X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What Goes Where With Sound?

We spend a good bit of our time talking (and testing) our systems to get the most out of them. We want the cymbals to sound right, we want the brass, woodwinds, drums, guitars, vocals, keyboards, gun fire, jets, explosions, refrigerator doors closing - all - to sound right and to have the proper "presence" in our music and movies. We spend a good bit of time trying to balance/flatten our room response curves to help with this. We talk about treble, mid-range, mid-bass, bass, but I've never seen or heard anyone diagram where each of these fall on the frequency chart. For example: What frequency range does a saxophone play in? What frequency range does a kick-drum play in? What range does an M-16 firing play in? Where do the various type of vocals - soprano, tenor, bass, etc fall? Does anyone have something like this?

Some very minor worshiping/grovelling might be in order if you do. ;x(

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

More info here
    Musical instruments frequencies, a real life guide to understand which frequencies can produce real musical instruments - TNT - Internet HiFi magazine

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

thanks thomas I've wondered the same thing myself.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Good answer , Thomas.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Thomas, this is exactly what I was looking for. However, this data raises some questions:

1) The first graph shows the human voice reaching 10kHz, the TNT page shows a top of 1.1kHz. Can a person reach 10 kHz?

2) The TNT page shows:
          Interesting that a sound system will produce almost all the musical fundamentals of an orchestra without bothering the tweeter... thank Heaven for harmonics!

What does the tweeter reproduce? Is it just harmonics? 8O Or does the piano at 4.2kHz move into the tweeter realm?

3) What about cymbals?

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

David

What the tweeter plays is dependant on the XO point. The lower the XO the more fundamentals the tweeter plays.

Yes 4.2Khz is certainly being played by a tweeter.

I'm not sure how high a female soprano can sing. It's certainly very high though....

Cymbals are completely played by the tweeters.

As the TNT page notes MOST of the fundamentals can be covered by a single speaker (think about the stock radio in a car). But its reproducing the lowest and highest notes as well that makes what we called Hi-Fi

Harmonics and Partials

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"