X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMT
    • Aug 2000

Twisted Pair vs. Coax

In reading the specs for analog audio cables, I see many cables with twisted pair geometry, typically with one of the pair for signal, the other ground and the shield connected to ground at only one end of the cable. However, I've also read that coaxial construction is suitable for analog audio.

Is there any benefit in using one over the other for singled-end RCA audio connections? Comments from you technical experts would be greatly appreciated.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

You'll find a lot of opinions about this. I'm sure Lex can chime in with some insights, also.

In general, for audio, even single ended connections, I prefer a twist pair or twisted quad approach (quad using an interleave braiding, similar to Kimber, which cuts inductance and increases CMRR), with an external shield which is only grounded at one end. If a sheild is doing it's job, and the cable is routed in a "EMI dirty" area, there is the potential to have induced sheild current in the shield which then shows up as a relative voltage difference on the input hot. For Video, with a typical maximum S/N of 55-65 dB, this isn't a big deal, and the characteristic impedance uniformity of coax makes it the choice. For Audio, S/N is more important, and I think the benifts of not having the shield connected at both ends as the low side signal connection are clear.

As Obi Wan would say, "trust your feelings, Luke", and trust what you hear in your system when comparing cables.... theory only goes so far.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Good to see you EMT.

Great post Jon, as usual. you do know it gets rather boring, all those quality posts. Just once, I'd like to see you say, well, I just don't know.

As to my explanation on this topic. I'd rather see it covered at "the cable forum", www.thecableforum.com, as that site just isn't cooking at all yet.

But it's also part of what we do here, so the reason I think you hear more positives about twisted pair, other than possible "number" differences by two wires being twisted, is that the best audio cables have no shielding at all, it can simply sounds better. But as the next best thing, is the shielding connected just at the source. Of course, do that with coax would be difficult, unless your running 2 runs of coax, as some of my designs have 2 runs of RG-59. So, twisted pair with shielding lends itself well to that design of connecting the shield only at the source. That means any noise picked up, basically falls off the signal at the source. So, from that perspective, twisted pair is a preferred design over standard single run coax.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RedStep
        • Sep 2002

Signal traveling on cable is influenced by two major factors, internal and external. Major fundamental internal factors are those of electrostatic/electromagnetic field interplay and electron migration. I believe the theory behind twisted cable is that it benefits in this area, where coax would not!

RedStep
        We are truly a product of the decisions we make
        RedStep
        We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Yeah, unless the coax is twisted. :LOL:

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"