, or the 3.0.

For something a bit more exotic, I've built a few MP-DAC II's from Hawk Audio in the Netherlands; very robust power supply, and totally discrete non feedback analog output stage, combined with Crystal semi 24 bit chip set. Very smooth sound, detailed but in a low key way that doesn't call attention to itself- i.e., not bright, hard, forward, or edgy.

Moving on to the fully built outboard DAC category for $1K, a unit I've heard briefly that was quite impressive, and which has impeccable bench performance is the Music Fidelity A324 upsampling DAC.

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

There are undoubtedly many others which board members may suggest or recommend from their experience; Rickey's description of the process for evaluation is pretty much spot on. It's important to find what works for you in your system.

For me, the MP-DAC was a bit of an ear opener, as it provides substantially better CD reproduction than the big Sony SACD players. It's led me on some interesting design directions, and now I have an interesting kluge up prototype I've been listening to for a few months with upsampling, transformer coupling between the DAC converter and non feedback class A output stage. And also a pretty massive power supply. You may note that I'm something of a fan of non-feedbac electronics, and have some Ayre gear; as a reference for what you could be shooting for at moderate price, I'd go out and give a listen to an Ayre CX-7 CD player- I think it's the "standard" in it's price range, but then I'm probably not really objective! Giving some pieces like the Music Fidelity or the Ayre a good listen will also give you a way to calibrate your expectations, so you have some basis for "rating" the performance of less costly units, while also having a good grasp of what is possible at some faintly reasonable price.

Good luck in your hunt, and happy listening.

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"