X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Help pick an amp

A friend of mine with significantly more cash and less time than I is letting me outfit his all new sound system for a new house he moves into next month. So . . . looking for some opinions on gear I can't afford.

Music is one of his highest priorities, and money is not much of an issue, but he doesn't spend it without some arm twisting. I am recommending he get a set of VMPS RM40's for speakers, and am pondering which amp would be best suited for these. He's not likely to upgrade for quite a while, if ever, but nonetheless, I am trying to stay under $5-7K for two channel amplification.

I'm thinking he will bi-amp the RM40's, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on AV Reality's eAR digital amp based on the ICE module? I realize no one here has likely heard one, but wondered if Jon M or others could comment on the technology used. They are discounted as an introductory price right now.

Also, what would be a good choice to drive the woofers with the eAR (or other amp)?

Also considering Bryston's, maybe the lesser Plinus.

This will also like integrate into some sort of HT, but that will be very secondary. His room is about 15 x 18, with the speakers to be on the shorter wall. We will also be treating the room, as it will be dedicated to the sound system.

?

BB
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Brandon,

Where does your friend live? I note that your email address implies you're in Tokyo- is that corrrect?

For anyone shopping for an amplifier in the price range you're discussing, I really think they owe it to themselves to hear an Ayre V-5 or V-6 (the latter is multichannel). Though I build a lot of my own gear, including amps, I purchased a new V-5 last year. The newest issue of The Perfect Vision has a review of the V-6- quite favorable, I might add.

Other amps to listen to would be the Theta Intrepid and Dreadnaught, and the big BAT solid state amp.

A common theme here is no loop feedback.

A several of my audio inclined friends have auditioned the Ayre at my recommendation- all have purchased. So be careful.

In Japan, Ayre is available through

Stellavox Japan, Ltd.
    51-10 Nakamaru-cho
    Itabashi-ku, Tokyo 173-0026
    Japan
    ph: +81-3-3958-9333
    fax: +81-3-3958-9322

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Oops. Moved home from Tokyo 9 months ago. I'll go fix my profile. My friend and I are both in Los Angeles.

I'd forgotten about the Ayre amps, I've read your discussions of them.

If he went with those, do you think he'd have much to gain bi-amping, and would it be overkill to use an Ayre on the bass?

BB

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

I have listen to the Dreadnaught many times and have been very impressed with the quality of sound. The nice thing about this amp you can start off with two channels and then latter add channels when your friend move into HT. I should mention that I own the pre amp Casablanca so I might be biased.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I have really enjoyed my Proceed Amps. (HPA-2, AMP-5) Jon tells me, go listen to an Ayre, or a Theta. Well, I would, but.... Sometimes, we have to be happy with things as they are. This is one of those times for me.

How about the Sonus faber Cremona for speakers? Oh my, these things are breathtaking! @ around 7500 bucks, look to be a veritable steal- Or if money is no object, the 22,500 Amati Hommage should get the job done.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

If you're just talking about "bi-wiring", with separate inputs to the passive crossovers connected to different amps, I'd suggest trying just an Ayre first, by itself. There's 16 output devices in each channel; they're OK with difficult speaker loads, though for thermal reasons they're only FTC rated down to 4 ohms.

If it's a true biamping setup, crossover and sub, pick the crossover very carefully, or use one just to fill in the lowest registers of the main's. I have a Sumiko Delialah that's pretty cool (also not available anymore); it's NLFB on the HP (but bufffered), has variable frequencies on HP and LP, and two polarities of bass output drive, so you can bridge and mono bridge.

In Sourthern CA, Ayre is at

Encinitas
            Passion Audio
            119 North El Camino Real
            Suite G
            Encinitas, CA 92024
            ph: 760-633-1966
            fax: 760-633-1330

San Rafael
            Kepke Audio Video Design
            120 Garden Ave.
            San Rafael, CA 94903-4220
            ph: 415-472-3290
            fax: 415-479-0330
            email: bernie@kepke.com

Santa Monica
            Optimal Enchantment
            522 Santa Monica Blvd.
            Santa Monica, CA 90401
            ph: 310-393-4434

By all means listen to some BAT and Theta gear, too. But I think you may find your friend prefers the Ayre after some critical listening. The V-6 can be purchased with any number of channels he wants to start out with, and upgraded from there, up to six channels. It's a skosh heavy, like the Dreadnaught and the big BAT. There's a review of the V-6 in the April-May "The Perfect Vision".

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• LarryB
              • Dec 2001

Brandon:

As I think very highly of Ayre products, I'll second that recommendation.

John:

Thought you'd be interested to hear that I compared the DACS available in the D1 to the Levinson 360S, and I preferred the Ayre. As I currently have a DAC-less D1, and use a Levinson 360 for processing, I am thinking about switching.

Larry

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Any day now I expect John to come on like the Gentleman from Remington and say:

I liked the Ayre so well, I bought the company.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well, Lex, the guy who does own most of the company and runs and designs the gear (Charles Hansen) used to work for me when he was a physics student at CU, and he used to introduce me as the Grandfather of Avalon Acoustics because of some prototype speakers I gave him when I got married (wife couldn't stand them- 180 lb each in basic black, but this is where Avalon's construction style started).

I have not been completely enamoured of all Ayre products; the first amp didn't really do a lot for me; it used IR FETs and the driver stage couldn't really handle the input capacitance; HF performance suffered and distortion a little. But also, the source components available at that time (mid nineties) probably didn't really do it justice; Chas used a CAL audio CD unit with a passive preamp.

The VX1 used FET's I suggested to him, from England (of all places), which I'd used successfully on a pro amp design. The VX1 incorporated some interesting updates to the voltage regulator circuits, including a clever way to make a FET based reference. Like it's predecessors, it uses a choke input power supply, for very quiet AC rails and ground.

The V5 and V6 is a real break with tradition for Chas, because at one time he never thought he'd ever use bipolars- but he's getting a little more open minded, I guess. He originally thought of them as more a "bang for the buck" product, (which they are, pricing wise, for Ayre), but after we came up with the neutralization scheme that allowed driving capacitive loads without an inductor, (used it first for the MOSFETs from England), the V5 (with the Ayre "Power conditioning" was the best sounding amp in their lineup. The power conditioning has been applied to other models since then - the X mod.

Larry:

I'm not to surprised to hear your comments about the D1 DAC's- I think they're very, very good. Also, you'll always get the absolute best performance with an integrated solution with common clocks. If you upgrade, I think you'll be very pleased, especially as you have time to listen to a variety of music. As I commented on a thread in the "In tunes" section, the D1 is still the best CD player I've heard (now, I haven't heard everything by any means, but it certainly should be on anyone's audition list. I'm looking forward to finding out how the CX-7 does- Chas is pretty pleased with himself about the "bang for the buck" factor with that unit).

-Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• LarryB
                    • Dec 2001

Jon:

I'm looking forward to finding out how the CX-7 does- Chas is pretty pleased with himself about the "bang for the buck" factor with that unit).
                    Did you mean the new AX-7 integrated, or is there another product I'm not yet familair with?

Larry

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

The CX-7 is an integrated CD player with cosmetics and form factor very similar to the AX-7.

I tend to thing of these as real "music lovers" components; not mega power, or audio jewelry, but a lot of transparency into the musical event.

My idea of personal affluence would be if I were able to afford these for my bedroom system, though I have the feeling the CX-7 may set a new standard for price/performance in CD playback, wherever it's used. We'll see!

-Jon

Earth First!
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"