• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

An evening with the Classe' CP-35

Gentlement and lady?

I am as a result of going to the local audio store to test my first pair of XLR Silvercats I built, now auditioning the Classe' in my system. Ok, well beside it, lol. My rack runneth over, so it's not quite so easy as just sliding it in. If I keep it, then my 2 channel amp comes out front with the Classe' and I create a little room in my rack to get some of the top-heavy clutter gone. Like 4 components on top of my rack.

First problem was, Ack, no DAC! I looked long and hard for a digital input, but this baby doesn't sport DACs, she's a purist. So, I said, well, looks like the S7000 will have to provide DAC support. Check, once, I got those technical snafus fixed, no batteries in the remote! Ahh, a metal remote, not some cheezy plastic thing.

My first impression? Bass seems weaker, but purer, and the highs are well, very transient. I need to do more listening, but am interested in your thoughts on this piece and what a used one is worth.

Nice thing is, this piece will enable me to test all my pretest all my XLR cables I build. Incidentally, the first pair worked well on Levinson/Revel gear. :B

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Lex, the tonal balance you describe, assuming I'm understanding you correctly in that you're running the analog output of your S7000 into the Classe, is that of the S7000. (I owned one, gave it to ThomasW to kick start him on DVD).

It sounds a touch thin and bright next to an XA7ES, and the difference is even more apparent going up against an SACD player like the SCD777ES.

The Classe is a good peice, but combined with silver cats, it may force you to re-examine other components in your system. If you're gunning for superlative music, that's not a bad thing at all, if your wallet can stand the damage. The 777ES re-vitalized my music listening (along with a new passive preamp and some Aragon Amps). But, I think you get the drift- the more accurate, transparent, and detailed several parts of your system are, (say, in your case, cables plus preamp, speakers), the more other possile weak links will be high lighted.

Sony's got a ton of new SACD product coming out, at all kinds of price points ($300 and up), and has introduced a new DSD DAC converter chip set, so I'm excited to see how they stack up and perform. I would dearly like to get my girlfriend into something better sounding at her place (currently, a Sony XA20ES I've loaned her).

Happy listening, Lex,

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, here I am just scraping by trying to get a 2 channel pre-amp, and Jon's upgrading me to SACD, ROFL. Thanks a lot Jon.

Well, some of the difference in bass could be more transparent highs, that's a fact. Of course, when I am at my computer, I practically have a tweeter in my ear, lol.

I need to sit back and enjoy the music for a bit before bed, get away from this thing, the cables, and all.

But one thing's for sure. For 800 bucks, gonna be hard to beat this piece with balanced inputs and outputs. I have no balanced outputs on anything else, but do have balanced inputs on my Proceed amps. Thank goodness! After all, testing of Balanced is something I need.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Lex,

I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with a better $800 preamp expenditure than the Classe you're looking at.

The cool thing is that there is a lot of good used equipment on the market these days. In some cases, I've come across people who were swapping out electronics and other stuff, looking for that extra zing, when their problem was in another part of their system, such as relatively expensive but low res speakers.

ThomasW has been on a real rampage locating good deals on used Aragon amps, for example, his shopping skills have benefitted me also! If you've noticed the futures pricing on used Aragons going up lately, it's probably because of Tom!

Seriously, try to beg or borrow an SACD player for a home demo- the Sony 9000 DVD player is pretty good, so is the 333ES carousel player. Just try it out with your CD's, and for a peek at the full potential, if you're into pop, say, pick upo something like the Kenny Loggins Greatest Hits SACD, or the Titanic Soundtrack SACD. I think it will make a believer of you- if not, I'll buy the SACD's from you at whatever you pay for loaners to friends. Now don't ask me how high sampling rates and DSD technology can make the bass better, but it does. Just ask ThomasW, our resident IB bass freak.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Thanks Jon. Yes, this guy that paid 1300 for this piece about a year ago, went off searching for the holy grail, upgrading to Levinson pre-amp. Of course, he might have found it, but look at what I found in his wake.

Odds are, I will have to buy this CP. As you said, it doesn't get much better than this for 800, unless your someone rich's charity case. lol. I don't have that luxury, so I must try to eat steak on a hamburger budget. Besides, 800 looks much better than an 8K MC-12 to me at this stage. Movies are great, pop bang, fizzle. But when it's all said and done, how is your jazz sounding? That's what carries me through.

Regarding the deficiency of bass, well, as it turns out the speakers were way out of balance. Once I took time, and dialed in the balance, it did seem to smooth out quite a bit. Anxious to do more listening tonight. Obviously, I could offset any bass deficiencies by crossing a sub into the equation. But as somewhat of a purist, I have a hard time justifying a signal split. Now, if there's an output, and I can use my MK sub as the crossover filter, then that could change things. But I just don't know about that part as yet...

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• MichaelW
            • Aug 2000

Lex,

Before you go send $800 on the Classe' preamp you might want to take a look at the Audio Electronic Supply (low overhead arm of Cary Audio design) AE-3 tube preamp. It's only $599 assembled ($399 in kit form). It can be demo'd for 10 days with full return and refund priviledges. Here is the info on the AE-3 preamp.

Another possibility would be the Wright Sound Company WLA12A tube preamp. A bit more money then the AE-3 at $725. Again this can be demo'd for 10 days with full return and refund priviledegs. Here is the info on the WLA12A preamp.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Michael, it appears that they want to keep it a secret as to what outputs they have. I like the balanced inputs and outputs on the Classe'. I know you aren't a solid stater, but sometimes damnit, it just makes sense, lol.

If I don't get balance inputs and outputs, at least the outputs, then the move is self defeating for my business. I simply must have them.

I dunno, the mail order thing just don't know if I want to go there, knowing I have to mail it back if I don't like it, I hate that for something like a pre-amp.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, the price went to 675, so I am buying the Classe'. I know, it's not a tube front end. But I need something rather quickly, and can't go through a long exchange cycle. I need the XLR testing ground.

Already got an amp stand to put in the floor in front of my big screen, so my two channel HPA-2 goes there. How did I get a stand so quick? Well, it's not a stand actually. It's actually some sort of a rack mount cage for a disc drive "Shark" setup, I think. It was discarded by the computer room folks. It's not uncommon for computer rooms with large racks to just throw away solid mounting aparatuses. The stand is made out of that black textured metal on the sides, is frame reinforced, and has a grate looking front and a closed back. Best I can tell, it's almost the perfect size for the amp, and man that sucker is heavy. The Gods were kind to me today. I think it would hold both my amps if you wanted to stack that much weight. Of course, I can't and won't do that due to ventilation, and I don't want the 5 channel amp in the floor anyway, lol.

Now to get something similar for my two channel pre-amp!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Well, the free stand didn't work out so well. I put it back in the garage, lol.

But here's a view of what I did get.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Wait a minute, how did that cable get on that page? lol. Just threw that in there.

The stand is a Lovan Sovereign (sp?) series.

My 2 channel amp is now connected with Coppercats via RCA, and the 2 channel pre-pro via XLR Silvercats.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Looking great! Have you noticed an improvement in you 2ch listening with the new equipment?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"