X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

RF is driving me crazy!!!!

For years I had my components sitting on both sides of my TV, and everything worked fine. I decided to move everything along a side wall instead so they wouldn't be between my speakers and front wall. Now, the turntable or the phono stage, has turned into a radio.
    Just in case it is a ground loop hum I tried all the usual things, unplugged every component, ground cheaters, made sure the sat. and tv were in different circuits from my other components, etc.

My basic configuration is:
    All the digital stuff goes through my Casablanca II
    The front L and R channels from the Casablanca goes through my Audio Research Pre amp.
    All the analog stuff (phono stage, and tuner) go through the Audio Research.
    The phono stage has a seperate battary pack so doesn't even need to be plugged in when in use.

If I unhook the Sat. and TV cables and unplug the TV and Sat. box from the wall the RF goes away, even though I am using a different circuit from the other electronics. So, is this a problem with a common ground? Why would moving the components but, not changing the circuit they were plugged into cause the problem? Anybody got any suggestions?
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Here's a wild guess. Your coax is becoming a big antenna? Happens that the new location is in the path?

Perhaps the cable or satellite is not grounded welll, thus receiving interference?

This problem is vexing for me as well. I am picking up some hum from one of my speakers, and haven't as yet isolated it at all.

Goodluck Bob. Maybe Jon can offer better suggestions than I.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

Lex,
      Thanks for the reply. Turned out to be a interconnect problem. I pulled to hard or something in the process of moving everything and reconnecting. Fixed it with a little solder and some shrink tubing and viola, no more RF or hiss. Now there is either music or the black nothingness we want to hear between notes.
      Vinyl can sometimes be a bit of work but, it is so hard to listen to music seriously on a CD if you can listen to analog instead.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"