X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

My day with an $80k music system....

I spent this past weekend at John Fairchild’s home in East Hampton, NY (Long Island). John is DT member Sattothestars. He is a dealer and happens to have a 2 channel setup that retails about 80 grand

The room is 20x14, with the speakers on the 14 ft wall. A lot of acoustic treatments, and all the windows were covered with some tapestry. There are no unnecessary objects, just the gear and one chair. I got to try all 3 preamps.

The first was the $8k solid state Orpheus. The sound was sweet, warm, and with lots of detail. Since the amp’s left channel was not outputting properly (and also starting to slightly distort) and the Orpheus does not have balance control, the “stronger” right amp pulled the soundstage 1-2 feet to the right. Therefore, the soundstage was not wall to wall.

The second was the $8k Blue Circle tube preamp, with balance control and no remote. After centering the soundstage, we did some listening (first time for John with this preamp). I thought the sound was nice, but not as sweet or even as warm as with the Orpheus. Strange considering the Blue Circle has tubes. And the soundstage had very little depth, or almost no front to back imaging. At this point, I thought my own NHT 3.3 based system was “in the ballpark”….haha!

The last was the $5k prototype solid state Spectron; also with a balance control, but no remote (what’s up with that!). The sound was very good. Huge soundstage, wall to wall, front to back. Vocals are to die for. The imaging was superb. This sound has it all, except for maybe dance club-like bass (you can turn up the bass by tweaking the sub, which was integrated at 35hz). The rooms at the recent NYC show would be jealous

Here is John’s system (from his DT profile). I’m sure John will comment and also answer questions in the duplicate thread in digitaltheater.com. Maybe which other speakers, CD players, amps, etc he has tried in his never ending quest for sonic perfection.

PREAMP
    Orpheus Lab Preamplifier
    Spectron premp(prototype)
    Blue Circle tube preamp

AMPLIFICATION
    Audio Aero Capitole Amplifier --- left channel not outputting as much as right

FRONT END
    Audiomeca Mephisto II
    Philips SACD 1000(modified) --- not hooked up
    Pioneer 555CDR

SPEAKERS
    Von Schweikert VR7s(upgraded to MKII)
    1 Von Schweikert S3 subwoofer

ANALOG --- not hooked up
    AuidoMeca Romeo/Romance TT with Dynavector
    Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 Signature phono preamp

PCs/CONDITIONING
    (6)Stealth MC7 PCs
    Richard Grey 1200(3 of them)
    Furman 1520 AC line stabilizer
    Vansevers lens and window system
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Yeah, I remember that guy. Sounds like a great setup, when it's working exactly right. I have heard great things about the Von Schweikert.

Why so many things unplugged?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• LarryB
      • Dec 2001

Ricky:

Two questions:

1. What is your opinion of the VR7's?

2. What was your reaction to his sytem overall? Was it anything less than mindblowing?

Larry

P.S. I currently have 2 stereo preamps (1 SS, 1 hybrid) with an all-tube model on the way (ordered it on Saturday). But alas, I'm not quite at the $80K level.

Comment

• Ricky
        • Aug 2000

Lex,

Being a dealer, he probably has alot of gear going in and out of the system, that's why the TT was not hooked up.

Larry,

I think the VR7s in that system were awesome. A nice blend of detail, warmth (much warmer than my nht 3.3 system), and soundstage. Probably not the deepest bass. But the speakers may be a tad too big for the 20x14 room. I think the special edition VR5s that we heard at the show would be similiar in most rooms (retail $12k, my friend is selling for 6-7k).

80k probably breaks out around: VR7 (25), amp (10), preamp (9), cdp (7), cables (10), TT (5), subwoofer (4), sacd with mods (5), power conditioner, etc.....

The system is awesome, but sound is subjective, especially at this level.

Comment

• LarryB
          • Dec 2001

Ricky:

Thanks for the info. If you have a chance, could you give me a call at work today?

Thanks.

Larry

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"