X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inscrutable
    • Aug 2000

My "last" CDP? (long)

In a continuing 3-steps-up-and-2-steps-back game of Home Improvement, I recently separated my HT and 2-ch systems. Unfortunately, my megachanger destined for semi-temp duty in the 2-ch setup didn't fit in the new Salamander rack, so I gave it to my brother-in-law [which was his FIRST foray into digital! - and you vinyl guys think you're retro :w ]

Anyway, I've pressed into service a 10-yr old JVC CDP for very temp duty. I was going to build a tube pre to replace the receiver, but now replacing this is higher priority. In my typical engineer's overkill, I've got a plethora of options and need to focus. General guidelines: I listen to music 2-3 times as much as view movies, could spend up to 1000 on a "keeper" or 4-500 for semi-temp. I'm not unhappy with current dvd, and at least a year from HDTV upgrade. I'm comfortable buying used, and likely to.

Narrowed options:
    1. Better dvd and move extg to cd duty
    2. Better dvd AS cdp (eg. Sony S7000/7700, etc)
    3. Mid-fi cdp(eg. CAL IconII, Rega Planet, Rotel RCD-971, etc - perhaps even as "low" as Marantz CD63/67, Arcam Alpha7, even H/K FL8550, etc)
    4. Lower cost Sony SACD coming out in couple months.
    5. "Keeper" conventional cdp (eg. MF A3, Sony XA7ES, CEC 5100, Adcom GCD750, Arcam Alpha 9, etc)

I'm leaning away from 1 as my video display probably can't take advantage of it and I'm a ways away from upgrading it. I'm leaning away from 5 as I'm not sure the difference between 500 and 1000 is enough to separate "temp" from "keeper". And I'm not sure that jumping into SACD with the lower cost player is smart. So ... I'm leaning toward 2/3 (and mainly 3), with idea that if smoke doesn't clear sufficiently, I can upgrade again with a better outboard DAC.

:? Sanity check (this is a reach) or opinions? Thanks!

Tim
    "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." --- Goethe
    Tim
    "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." --- Goethe
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

So, what's the question? I forget, lol.

You sound like a very confused soul right now. Please just purchase 1 of each and call us in the morning.

Lex

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"